Gel or acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptivateHair

Reaction score
I can't decide which to train in first. obviously both have pros and cons, and ultimately I always choose acrylic over gel for my own nails.

Im already trained in manicure/pedicure/gel polish.

I suppose I will have to make my own decision but would love to know other peoples opinions on what method they prefer x

Hi, I tried acrylic but couldn't stand the smell! :eek: I'm going to have a go at gel and see what happens. I suppose we're driven by what our clients are best suited to. I'm not ready to test on anyone else at the moment, so I'll post when I've had a go. Hope that helps a bit :)

A well rounded nail tech should offer both :) my opinion of course.
I use CND acrylic and gel and I also carry an entire line of LCN gels. Clients all have different needs and lifestyles so I can't slap a "one fit all" product on all of them.
It's very much a prescriptive service.
In the end they are botg the same product with a different application method.
P.s. CND monomer is not very offensive and does not linger in the room :)

Cleen Cheeks Spa

A well rounded nail tech should offer both :) my opinion of course.
I use CND acrylic and gel and I also carry an entire line of LCN gels. Clients all have different needs and lifestyles so I can't slap a "one fit all" product on all of them.
It's very much a prescriptive service.
In the end they are botg the same product with a different application method.
P.s. CND monomer is not very offensive and does not linger in the room :)

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Perhaps that will be my next purchase! You're right though. A nail technician should be able to offer both services to their clients, but just for now, I'll stick to practicing on me :)

Yep my post does say I can't decide which to train in first. I will eventually train in both but don't want to do both at the same time as id like to perfect one method at a time. I cant remember what products the training course I am going on are using but have heard good things about CND x

I can't use acrylic due to its vapours as i'm asthmatic. So I offer a wide range of gel products. Personally I don't see why you need to offer both gel and acrylic. Some gels are as hard as acrylic and if applied correctly then you cannot tell the difference between the two.
Although some companies say their monomer is low odour it is still intrusive to people with respiratory problems.

What gels do you use smuff? I think im going to train in gels first, I work in a small salon so not sure if acrylic would maybe be the best at first but its something id still like to offer eventually. I always wear acrylic on my own nails as I can't find anyone round here good enough at gel lol! X

I think gels are definitely not as hard as acrylic though smuff, so I have to disagree with you there. I agree with biljana that's it cannot be a one size fits all approach as those with really weak bendy nails will very often not get on with gel as it is softer.

Also I have some clients who specifically ask for one over the other, they have done their research and know what they want.

I use CND liquid and powder which I also agree has an odour which is less offensive than others I've tried and which doesn't linger for long. I use crystal nails extreme and titanium hard gels. Extreme is very very strong but it's still softer than acrylic.

I am trained in both and have to say I very rarely do Gel Extensions, people just never ask for them.
I don't know if they just aren't popular where I am but 90% off extensions I do are Acrylic :)
I use NSI and don't find the smell too bad!
Xxxx

I offer both services but do more gels than acrylic. Why not train in what is more popular at the moment.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained in acrylic and had an allergic reaction to it would hard gel be any different or could that do the same I use nsi any advice would be brill x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think gels are definitely not as hard as acrylic though smuff, so I have to disagree with you there. I agree with biljana that's it cannot be a one size fits all approach as those with really weak bendy nails will very often not get on with gel as it is softer.

Also I have some clients who specifically ask for one over the other, they have done their research and know what they want.

I use CND liquid and powder which I also agree has an odour which is less offensive than others I've tried and which doesn't linger for long. I use crystal nails extreme and titanium hard gels. Extreme is very very strong but it's still softer than acrylic.

We can't forget about those clients that no matter how thin the gel application is they still experience a heat spike. It is painful, I myself have experienced it and I have rather healthy nails. If a client insists on acrylic because they are afraid of the heat spike then acrylic is what I will give them.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

We can't forget about those clients that no matter how thin the gel application is they still experience a heat spike. It is painful, I myself have experienced it and I have rather healthy nails. If a client insists on acrylic because they are afraid of the heat spike then acrylic is what I will give them.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Yep some people really get bothered by the heat spike and particularly won't want gel because of it! I've experienced it too I'm used to it I fact but many of our clients are not.

I also have a client who is allergic to uv light so cannot have gels at all! Basically there's no reason why mastering both systems shouldn't be an option- unless like smuff you can't use it due to respiratory problems.

I would master acrylic first (if I had to choose) only because I found it so much harder than gel to work with. If you can master it gel will be a doddle!

