Gaps in the market- how salons can appeal to more people?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailvarnish

Reaction score
Here's an article a fellow salon owner forwarded to me. It has made me rethink my efforts to grow my salon. Hope it helps you too, comments always appreciated xx :

Knowledge Means Growth
Despite all the talks of doom and gloom, armed with the right knowledge you are better prepared for the challenges that lie ahead…
According to market research data, spending on beauty treatments continues to grow and, by being informed of the new opportunities in the market, you can position your business to take advantage of these new trends. A recent survey of over 2000 salon users (Mintel, Health and Beauty Treatments UK) identified number of key findings which indicate how you can improve your existing services, overcome barriers to custom and tap into new markets. I have included a series of checkpoints with suggestions of how you can use this information to your advantage.
• Creating the right atmosphere
Consumers reported that looking good are seen as the primary benefits of health and beauty treatments. Hair removal, manicures/pedicures and eyelash and eyebrow tints were the most popular treatments with respondents, reflecting the emphasis on physical appearance. Women were far more concerned than men with how treatments made them feel, suggesting that beauty treatments are a form of relaxation for females. Therefore, greater emphasis needs to be placed on this aspect of the service.
0 Carry out an audit of the ambience in your salon. Could any areas be improved: lighting, music, furnishings, smell? Adding personal touches such as soft furnishings, candles and flowers can be a cheap and easy way to make your salon feel more homely.

• The power of Trinny, Gok and Nicky Hambleton-Jones
A large number of consumers reported that television shows were a significant factor in their decision to have a treatment. Makeover shows have been a fantastic advert for treatments, showing how effective they are.

0 You could play on the popularity of makeover shows by incorporating them into your marketing with a ‘10 years younger’ promotion including anti-aging treatments or a ‘Gok message’ with cellulite busting properties. The Studio Tracker allows you to devise your own marketing campaigns or, alternatively, you can send out one of the existing templates that comes installed in the system. Campaigns can be sent out quickly and cheaply via SMS or email and all at the touch of a mouse.

• Converting new customers into regulars
The cost of treatments was the primary deterrent for regular use and most respondents reported only having them on an infrequent basis. However, the trick seems to be in maintaining their levels of usage of these treatments as part of a regular routine rather than one-off treatments.
0 By undertaking a loyalty scheme for existing clients and providing new customers with discount vouchers for their next treatment, you will encourage clients to return more frequently, getting them into the habit of visiting regularly. Studio Tracker can simplify this for you by recording your clients’ purchase history, allowing you to see when they are due for their reward and track how successful your scheme is.
• The need to stand out
Because the lack of regulations in the industry make it an easy business to enter, the flow of newly qualified practitioners entering the market and the higher proportion of home-based/mobile therapists, competition in the industry is fierce and consequently some salons have reported that they have had to reduce their prices. This indicates how salons need to differentiate themselves to avoid competing on price.

0 Write down 3 or 4 things that articulate your unique value and define your businesses core message. Now to need to make sure that you consistently reinforce these points through both your marketing initiatives and through your interactions with clients. This will help to make your business stand out from your competitors. For example, Studio Tracker organises your client data for you, making it easier to personalise your service. Consider how effective it would be to send out a birthday SMS message with a discount for a client’s favourite treatment.

• Different genders have different concerns
The concern to remain youthful looking was one of the main drivers behind beauty treatment purchases for women, whilst for men seeking female approval was of more importance.
0 Look through your treatment list, do have a range of anti-aging treatments available? Are the anti-aging benefits clearly articulated in the treatment description? If not, you may need to consider making changes. The same can be said for your men’s treatments, if they do not offer benefits based around physical attractiveness try out a new set of treatments.
• The potential of the male grooming market
Although it is still rather a niche sector, men represent a key target market for health and beauty salons in the next five years, as it is becoming more acceptable for men to undergo similar treatments to women in pursuit of a better self-image.
0 Get ahead of the game and start devising ways that you can appeal more to this market. Find out which treatments appeal to men the most and start offering them. Male respondents in the survey reported having messages more than any other treatment, so this could be a good way of tapping into this market. You could provide your female clients with discount vouchers for their husbands and partners to encourage potential male customers to try your services.
• The Grey Market
Older consumers, many of whom have considerable spending power, are generally not being engaged by many salons, yet they show considerable interest in certain treatments, particularly alternative therapies. Therefore, this is another area of potential growth for the future.

0 Because this generation are generally less mobile it may be a good idea to advertise your services in Nursing Homes and offer to visit them.
• Busy Mothers
Similarly, many of the female respondents in the survey cited lack of time as the reason they didn’t indulge in treatments more often. For example, busy working mothers may find it difficult to fit in a treatment within normal salon hours.

0 Therefore, it may be worthwhile offering mobile services in addition to salon treatments or to operate late opening hours on selected evenings. This could also be a good way of attracting new customers.

This is great, do you know who wrote it? :hug:

for a simple answer, look at the thread about naming male price lists :lol:

Have I missed something, I know Mailvarnish put it on this site but was wondering where his friend got it from in the first place! :lol:

LOST ME WEEZIE :eek:

I reckon it was written by the peeps from studio tracker.

After reading it properly I think you are probably right, it does have some interesting info and good ideas even if it is an advert in disguise!

I reckon it was written by the peeps from studio tracker.

One of my industry buddies forwarded it to me. I think she subscribes to a newsletter from ST

Latest posts

Back