Gel polish peeling on myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella_Glam

Reaction score
Hello geeks!
I've got a little problem, only with myself though. On my clients, my gel polish manicures can last anywhere between 2 - 3 weeks, but on myself I'm lucky if the gel doesn't peel within 48 hours!
I can't imagine this is my technique, seeing as my clients don't have this issue. My nails certainly aren't the strongest nails in the world, I usually give myself acrylic nails and they're fine! Are some gels just not compatible with gel polish? Or certain brands? Because it's only gel I have the problem with.

If you have done you training then I would think you would know which products are compatible with which gels and acrylics. We can’t answer that for you as we don’t know what you are using.
You have not given us enough info to give you any feedback.

Is it just the one hand peeling?
Where does it peel form the cuticle area or the free edge?
How thin or flexible are your natural nails?
Are you on any medication or pain pills or pregnant or Breast feeding or thyroid or heart meds or chemo?
Do you wear gloves when doing dishes ?
Do you take very hot baths [emoji370] and lots of oils?
Do you do a lot of soak off in clients which effect your own nails ?

Hello, Yes I do know which gels / acrylics are compatible etc thank you! ;)
I'm using ORLY Gel FX. Sorry for not much info, this is my first time asking questions :oops:

Its not just one hand peeling unfortunately, its both. But not every finger, strangely enough. It peels from the edge, the side of the nail, but when I look I haven't had any leakage from any excess base coat, colour or top coat.
My nails are fairly thin, and they are flexible. I wonder if it could have anything to do with 6 years non-stop acrylics?
I'm on medication for type 1 diabetes, on 2 different types of insulin, a hormone tablet and beetablockers for a heart condition. Born with both medical conditions. Not pregnant, nor breastfeeding, no thyroid or chemo. But yes heart meds.
Yes I wear gloves when doing the dishes
I definitely take lots of hot baths. I have 2 baths a day most days, and am in the bath for about 2 hr per day.
My soak offs with clients do not effect my own nails.

Sorry for not providing enough info beforehand, hope this helps X

My guess would be:
1. The long hot baths (switch to showering?)
2. Beta blockers
3. Contact with acetone when treating your clients

Try IBX or a primer under the base coat and wear gloves for gel removal services

Thank you for the help! Acrylic liquid and powder works well with my nails, so looks as though I may have to stick to that, although I love the look of gel on natural. I will definitely reduce baths and switch to shower and use gloves when removing clients gel or acrylics, and see if that makes any changes.

Yes think it could be your medication Ella._Glam.
Sorry hun but you might have to just experiment on yourself till you find a suitable combination of products which work for you.

Yes think it could be your medication Ella._Glam.
Sorry hun but you might have to just experiment on yourself till you find a suitable combination of products which work for you.
Thank you for getting back to me, looks like its time to experiment with more brands!

Latest posts

Back