Well to be honest I've only ever experienced heat spiking once. So don't know why your customers are experiencing heat spikes with every visit. However I maybe didn't word myself properly I should said as durable not hard. And yes I do know that it's not one size fits all which is why I have several different gels by different companies depending on what the clients needs are. Not all gels are the same!!!
In regards to L&P for me it doesn't matter if the smell lingers for long. It's the vapours not the smell that irritate your lungs. But I really do think you girls that use L&P really have mastered an art form.

ASP T3 gel in pink white and clear,
ASP Sculpting gel,
ASP Capping gel,
Naio sculpting gel,
Naio top gel,
Naio base gel,
Naio clear gel medium viscosity,
Gellux sculpting gel UV/LED cure,
Gellux clear gel UV/LED cure,

These are a few of my faves that I stock however the LED cure are more likely to heat spike as the polymerisation happens faster which creates more heat. But I tend to use only UV lamps as I'm old fashioned.

I use crystal nails extreme which is known for having a hot heat spike but it's a much stronger gel so you take the rough with the smooth. If I use titanium it's not as hot but still spikes. Likewise with brisa.

Although I've been getting my nails done for years by other nail techs and I've got really strong nails but have always got some level of heat spike using young nails, brisa, crystal nails titanium and crystal nails extreme gels.

Never used naio or asp so can't comment on those ones.

B
I use crystal nails extreme which is known for having a hot heat spike but it's a much stronger gel so you take the rough with the smooth. If I use titanium it's not as hot but still spikes. Likewise with brisa.

Although I've been getting my nails done for years by other nail techs and I've got really strong nails but have always got some level of heat spike using young nails, brisa, crystal nails titanium and crystal nails extreme gels.

Never used naio or asp so can't comment on those ones.

Young nails are what I had a heat spike with on a client. The thicker the consistency the more chance of spiking., the way I get round this issue is to just hover the nails in front of the lamp for about 15 seconds before the hand goes fully into the lamp. Hope I'm not teaching gramma to suck eggs. But because I've had to do only gel for 2 years I've really had to learn each gel inside out. Xx

Well to be honest I've only ever experienced heat spiking once. So don't know why your customers are experiencing heat spikes with every visit. However I maybe didn't word myself properly I should said as durable not hard. And yes I do know that it's not one size fits all which is why I have several different gels by different companies depending on what the clients needs are. Not all gels are the same!!!
In regards to L&P for me it doesn't matter if the smell lingers for long. It's the vapours not the smell that irritate your lungs. But I really do think you girls that use L&P really have mastered an art form.

ASP T3 gel in pink white and clear,
ASP Sculpting gel,
ASP Capping gel,
Naio sculpting gel,
Naio top gel,
Naio base gel,
Naio clear gel medium viscosity,
Gellux sculpting gel UV/LED cure,
Gellux clear gel UV/LED cure,

These are a few of my faves that I stock however the LED cure are more likely to heat spike as the polymerisation happens faster which creates more heat. But I tend to use only UV lamps as I'm old fashioned.

It isn't that my clients are experiencing heat spikes with every visit. It's the fact that a new client walks thru my door and says NO gels because they get really hot in the lamp and ask me for acrylic. I have managed to talk some into trying gel with me if I find it will suit them better but you can't talk all of them out so I give them what they want knowing that the acrylic will last on pretty much everyone.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

B

Young nails are what I had a heat spike with on a client. The thicker the consistency the more chance of spiking., the way I get round this issue is to just hover the nails in front of the lamp for about 15 seconds before the hand goes fully into the lamp. Hope I'm not teaching gramma to suck eggs. But because I've had to do only gel for 2 years I've really had to learn each gel inside out. Xx

Yep that's how I get around the heat spike too! That and gently pressing down wards.

Definitely agree it's the thicker gels which give more heat. Many people don't mind it but our point was that SOME people will mind which is why you can then offer them acrylic as another option.

I'm about to sit my OPI gel exam. I've absolutely HATED the training. I know I need to offer the service, though. Is it worth me doing acrylic training? I'm asthmatic, too and have bronchiectasis, so I'd need something low odour. Does anyone have experience with OPI acrylics or have any advice? X

Yep that's how I get around the heat spike too! That and gently pressing down wards.

Definitely agree it's the thicker gels which give more heat. Many people don't mind it but our point was that SOME people will mind which is why you can then offer them acrylic as another option.

Yes I see where your coming from.

Latest posts

Back