Gel nail brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonbeauts

Reaction score
Need some advice on gel nail products..we have been using CND shellac for 12 years, love the way it goes on love the it comes off BUT I’m finding it to expensive and really bored of their colours, they just don’t seem to have many brights….had a few free sample of Hara gel polish which we have tried and seem to be good, great price point and some lovely colours, what are everyone’s thoughts? Any recommendations for a cheaper brand welcome x

I'd probably go for a more professional, high quality brand than Hara, eg Magpie, Nailchemy. They have a huge, exciting range of colours x

Have a look at Lecente, lots of colours there that are different to shellac

Sorry I've not heard of Hara, the brands already mentioned have a great reputation, I personally use CJP there gel polish is amazing, massive range of colours they're adding to all the time, fantastic longevity with different basecoats to suit different clients nails and lifestyles, easy soak off and if you also use builder gel their brush on builder (BOB) is an absolute dream (I've always been die hard acrylic on my own nails, recently did a fresh set on myself using BOB and it'll be a while before I'm tempted by acrylic again!) Check out all the different brands mentioned, look at the colours they have to offer, ensure you can't purchase without proof of qualification and they offer a conversion/skills course then go for the one with the range of colours you're after x

Sorry I've not heard of Hara, the brands already mentioned have a great reputation, I personally use CJP there gel polish is amazing, massive range of colours they're adding to all the time, fantastic longevity with different basecoats to suit different clients nails and lifestyles, easy soak off and if you also use builder gel their brush on builder (BOB) is an absolute dream (I've always been die hard acrylic on my own nails, recently did a fresh set on myself using BOB and it'll be a while before I'm tempted by acrylic again!) Check out all the different brands mentioned, look at the colours they have to offer, ensure you can't purchase without proof of qualification and they offer a conversion/skills course then go for the one with the range of colours you're after x
Hi Swifty84, I have a question about CJP's gel system. I recently changed to CJP as it is highly rated and more professional than the brand I first started with. Hopefully you can help me!

I'm finding the direction and the system a little different. After I cure the colour (first or second coat), the colour don't seem to 'stay'. It still rubs off and I'm nervous that this may cause harm if I continue. With the other brands, the polish is only tacky - no colour comes off after curing. Ofc, once I float the top coat, it is all cured. Is it normal and safe to continue if the colours are tacky and rubs off a bit?

I've heard to float top coat to fix the above. Do I float top coat then do nail art to avoid blurring? Any top coat? I haven't done this before with other systems – the colours are usually set after curing. Thanks in advance!!

Hi Swifty84, I have a question about CJP's gel system. I recently changed to CJP as it is highly rated and more professional than the brand I first started with. Hopefully you can help me!

I'm finding the direction and the system a little different. After I cure the colour (first or second coat), the colour don't seem to 'stay'. It still rubs off and I'm nervous that this may cause harm if I continue. With the other brands, the polish is only tacky - no colour comes off after curing. Ofc, once I float the top coat, it is all cured. Is it normal and safe to continue if the colours are tacky and rubs off a bit?

I've heard to float top coat to fix the above. Do I float top coat then do nail art to avoid blurring? Any top coat? I haven't done this before with other systems – the colours are usually set after curing. Thanks in advance!!
Hi @jen.kc are you using the cjp lamp to cure for 60 seconds each coat? The cjelp colours are super pigmented so you get a little dispersion with some of the darker colours red/black etc hence float the topcoat so it doesn’t ‘stain’ your topcoat. I use the full system with the cjelp lamp, apply not to thick and to be honest I’ve never noticed any colour come off - are you a member of the official cjp group and their tips and tricks group on facebook? They have lots of videos showing correct application, the one showing black hole is brilliant. It does apply slightly different to other brands I’ve used but now I’ve cracked it I don’t think I could go back to a different brand. Have you done the cjelp skills course - if you’re already qualified in gel polish you’ll be able to go straight onto the cjelp skills and art course and it’s really not expensive, if you go on their education website you’ll be able to search for your closest educator and view their upcoming courses.
If that’s something that’s not in your budget or fits around family at the moment definitely check out their fb group, the admins, owners and educators are super helpful at troubleshooting on there. When I apply cjelp colours there is virtually no dispersion layer and if I want to ‘dab’ glitters in I have to the a layer of stick it and cure before adding glitter because it just doesn’t seem to stick! If you need more advice or want the link to the fb group just let me know 😊 x

I've never understood the popularity of gel color
perhaps I didn't try enough brands but, I've always found polish work as well or better for 90% of my clients... thermosheild top coat, they had little wear and it more than offset the time and chemicals in soft gel removal systems
My clients who travel could touch up their color easily in the rare event they needed to, hard gel means the few who will, can use polish remover and change color if they want to without damaging the product.

more colors and, a better look... perhaps I gave up on it too soon but I liked the surface and color intensity of polish.
cheaper, easier to use more of it, more colors... and I won't do gel toe polish... esp on my older clients

to me "natural" means.. natural, no filing the surface of natural nails esp toe nails

but, I'm well established enough to ignore "but, everyone is doing it"
Polish, worked the best for me and my clientele

using CND shellac for 12 years, love the way it goes on love the it comes off BUT I’m finding it to expensive and really bored of their colours,
CND was formulated to be layered. The first introduction featured combinations that expanded your palette.

Any of the more translucent shades will transform your basic colors.

Latest posts

Back