Full Set for a 12 year old????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphrodite

Reaction score
A lady has booked her 12 year old daughter to have a full set for a party she's going to this weekend. She has bitten nails. I'm not really sure where i stand here as i've done lots of nail art of children under the age of 12 but never a full set....

The receptionist booked it in after asking my permission but at the time i assumed it was jsut for nail art - what should i do? Part of me thinks it's up to the parents, but the other part thinks she's far too young..

Please help!! :|

Aphrodite said:
A lady has booked her 12 year old daughter to have a full set for a party she's going to this weekend. She has bitten nails. I'm not really sure where i stand here as i've done lots of nail art of children under the age of 12 but never a full set....

The receptionist booked it in after asking my permission but at the time i assumed it was jsut for nail art - what should i do? Part of me thinks it's up to the parents, but the other part thinks she's far too young..

Hiya,
When you say a full set, Do you mine nail enhancements ie;L&P?
I would suggest using glue on full nails that can be removed after the party.
I know that my daughters school would not allow enhancements on their pupils. If the mother insists for permenant nails to be done, I would get her to sign a constent form saying that she has made the decision for the work to go ahead, and that you will not be responsible for any problems that the child may incur.
I would also make sure that the mother understands that after care of the enhancements is essential.
I would say if you are happy with the mothers request, then the responsiblity as a parent lies with her not you.

i would`nt do em, way too young!
i saw the result of this once, the mothers friend had done these on an 11 year old, the mother came into the salon late one night, child in tow screaming :cry: ,asking if we would take it off, we sent her straight to a&e the whole thing was standing proud in the air from the cuticle still fixed to the nail plate NASTY!

Sheesh :sad: It's such a tough one....

Think i might do what Lesley said, get the mother to sign a consent form, do full nail glue ons, do them extreemely short so she's less likely to catch them and make sure the mother (and daughter) knows all about after care!!

Thanks guys....

Aphrodite said:

Hiya

No way would I do a full set on a 12yr old as Dawn said you could get some nasty accidents as at that age they rough and tumble I would not even do glue on, they do some fab sets in the shops with sticky back tape which in my mind wuld suit this age much better......my neices where them and they look fab just for the party then they can be taken off with no problems at all.

Hope this helps

Dawnie xx

Hello to anyone currently logged in this is my first time on the site.

I am a newish nail Tech trained about 5 months ago.

Can anyone advise me if there is any salons in the London area that would let me do a bit of training just observing etc or is that too much to ask I am desperate to get some guidance and proper training but everytime I go into a salon they don't want to know. What can I do to get proper salon training?? Anybody??

Dawnie has taken the words right out of my mouth!!I was going to suggest the sticky back ones i think way too dangerous to do enhancements on this age its asking for trouble :eek:

Aphrodite said:

Here is a thread which was done in Summer last year entitled Age Limit - it makes some interesting reading, particularly Gigi's reply.

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=773

Hiya,
I havent as much experience as the other girls who have replied to your post but here goes anyway, lol!
Not only is this girl very young but, you said she was a nail biter ... we all know only too well the kind of probs that biters have with extensions.
12 years old into the bargain ....I wouldnt want anything to do with it!

I just read that entire thread and really thought a lot of geeg and ruth's posts:

Geeg wrote:

I have to say ... I was waiting to hear from some of our American friends because I know that many teens have their nails done in the USA and some REGULARLY as this age group has a lot of disposable income and they LOVE their nails.

Why are all the UK technicians making decisions for this age group??

Why are you all acting like you are going to cause some irreparable damage to these clients??

Don't you yourselves believe you can do nails without causing damage??

Teens are a huge area of opportunity and in my experience they look after their nails brilliantly!! They're not doing housework or ANY work usually and if they are sporty, they probably aren't interested in having their nails done because they know they will damage them.

Why do you assume that just because a person is young they will pick at their enhancements and destroy them?

I think a lot of you are being very shortsighted here. If the parent consents to the treatment ... and the teen wants the nails ... who are WE to close her purse and say NO? Why should we even? We live in a free country!! It's not our place to make parental decisions for other parents just because we might not agree with their ideas. And it is silly to make assumptions based on what maybe your child would do.

Mrs Geek badgered me from the age of 15 to do her nails and then her girlfriends came along and then their mothers and so on and it was in fact the start of my whole career/business!!

