Gel manicures cause skin cancer report

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraG

Reaction score
Very bad science journalism. Here's a Reuter's article about the same study that comes to exactly the opposite conclusion - Are nail salon UV lamps a skin cancer risk? | Reuters Here's a quote from the doctor -
Shipp said doctors can’t say anything is perfectly safe, but nail salon lamps seem relatively safe.

“Personally, I won’t stop getting manicures myself,” she said.

The study also indicated that there was wide variation in the amount of UV rays. The study has "exposed an issue that needs to be addressed -- that there is little to no regulation on the manufacturing of these nail lamps." "As a result," Adigun said, "the bulbs, wattage and irradiance of these lamps varies dramatically from one manufacturer to the next, and individuals utilizing these lamps in salons have no way of knowing just how much UV exposure their skin is receiving upon each manicure."

All the more reason to get a quality lamp, ladies!!

Thanks for your reply Nancy, thought there would be a deluge of comments but looks like nobody has an opinion!!!

Thanks interesting but suntanning also causes cancer and so does using cell phones and microwave ovens.

I have had loads clients ask after this report and so now I have led lamp for those who are concerned.

Cancer is a dreadful disease and should never be made light of but also people can be overly paranoid at times. I think balance is the key.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Doug Schoon has recently posted on his fb page a new report on this issue (can't get the link to work! Grrr)

His website is schoonscientific.com and it's on there if anyone fancies a read (it's a shortened version with Doug's commentary and quotes from the study)

Personally love his posts as he has a great way of getting the science across (even to me!! C in GCSE science lol)

HTH xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back