Geeks I need your help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 73013

Reaction score
I'm newly qualified in gels and having a bit of a problem and im very embarrassed aswel.

probably about 90% of my gels I have done have chipped or peeled off, what am I doing wrong im using the PH bond, then the foundation (a very small amount) cure, first coat of polish cure then second then cure then top coat cure, wipe cleanse then oil...

what am I doing wrong im sealing the ends curing for the right amount of time.
what am I doing wrong this is going to affect my reputation im really ashamed and getting really down about it, my land lady who runs the hair salon isn't to impressed with me..... PLEASE HELP!!!

Is it a gel polish or hard gel you are using?

Its always best to list all your steps from start to finish including prep and we can see if your going wrong/missing steps.

Also what system and lamp do you use. Have old are your bulbs etc?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

in these situations to help geeks we usually ask that you list exactly in detail what products and steps you doing including your nail preparation and we may be able to point out any obvious problems which could be causing your issues. We would also check that you are using the right products and lamp brought from the proper distributors.

Having said that if you are having breakdown with 90% of your clients then this is pointing to a fairly serious major problem and if I was you I would get myself booked in for some more education pronto. As you are newly qualified you will soon realise that the fun (learning!) never stops. You really need to train too with the company whose products you are using so you can be sure you are doing the exact procedure and they can watch your application process. A 1 to 1 or a half day class needn't be expensive at all.

Last edited:
well I start by the usual cleaning nail, filing and buffing slightly I then will apply small amount of ph bond then apply a very very thin layer of foundation and then cure for 1 minute, I then will apply a thin layer of polish then cure for one minute making sure the edges are sealed, I then apply a second thin layer of polish sealing the ends and then cure for 1 minute then finally apply a thin layer of top coat sealing the ends and cure for 1 minute, wipe over with nail cleanse and apply cuticle oil to finish...

my lamp is about a year old and the blubs are around the same I use gelish and im fully trained with them aswel... have I missed a critical step out that ive just forgotten...eeeek

well I start by the usual cleaning nail, filing and buffing slightly I then will apply small amount of ph bond then apply a very very thin layer of foundation and then cure for 1 minute, I then will apply a thin layer of polish then cure for one minute making sure the edges are sealed, I then apply a second thin layer of polish sealing the ends and then cure for 1 minute then finally apply a thin layer of top coat sealing the ends and cure for 1 minute, wipe over with nail cleanse and apply cuticle oil to finish...

my lamp is about a year old and the blubs are around the same I use gelish and im fully trained with them aswel... have I missed a critical step out that ive just forgotten...eeeek

I don't use gelish myself but those cure times look very strange to me. Too short for CFL and too long for LED surely? Also Foundation the same amount of time as the colour coats?? Will look it up as puzzled!

If you trained with gelish have you still got your literature, can you go back through step by steps and see if you are missing anything.

You don't mention anything about cuticle work, are you using any product with this?

what lamps are you using? can you check your bulb time, do you turn your bulbs.

When did you qualify and how long have you been having problems for?
You say you are newly qualified but your lamp is a year old - is it a second-hand lamp in which case you should definitely change the bulbs as you never know how much the previous owner used it.

Do you buff the nails at every service, could you be overthinning then overtime leading to them weakening and causing peeling/chipping?

I would agree with Syncage, your timings seem completely off and I suspect that you are seriously under curing. I would suggest that you make sure that the lamp that you are using is approved for use with Gelish and that the bulbs are new. I recognize that lamps are expensive, but your lamp is no place to cut corners. More significant than peeling, by under curing, you expose your clients to uncured gel. Also, if you buff for Gelish (not required) make sure you buff only new growth, otherwise you thin the nail which can contribute to chipping.

Gelish would be 2 mins in a UV and 30 secs in an LED so yes, curing is one problem

What lamp are you using? I use gelish
and your timings are definitely wrong.

Laura xx

If you're using an LED lamp, that cure time is too long. Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong but I thought the Cure time for LED is 5 sec. for base and 20 sec for color and top?

And if it's a 36W UV lamp, that cure time is too short. The base is suppose to be 1 minute. Each color coat and top coat is suppose to be 2 minutes.

