Ganglion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
I have developed a delightful lump on my inner wrist that my GP assures me is a ganglion...He said to try and put pressure on it as they are just fluid filled and will burst :eek:...

Being of a squeamish disposition I am deferring this 'cure' in the hope that some other less gruesome dispersion method might be advised by some of you geeks ......

Please tell me that if I rub it 3 times with an orangewood stick it will disappear or something similiar ....failing that if any of you have had a ganglion and got rid of it do share (even if the cure is nasty :Scared:)

LOL they look pretty nasty dont they. The old fashion remedy was to bash them hard with a bible!!!! (why a bible I dont know).

I had one on my ankle and dropped the remote control on it, was enough burst it. It come back and then I bashed it hard, it went again and, touch wood, its never returned :eek:

Karaxxx

I had one once and was told to whack it with a bible! In fact, ganglions are also known as 'bible cysts' and walloping them with a bible or a big book used to be widely used as a treatment , but is no longer recommended, as it is not guaranteed to prevent the return of the ganglion, and could in fact cause further injury! The NHS says this: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Excisionofganglion/Pages/Introduction.aspx xx

I have read if you strap a eraser to it over night it goes, the eraser apparently draws out the fluid. Sometimes you need a couple of nights.

My mum and I both had one and they disappeared on their own. Eventually! Xx

Ive had them a couple of times and they eventually go on their own. I was also told the bible trick but too much of a wuss to try it x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have one on my left wrist. It gets bigger & smaller at times but can't figure out why. It was painful to begin with but not any more. Certainly won't be trying the bible treatment either! Doesn't cause any problems so probably best left alone. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

thanks guys, hmmm and all these years I thought those pesky nuns were just belting us with bibles to get religion into us when really they must have spotted ganglions on us all :|

I had mine drained with a big syringe on the nhs it's not completely gone though but too expensive to have them removed surgically

I had a ganglion on my left wrist, it grew quite big in my opinion. I went to the dr's who said whack it with a bible, then laughed and said that was the old method for treatment. I told him it hurt with my job and he said we were supposed to wait 18 months from first GP visit to a referral for removal! Luckily he is a lovely doctor who referred me there and then. I went and had consultant apt he told me most disappear on their own, I could wait,have it syringed out but it has a 40% of it never coming back or have it removed with a 70% chance of it never coming back. I choose to have it removed. On feb 29th this year I had the ganglion removed under a local anaesthetic (very very weird but non pain at all) within 2 weeks I could use my hand again and at 3.5 weeks I was in doing massage again, it hurt a bit after a massage but within 6 weeks that akin had gone. The scar was still tender if I banged it for about 3 months but now it absolutely fine!

I think I t is crazy how care on the NHS can vary across the country.

I had a good sized one on the top of my hand, so I went to the doctor and he removed it there and then for my with a syringe and just put it in the to[ of my hand and extracted the fluid. Was fairly disgusting but painless and it wasnt sore after. Could massage again the same afternoon xxx

I have just last week had a huge one excised from my right big toe. The doctor had tried to syringe and excise back in June but it came back within a week. I went back eventually and I was then immediately referred to the hospital and my wait to have it removed was four weeks. So, yes, this totally sums up the differences in NHS care across the country. Crazy.

Look away if you're squeamish but here's what it looks like after excision!! My toe isn't dirty, it's bruised. Honestly! I wasn't expecting it to be such a big deal given that I walked out of the Doc's the last time with my shoe on. This time, I'm a week down the line and still can't get a shoe on. Worth it. Weird, horrid, pointless lumps!! x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355516913.556673.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355516913.556673.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355516939.667944.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355516939.667944.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 177
Here a pic of mine lol

First pic just before op, 2nd just after, 3rd pic I stumbled across was 10 days later and the last pic is what it's like now 9.5 months later.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563370.520219.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563370.520219.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 176
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563374.987880.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563374.987880.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 998
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563386.918891.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563386.918891.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 141
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563392.819760.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355563392.819760.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,355
Oh god Rinn, please don't bash it!! A friend of mine had a ganglion on her wrist, bashed it and it gave her a whole infection in her hand and it looked like just a huge hand ganglion. She then had to have it syringed, it came back as it was being drained!! Then she had to have it operated on and shes been medically downgraded (shes in the RAF and it made her too sick to be deployed) all because she bashed it with a book!

Leanne
X

Latest posts

Back