Gel polish after chemotherapy, advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaberry

Reaction score
Hi
Would really appreciate any advice please. My Mum has just had her last chemotherapy session. When she started treatment we removed her l&p and have just left them without anything on. Her nails are now dry and ridged and she also has a lovely set of Beaus nails! But she is missing having nice nails and am just wondering how long to leave it before we put anything on them. She has been told that she can't have colour on her hair (when it grows back!) for six months to a year but no advice has been given about nails.
I've tried to look into it myself but not found a definite answer so would appreciate any advice from any geeks who've had experience in this please! She knows she probably can't have any enhancements yet but we're wondering if we could go with a gel polish to give a bit of strength and colour but that way we could keep an eye on them every two weeks. What do you think? xx

Hi glad to hear you Mum is through her treatment :)

When I was on Chemo I wore L&P enhancements throughout with no probs, but my nails were never the same after chemo and radiotherapy. I did try shellac but my nails were brittle so it flaked. I had to remove my enhancements for further surgery and I just polished them nicely and applied solar oil 3 times a day and it worked wonders. I dont know of any reason not to wear enhancements after chemo BUT one of the more experienced geeks may be able to shed some light on this, I just know I did with no probs, but then again I also was a bit naughty and dyed my hair within a month of it growing back oops :) xx

have just pm'd you lovey xxx

Hi glad to hear you Mum is through her treatment :)

When I was on Chemo I wore L&P enhancements throughout with no probs, but my nails were never the same after chemo and radiotherapy. I did try shellac but my nails were brittle so it flaked. I had to remove my enhancements for further surgery and I just polished them nicely and applied solar oil 3 times a day and it worked wonders. I dont know of any reason not to wear enhancements after chemo BUT one of the more experienced geeks may be able to shed some light on this, I just know I did with no probs, but then again I also was a bit naughty and dyed my hair within a month of it growing back oops :) xx

Hi
Thanks for your reply! Am laughing about the hair colour. Think I'd be the same!!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think I'll give her a try with gel polish. She's got quite a good length on them so it will just give her a bit of strength and make her feel nice for Christmas. And at least I can keep an eye on them.
Sounds like you've had a bad time of it so I really hope things are improving for you now :Love:
Thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back