Frustrated with College [doing NVQ3]

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyNyx

Reaction score
I started doing my NVQ level 3 in September. And i've got to say, I am so disappointed with the standard! When I was studying my NVQ2, the level 3's always looked so advanced. They always seemed to be doing creative, technical things and I thought I would learn loads!!

But four and a half months in, when we've done all our 'learning lessons' and are now just doing open salons to get our assessments done, I really don't feel like i've learnt anything at all!

We're doing an extensions unit instead of perming, and we literally had about four lessons on the subject, were halfheartedly shown the techniques and then left to our own devices. I'm trying to practise on my block at home to get timing and technique upto scratch, but without anybody being there to tell me if i'm doing it well or not, it's hard to know!

Also, a chunk of our year was spent on creative hair-up's. I'm really annoyed by this, as on my level 2 we only got shown french plait, vertical roll and watched a patrick cameron DVD or two......so I was really looking forward to learning new skills and progressing. But instead of actually showing us any techniques, we were just told to use our imagination and left to make messes of our doll's heads. Now they want us to get our Hair Up assessments out the way - but there is no way anyone in our classes hair-up would be passable!!

I will admit, that I do feel like my abilities [cutting and colouring] have improved since starting my level 3 ... but I feel like that is more because we're getting the practise in and not because we've been taught anything that would make a difference.

I'm really interested in learning new colouring techniques, head shaving, pattern colouring and all the modern things like that, but everytime I bring it up the teachers say they'll give me a demo and then just get us doing hair-ups on blocks again instead. I'm really annoyed that i've spent £700 to get this qualification, which is supposed to make me more desirable to potential bosses ... when I don't seem to be getting anything but a piece of paper from it.

I would love to get out of my small, mostly unemployed town to work in a city as well ... but wouldn't know the first thing what to do with afro-carribean hair or anything like that!

I know that I am a smart and driven young woman and I truly love hairdressing. I feel strongly that it is what I want to do but I just don't feel like I will be truly ready for industry when I finish my level 3. I don't think I am a bad hairdresser at all, but I feel so under confident with the level of teaching that I have received [both on my level 2 and level 3] that I would be scared to apply for anywhere other than the hairdressers in my town because I know that they wont expect much from me.

Anyways, Sorry about that - But I just needed to rant.
If anybody can give me some good hairdressing book suggestions, or training seminars or anything like that i'd really appreciate it.

xx

Ok I teach level 3, if I were you I'd look in the prospectus from when you enrolled and write down all the things you expected of this course and see if your expectations Match the prospectus if they do and this prospectus isn't put into practice then there is a breakdown within the method of you tutors teaching criteria and what she is meant to teach your say re: hair extensions for example I know it is relatively easy to fit these, but there's the cutting of them and how to place them in the head and what size to do them and the teaching of a gravity testing and I can honestly say it takes alot longer than you have stated, I'm not however judging you tutors teaching as the course hasn't finished yet and he or she may want to go over things, within level 3 your tutor will or is meant to have a talk with you for a one to one review so make it clear what your expectations were of this course and how your finding a little difficult accessing creative knowledge with the class. One other thing is try talking to other students and see if they feel the same. Good luck

they do feel the same, we all got together with our tutors and complained about it, and they just fobbed us off. all fifteen of us made a big list on the board in a free session and had a big meeting about it with our four tutors and they literally had an excuse for everything, didn't listen to us and basically said it is how it is stop moaning, but in a nicer way :{

So it's a 15 to 4 then it's a college principal matter, they have sold you a product (level3 course) that your not happy with and they clearly stated on the description of the prospectus that you will receive level 3 training. They are clearly not following what they described when enrolling, they are therefore in breach of the trades description act, they are also in breach of there higher education contract as you are all unhappy with the tutor and the teaching methods and you are clearly not being taught to your expectations within the higher education sector.

Hi

I have been doing my NVQ 3 over 2 years. I feel I have learnt a lot, we have just spent 3 weeks covering colour correction. When we did unit GH20 we were shown weaving, different types of plaiting, rolls etc, over a 3 week period. For cutting we had lessons covering disconection, razoring, a-symetrical. I think you should complain further.
best wishes xxx

Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely be chasing this up as you have just re-inforced my belief that we're not being taught at an appropriate level x

Latest posts

Back