Gel nail peeled

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jopanni

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking for a wee bit of advice I recently done a set of gellux nails and carried out the procedure as normal - fast bond, base coat, 2 coats of colour and a top coat all cured properly. Somehow one finger lifted after a couple of days and then peeled off as did the others. I did not do anything different from any other set that have lasted for 2 weeks. Can anyone shed any light as to why they may have peeled.

Thanks. Jo

Hello!
That happens a lot, all you can do is try and prevent it from happening again, which you are attempting right now so well done to you! :)

Do you also buff the nail before application as that is an important step to take. Also make sure you get the primer on the entire nail surface (avoiding skin).
Light buff the nail surface, this helps with smoothing out ridged nails (can cause easier lifting) and remove oils so the gel really bonds to it.

Make sure you get a good light that helps you avoid touching the skin as this can cause lifting

do thin layers as well as too thick can cause peeling.

Is this the first time this is happened?

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your reply, the light is a good point actually as it was done at night and the lightening wasn't great. Yes this is the first time it's happened - frustrating

I did buff the nail, glad it was for a friend who I didn't charge for 😄

Hello!
That happens a lot, all you can do is try and prevent it from happening again, which you are attempting right now so well done to you! :)

Do you also buff the nail before application as that is an important step to take. Also make sure you get the primer on the entire nail surface (avoiding skin).
This helps with smoothing out ridged nails (can cause easier lifting) and remove oils so the gel really bonds to it.

Make sure you get a good light that helps you avoid touching the skin as this can cause lifting

do thin layers as well as too thick can cause peeling.

Is this the first time this is happened?

I haven't used Gellux, but I didn't think any Gel polish systems come with a primer do they? Primers are only used in some enhancement systems.
Primer is certainly a dehydrator but it won't do anything to smooth the surface of a nail. To make ridged nails appear smooth (by filling the ridges) you would need to use a product like Gelish's Structure Gel or CND's Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and I am not aware if the Gellux system has such a product.

Applying the product too thickly and touching skin of course can lead to peeling, and working in a good light is vital.

I haven't used Gellux, but I didn't think any Gel polish systems come with a primer do they? Primers are only used in some enhancement systems.
Primer is certainly a dehydrator but it won't do anything to smooth the surface of a nail. To make ridged nails appear smooth (by filling the ridges) you would need to use a product like Gelish's Structure Gel or CND's Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and I am not aware if the Gellux system has such a product.

Applying the product too thickly and touching skin of course can lead to peeling, and working in a good light is vital.
I'm not sure about Gellux, but Gelish have a ph bond product that is used to dehydrate the nail plate in order to reduce lifting. Sorry I worded that wrong, I meant to put lightly buffing the nail might help smooth out some ridges, my apologies will edit that!

Latest posts

Back