gel over acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryblossom

Reaction score
Hi all
As you all know im training but do family and friends,but had a possible client today who needs and infill and asked if i could do it for her for my practice,she has acrylic on her nails at present,but i only do gels so my question is can i do a gel overlay infill over an acrylic?

sorry to sound dumb but im still learning,and havent started gels at college yet just trying to give myself a few lessons before i start?

thanks

Hiya - well I tried this on my mum's acrylic nails a couple of weeks ago and so far so good - it's taken fine and lasted too so I'd say the answer's yes! :)

i personally wouldn't - purely because you can't guarantee the results when using your product with another (unknown) product. I would always soak-off and reapply your own enhancement from scratch.

If this is a practice on a friend/family member, and you're not charging, then i might be tempted to give it a whirl and see what the results are like - but be prepared for her to come back with any problems - to you!

What i'm trying to say (not very clearly!) is that there may be future problems with her enhancements that are caused by an inadequate product or preparation / application from the first enhancements, however, the client will be likely to see any subsequent problems as something you've done wrong. Again, it depends on whether this is a friend or genuine client as to how much of an issue this is...

By all means try it out - but make it VERY clear to her that there are NO guarantees when infilling on someone else's work.
If you want to practice infills, and have LOADs of time, you could always soak off the original enhancement, apply your gel, leaving a gap near the eponychium, to simulate growth between appointments. You can then infill/rebalance your own work!

Hope this helps (and makes sense????)

x

Hi Linzi, Ruth has just responded to the other post asking the same thing to which she has said it is ok to do have a read at the other post x x x

Hi Linzi

I apply a thin coat of Nail Solutions Calcium Gel over L&P on my own nails and also one of my clients as I love the high gloss shine. I haven't come across any problems yet! My client says it adds extra strenght too!

x

I have applied Bio Sculpture Gel over acrylic nails with minimal problems. On heavy handed clients, gel rubs away a little on free edge, exposing existing acrylic.

Latest posts

Back