I have just found my book, im such a fool.

However its my sisters lamp which is brand new and never been used before, as my sister had a lamp I felt I didn't need to invest in a gelish led lamp I know they recommend that you use the same lamp as the polish so I suppose ive made one massive error hear.. I thought id be saving myself some money with it being Christmas but im causing an even bigger problem for myself.

they only reason why I am so confused as my sister is a hairdresser and her hands are in water 24/7 and hers have been on for 3 weeks with no chips, no peels they just need infills.

Do you highly recommend that I invest in a gelish lamp will this be the most obvious thing to do??

sorry if I sound silly im just really upset and slightly red faced as I passed my course and now having problems. :-(

Last edited:
I have just found my book, im such a fool.

However its my sisters lamp which is brand new and never been used before, as my sister had a lamp I felt I didn't need to invest in a gelish led lamp I know they recommend that you use the same lamp as the polish so I suppose ive made one massive error hear.. I thought id be saving myself some money with it being Christmas but im causing an even bigger problem for myself.

they only reason why I am so confused as my sister is a hairdresser and her hands are in water 24/7 and hers have been on for 3 weeks with no chips, no peels they just need infills.

Do you highly recommend that I invest in a gelish lamp will this be the most obvious thing to do??

sorry if I sound silly im just really upset and slightly red faced as I passed my course and now having problems. :-(

How are you prepping the nail and are you using anything to prep?

How are you prepping the nail and are you using anything to prep?

cleanse the nail as normal sanitise and wipe over with wipe soaked in acetone (lint free wipes) cuticle work (push back) remove the surface shine with block, brush away any excess then wioe over againg with wipe and acetone then dehydrate (ph bond)

LED foundation 5 secs
Colour 30 secs
Top 20 secs

UV Foundation 1min
Colour 2 mins
Top 2 mins

Laura xx

thank you hun, I think im going to have to invest in the proper lamp from the supplier.
I find gelish a fantastic product and I want my clients to think so aswel - so xmas present to myself a gelish led lamp plus it will save time on treatments aswel.

x :)

You don't have to have the led lamp (although I have read fantastic reviews) gelish also cures in a 36w lamp. I believe any make is fine but a good quality brand is better. You may not have to change lamps from what you have said the problem is most probably that you were only curing for half the recommended time and not necessarily the lamp!

I read before you edited a post, but you said when curing for the correct times your application was bubbling.....and that's why you starting curing the times that you've been doing....?

cleanse the nail as normal sanitise and wipe over with wipe soaked in acetone (lint free wipes) cuticle work (push back) remove the surface shine with block, brush away any excess then wioe over againg with wipe and acetone then dehydrate (ph bond)

Are you actually removing all dead tissue off the nail as it sounds your just pushing back and not actually doing thorough cuticle work.

yes they were bubbling when I cured for 2 minutes which is why I reduced the timing and my sister found her nails are spot on, ( I didn't realise I hadn't pasted that back in)
and then once I had reduced the time the nails seem to have cured once I wipe over to finish, there not tacky, and no residue on the wipe however clients do not seem to get a long life with them.

is this due to reducing the curing time?? or do you think I need a new lamp??

yes im doing thorough cuticle work as this is by far the most important thing to do.
everything seems to cure fine, and once ive done my final cure then wipe over they seem absolutely fine, no tackiness and no residue on my wipe, very smooth and very glossy it just seems to be once the clients have gone home some have been back few days later with either chips or peels so im just really puzzled as to where im going wrong.
i asked a similer question to somebody else do you think its my lamp? my products are genuine gelish so no false or fake ebay stuff, i cant exactly remember the make of the lamp its at work i begins with F and i think its got the number 38o on it aswel but imnot 100% sure i know my sister paid a lot of money for her lamp though.

Hi I would look at getting the correct lamp recommended for use with gelish and then make sure you are then using the correct timings for that lamp. (The times mentioned on here) if you are using the timings recommended for the lamp you are using then this won't be causing the bubbles, so i would find out more about the lamp you have and if you are unsure then definitely invest in the right one as I think it's worth it personally:) and then if you are still having troubles with it bubbling you'll know it's more the application x

Latest posts

Back