Gel or acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

☆Missy☆

Reaction score
Hiya ladies
I am stuck on what course to do next. I currently have gel overlays and love them so I am tempeted to learn how to do them. However I was told that acrylics are a lot more popular.

Now I am truly stuck:eek:

I find that acrylics are more popular and some people ask me what gels are lol but it depends what are your in x

*area your in

☆Missy☆;1869214 said:
Hiya ladies
I am stuck on what course to do next. I currently have gel overlays and love them so I am tempeted to learn how to do them. However I was told that acrylics are a lot more popular.

Now I am truly stuck:eek:

Ask a few of your clients if they'd be interested in either of them or if they have any friends who wear them. Chances are you'll get a few more clients lined up from this too ;)

I took an acrylics course because I was asked a few times if I do them. No call for me to learn gels as of yet. Good luck hun! X

There are uv gel and powder gel isnt there. What is the difference between them and acrylic? I had uv gel done once n didnt like it was too lumpy. I get my nails done all the time, but dont know the difference is lol. Im doing nails courses in July so will find out then, but saw this thread n thought id jump in lol

There are uv gel and powder gel isnt there. What is the difference between them and acrylic? I had uv gel done once n didnt like it was too lumpy. I get my nails done all the time, but dont know the difference is lol. Im doing nails courses in July so will find out then, but saw this thread n thought id jump in lol

I think LeChat makes a gel powder, but IMO, it's more like the dip system of l&p. All nail enhancements are acrylic based. It just depends on how they cure is what makes them different. Gel cures when it is exposed to uv light. L&P cures when the powder is mixed with the monomer. If your gel enhancements were lumpy, then the tech that did them didn't file them smooth just like you do with l&p.

I do more gel enhancements than l&p. There are several NSS in my area who only do l&p so there is a market for gel nails. I still occasionally get a request for l&p and when I ask my client how they want to personalize them, they are clueless as to what I'm talking about. Because they have only had nails done at a NSS, they didn't know that l&p could come in different colors. If you ever go into a NSS and ask for UV gel nails, be prepared to pay a lot of money for l&p with a gel top coat over it.

If you are going to train for one vs the other, just make sure you set yourself apart from your competition. L&P doesn't only come in clear, it comes in an array of colors and glitters. You can also customize your mix. The same holds true for gel.

You need to know how to use all the different systems if you are going to become a real professional nail technician. Have fun.

I'm currently studying for an nvq so have to learn both, but atm have only learnt gel extensions but am loving it, I have gel extensions now myself and actually find they are better for me than acrylic, although I know some people like acrylic. One thing I have found from doing some market research between my facebook friends and some work friends that the majority of people who get acrylic extensions get them because they are cheaper than gel, but I intend to have my prices the same so clients can decide for themselves which product is better for them, as everyone is different. don't know if this has helped but I hope it has a little :)

Thanks for all input ladies. I decided to stick with the gel nails and once I complete it I will move on to acrylic :D.

Im not a professional just a newbie with a huge passion for nails, hoping to make it into my new career.

Latest posts

Back