Gel polish help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntoniaC

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am newly trained in gel nail application and feeling totally lost in a sea of products! I have just purchased an ASP Signature kit from Salon services and i am so disappointed with it. It was on sale from £xxxto £xxx (minus light) so i thought it was a reasonable price to pay for starting out an went ahead. Application isn't great, and even after 3 sometimes 4 coats and capping all free edges it is peeling at sides and chipping very quickly. Shrinking was a huge problem but i seem to have solved that by thoroughly shaking the bottles. Just not overly impressed and considering Gellish or Shellac now. Can anyone help with advice?i have wasted a lot of money on this so pretty annoyed at myself and feel a bit duped by the salon services rep thanks guys

Moderator note: no trade prices please

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of things would you like to know? Shellac is the best known gel brand out there and you can find some great deals on their products! Gelish is a good alternative to shellac if clients are finding it hard to keep the shellac on.

At home I use gellux which is great but can be hard to remove

Have you looked at the gel bottle inc? I’m not qualified in nails but one of my friends uses it & it seems to have some good reviews :) I’ll be doing my training next month & I’m planning on using their products. I’m not surprised you’re annoyed but we live & learn xx

I am loving the gel bottle after been a loyal shellac girl for the past 8 years. I got tired of shellac not been suitable for every client and having to often apply 3 coats of lighter colours. I started on the gel bottle a month or two ago and I’m so glad I converted! I’ll scale down my shellac but the pigmentation of the gel bottle is fab, it goes on beautiful and removes easily in 10 mins. Also their facebook community is a godsend. And it’s cheaper than shellac. Just another bonus. I’ve people currently trialling different methods I’m testing so I’ll know more then but I so far haven’t heard in two weeks if any have chipped (I asked them to let me know as soon as) and no news is good news!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess i am just feeling lost and after feeling like i made the wrong decision with ASP i don't want to waste more money so it's nice to hear other opinions and experiences. I am feeling swayed towards Gellish so may purchase a kit and see how i go. Wish me luck

Its alot more complicated than you think. First, you need to find out what kind of clients you have. Higher end clients will be less hard on their hands so less chipping for them. Right now the only good brand that i recommend is cnd but they cater mostly to higher end clients. But you can always tell to to be gentle on their nails.

If you want gel thats easy to soak off but have a higher chance of chipping, go for shellac.

If you want maximum strength gel go for creative play by cnd

If you want maximum strength gel go for creative play by cnd
CND Creative Play is not a gel, it is a standard nail polish.

CND Creative Play is not a gel, it is a standard nail polish.

Creative play gel is a full blown gel. Thats why its extremely strong and hard to remove. Try it out

Shellac is half polish, half gel. CND formulated shellac with the thought of easy removal in mind because pure gels are not very easy to remove.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am newly trained in gel nail application and feeling totally lost in a sea of products! I have just purchased an ASP Signature kit from Salon services and i am so disappointed with it. It was on sale from £xxxto £xxx (minus light) so i thought it was a reasonable price to pay for starting out an went ahead. Application isn't great, and even after 3 sometimes 4 coats and capping all free edges it is peeling at sides and chipping very quickly. Shrinking was a huge problem but i seem to have solved that by thoroughly shaking the bottles. Just not overly impressed and considering Gellish or Shellac now. Can anyone help with advice?i have wasted a lot of money on this so pretty annoyed at myself and feel a bit duped by the salon services rep thanks guys

Moderator note: no trade prices please
Just a thought, and possibly a way to save a little of the money you have spent ... ASP is produced for Salon Services by Cuccio. I am trained in Cuccio and was told the 2 systems are compatible (I'm talking about their Cuccio Veneer). I would however agree with you that ASP isn't as good and coverage can still be poor, even after shaking and stirring the bottles. You could possibly try one or 2 Cuccio Veneer colours with your existing base and top coats and still use your lamp (if you bought the ASP lamp) and see how you get on?

If im totally honest, I would say that you will still probably need 3 coats with Cuccio Veneer, but it's much nicer to apply. Their top coat is fab too! X

Most companies do trial kits. That's your best way of trying brands out.
I use INK London x

Latest posts

Back