I know I won't damage the natural nails of the client ... aren't you all as confident as to the same outcome??

NailsinLondon1 wrote:

Hi All,
I must admit I was very anti doing teenage nails....................
but I have just read Geegs post and there are some valid points in there.
Which made me look at this again, but in a different light.........

Lets face it, we are talking nails and not tattooing a bald eagle on their chest, or piercing their belly button or what ever there is to pierce.
I still think parental concent is a key factor here.
Even tho some parents take their new born babies to have their ears pierced, and the poor sods don't even get a choice to that decission.

Why are all the UK technicians making decisions for this age group??

Why are you all acting like you are going to cause some irreparable damage to these clients??

Don't you yourselves believe you can do nails without causing damage??

Fair point, I dont cause nail damage to an adult nail, so why would I cause damage to a teenage nail.??

Teens are a huge area of opportunity and in my experience they look after their nails brilliantly!! They're not doing housework or ANY work usually and if they are sporty, they probably aren't interested in having their nails done because they know they will damage them.

Wouldn't it be better if the girly Teenagers then came to us and not resort to the Supermarket ones, do it themselfs and the due to lack of expertise end up with airbubles, moisture and greeny bits???
If Nails is their thing, why not do it the propper way?????

Why do you assume that just because a person is young they will pick at their enhancements and destroy them?

Yea what makes us think that ???? Just because the over20's do it doesn't mean that they will...........

think a lot of you are being very shortsighted here. If the parent consents to the treatment ... and the teen wants the nails ... who are WE to close her purse and say NO? Why should we even? We live in a free country!! It's not our place to make parental decisions for other parents just because we might not agree with their ideas. And it is silly to make assumptions based on what maybe your child would do.

I think as long as we are professionals, take parental consent into account, then why are we turning down good business and good money as well.
I am Tech because I love my job, I am Tech because I want to do a great job, so why should I turn a client that obviously wants to look great.
So as with any other client,they or the parent would be made aware of the aftercare, regular visits and all other stuff they would need to know.I would take into account their activity and make the nail suitable for their lifestyle.
I am also business woman which means I run a business, but if I felt the client is unsuitable, may it be teenager or and oldie, I would advise them accordingly

So thats my view on this and you can all shot me in the morning lol
Love to all
Ruth xxx

WOW! I feel so much better now! Of course, if i suggest to the mum that she should bring her daughter back in, in a few days to have them removed (especially as she is a nail biter) then it should be fine.

My sister lives with my dad in Florida. She has worn l&p nails since she was about 12 (she is now 16). She looks after them & gets them regularly maintained. She goes to the same place as my step-mum for the nails and sometimes has other treatments too.

This is completely normal in the USA. Nearly all the girls at her school have them. The school do not object at all. Her sports are cheerleading and track/field so no nail risk there then.

My other little sister who will be 13 soon lives with my mum here in the UK. She wants me to put nails on her for the summer holidays. I said no last year but now I think about it more, I know I will not hurt her or put her at risk so I will do them this summer. (Not allowed to have them at her school). My mum says it is fine only in the school holidays & as long as I do it for free!

'i'd leave this alone personally....if this girl does damages her nails due to her tender age and not thinking about the cosequences before she plays or does whatever and it damagers inturn her natural nail as mentioned in another above this would not be good for your business....People out there probably would blame you and not the mother/parent, but you for allowing the treatment to go ahead...plus kids do crazy stuff ..like kids do when they are playing she's not really going to be thinking oohh my nail might come off when she's play fighting with her sister/brother/friends

I personally beleive this is morally wrong, a girl of 12 should not be so vain nor should her mother treat her like she is an adult. Such a young person should be encouraged to grow her own nails and understand the importance of looking after her self before she is shown how to get the quick fix. At 12 you are still a child and in this day and age when children are trying too hard to be adults before their time and they should remain a child as long a possible and leave adult stuff alone...Plus I doubt very much the school would allow their pupils to have extensions, mine can't wear nail polish let alone extensions....and I am pleased of that fact too.

In my conclusion (good fingers are aching) I know we are all business women and here to make money but I don't beleive at the expense of your own personal judgement and morals.

But hey we don't all think or have the same outlook on life so good luck to you if you choose to go ahead and a hope there are no repercussions... PS check with your insurer that this is allowed to they might just have a clause only protecting the over 16 or 18's.....all the best.. and remember just because one did doesn't mean we all have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back