Gel peeling away from acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joele

Reaction score
Hi fellow nail techs, this is my first time posting I hope I'm doing this right. Pls can someone who uses Nsi acrylic advise me on a problem that I'm currently experiencing. I have only been doing acrylic for 4 months but I've been doing gel for 12 yrs. I find that my gel polish and hard gel peels away from my acrylic a few days later. I use 150 grit file then finish off with 180grit. I then wipe with a little acetone then apply gel. The finish product always looks so good but the gel never lasts, the acrylic however is still perfect. What am I doing wrong? I really need to fix this problem as it's making me lose confidence. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank u in advance. I have uploaded a pic to show service breakdown.

Attachments

• IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 463
I use NSI attraction and other than on my own when I've neglected them and the gel polish is getting on for 3 weeks + mine get a lot of abuse, I have never had any problems with gel polish over acrylic.

I wipe with NSI cleanse though, I wouldn't use acetone. I don't use a base coat either.

Does it happen with all colours or just chrome as in your picture? None of my clients are chrome fans so no real experience of it.

Acetone will smooth the nail after filing.
Try finishing filing with 150 (dust and wipe with cleanse) then apply gel polish.
That should do it but if that doesn't work try using the base coat. I know you shouldn't normally need to but needs must and all that Jazz. x

Do you use UV or LED? I know some LED lamps have quite specific finger placement needed. I don't use NSI, but i did have a similar problem on one client who experienced gel polish peeling from the free edge on her acrylics, pointer fingers only. I use OPI GelColour and found out that this particular client had put her fingers a little too far into the lamp, so the free edge hadn't quite cured properly on the pointers. We check finger placement every time since then and it hasn't happened since. So could have been finger placement?

I had this happen so I used the primer for the gel polish, I figured if the primer stops the gel lifting from the natural nail then it may do the same on the acrylic so worth a shot. 1 - finish file, 2 - clean away dust, 3 - prime, 4 gel polish as normal. no problem since. :)

I have the same problem over nsi acrylics. I file then roughly buff them, apply gel polish (tried with and without base coat) and every time I'm getting clients saying it's peeling off :( also only do it in very thin layers. It's very annoying

Remember to use the gel polish base coat when you start your gel polish

Remember to use the gel polish base coat when you start your gel polish

If the OP is applying her gel over l&P like she stated she doesn't need to use a base coat.

Use an 80 grit file to finish, if acrylic is too smooth gel polish will peel away .

I use Gelish on acrylics & have no problems. I cleanse with alcohol before polishing.

Wow ! thank you for your replies. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to come back to the forum to check for answers as I've been away. I will definitely try the above advice because I'm at my wits end. However in the mean time I have purchased Brillbird bond gel and have used it on a set 4 days ago. So far my client has had zero lifting so I might just be winning finally[emoji3] thank u so much again[emoji8]

Latest posts

Back