Fungal Infection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorna

Reaction score
One of my clients came to me a few days ago for her rebalance. She had broken a tip a few days before and she had stuck it back on with superglue. I advised her that it should come off and I would replace with another. She said no go ahead it will be fine. I told her bacteria may already be trapped under it. She called me today and said she had a fungal infection under the acrylic between the plate. Apparently she has had a fungal infection before, a long time ago and knows exactly what she has. She accepts its her fault entirely.

She is coming tomorrow, I will take off the enhancement. I will be careful to use disposables only and use gloves.

One thing I'm not sure about is: I guess the infection have been incubating at the time of the rebalance and is there a chance I could have picked some bacteria onto my acrylic brush on that nail and is there a change I may have infected the rest of her nails with it, even though it could not be seen at the time? what do I advise her when she comes.....never had this before?

I sanitise all my equipment and stray my utensils with the edge Hospital Grade sterilising spray and soak in Star Protect Tripple concentrate. Will all this remove the possible contamination? I give each client a fresh towel after scrubbing up and boil wash all towels.

The other thing is we are in Kuwait, she has been trying to find a cream or lotion to clear the infection today, the local doctor said it should go away on its own...they are not very good at all over here. Can any one give me a few names of products which would do this which I may find over the pharmasists counter? No one knows about Dr G's stuff?

Sorry its a bit long winded but just started 1 1/2 months ago with clients and want to make sure I don't destroy my business before I get really started.

Thanks in anticipation

Lorna

Bet you $1m it's a bacterial infection! Fungal is very rare and generally happens between the bed and plate NOT the plate and enhancement! If there is a green stain, it's bacterial (which is what you said to her in the first place) and check out the tutorial on Moldy Old Fun Guys!!

Dr G's will do nada as will topical creams from over the counter! NO CREAM CAN GET RID OF THE GREEN STAIN! Remove enhancement, clean thoroughly with your sanitiser (if you use CND - that's Scrubfresh)! You may apply a thin layer of L+P over the nail and see her every week - keep her nails painted!

By the time 3 weeks is up, the stain should have grwon up with the nail and will be around the free edge area - soak enhancement off and clip off the free edge taking any stain with it; her nail should be totally back to normal again! You may buff some of the stain whilst prepping but discard the abrasive afterward! Don't over buff and make sure you use 240 grit! Next time '
DON'T ASK HER IF YOU CAN REMOVE THE STUCK ON NAIL - INSIST that you remove it' so that this type of thing doesn't happen again!

This situation is her fault as you were correct in your prescription even using the terminolgy 'bacterial' - but make sure you are more insistant in this type of situation - she may say it's her fault to you - but who knows what she is saying when she is away for you!!!:eek:

HTH's you and if I am wrong - well :o I am sure there are plenty of people who will be ready to tell me ;)

Okay Mrs G what's HTH? - thought I had these initials sussed and along comes another one! - Great reply by the way! (learnt from Gigi recently that it is bacterial and not fungal, and NOT water mould!)

Im sure HTH is hope that helps! So HTH!!!!:p

Sassy Hassy said:
Okay Mrs G what's HTH? - thought I had these initials sussed and along comes another one! - Great reply by the way! (learnt from Gigi recently that it is bacterial and not fungal, and NOT water mould!)
Hey Sassy - 'Hope This Helps'!!! HTH's :biggrin:

Thanks Mrs Geek & Sarah,

one thing more, When I clean the nail and do a new L&P, what do I do with my acrylic Brush, do I sanitize then pour boiling water over it, or do I throw it. Willany residue of the sanitizer affect my L&P? help

Maybe this sounds really dumb but musk ask, then I'll know

TTFN

lorna said:
One thing more, when I clean the nail and do a new L&P, what do I do with my brush? Do I sanitize then pour boiling water over it
NO
Or do I throw it?
NO
Will any residue of the sanitizer affect my L&P?
YES
Maybe this sounds really dumb
NO

Your monomer would kill any germs! When you re-do her nail, only use a small amount of fresh monomer! when you are finished - throw it and use a pipette to add a little more NEW liquid to clean you L+P brush!! That will be fine! Brush cleaners are a waste of money and pointless!! All you need is your chosen L+P monomer to clean your brush!

i used to have a client who superglued broken nails back on and i hated it sometimes it was difficult to tell how many she had glued on she would tell me 2 and as i started filing and looked closer it could be 4 or 5!!!!!!!! i hated it, she would do it all the time she used to use her nails at work and snap them off! fortunatley she never got an infection so hopefully i spotted all the glued ones before infilling them!
she has stopped wearing them now she buys stick on ones which really i do think she is better off with!!!!!!!! she can glue them on as much as she wants and at her peril......

Thanks everyone for all your help, this site is a god send

Lorna X

Latest posts

Back