Gel polish reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiee888

Reaction score
hi, hope you guys can help me?
I've been having a client come to me for gel nails for over a year. Recently last couple months she has irritated eyes after visiting the salon. Only the last time she had gels 4 weeks ago, she's has had some sort of reaction. The skin around the nail went puffy and red. But she never told me until today! I've seen her nails today and most of them have calmed down but a few are a little sore still. The nails looks like they have started to lift from nail bed as well. I've advised her to see her GP or pharmacists but she's not keen on going. Can anyone please help me on why this has happened, is it a reaction the the gel polish?

It sounds like she has developed an allergy to the gel polish. It can happen suddenly even after using the product without problems for years. Unfortunately she will no longer be able to wear gel polish. She should request comprehensive testing to find out the exact ingredient she is sensitive to as it could mean she is unable to wear any type of nail coating.

One of my lovely ladies suffers with psoriasis on some of her nails and she cant have gel only shellac as she suffers reactions from the gels which we think irratates her psoriasis! Her nails lift from the nail beds like you explianed and she also has the skin reaction with gels, however the fact it irratated her eyes may well be some sort or reaction! You did the right thing recommending seeing the gp but if she has any gel on i would remove it for the time being :)

It sounds like she has developed an allergy to the gel polish. It can happen suddenly even after using the product without problems for years. Unfortunately she will no longer be able to wear gel polish. She should request comprehensive testing to find out the exact ingredient she is sensitive to as it could mean she is unable to wear any type of nail coating.
Thank you for your reply, this is what I thought but as I've never experienced anything like this before I was just worried and wanting advice. I have stressed to the client to get it checked out but as I said before she wants to just see how it goes. Is this something that will heal on it's own?

One of my lovely ladies suffers with psoriasis on some of her nails and she cant have gel only shellac as she suffers reactions from the gels which we think irratates her psoriasis! Her nails lift from the nail beds like you explianed and she also has the skin reaction with gels, however the fact it irratated her eyes may well be some sort or reaction! You did the right thing recommending seeing the gp but if she has any gel on i would remove it for the time being :)
I did read that it can irritate psoriasis which had the same symptoms like you said. I've never experienced anything like this before, so even though I suggested seeing GP, she didn't seem keen on going, is it something that can heal on it's own? All gel is now removed but it's been on for 4 weeks as she never came back and told me she had a reaction, I had no clue until today :/ I just wish she told me when it happened as it might not be as bad as what it is now. Thank you for your help

Sadly it doesnt tend to heal on its own if it is psoriasis, my lady is desperate to have opi gelcolor and because i know her very well we have tried it a couple of times since her first reaction but every time she reacts so we have to stick to shellac!! With regards to the nails lifting from the nailbeds if it is psoriasis then it wont be caused by the product its just part of the psoriasis sadly :( but the only way she will find out for sure is if she visits a gp and if you have recommended that and removed the gel then you cant do anymore! Its not your fault she didnt tell you and the reaction will hopefully heal itself! Try not to worry you have done what you can :)

Sadly it doesnt tend to heal on its own if it is psoriasis, my lady is desperate to have opi gelcolor and because i know her very well we have tried it a couple of times since her first reaction but every time she reacts so we have to stick to shellac!! With regards to the nails lifting from the nailbeds if it is psoriasis then it wont be caused by the product its just part of the psoriasis sadly :( but the only way she will find out for sure is if she visits a gp and if you have recommended that and removed the gel then you cant do anymore! Its not your fault she didnt tell you and the reaction will hopefully heal itself! Try not to worry you have done what you can :)
Thank you so much for your help, it certainly Has reassured me a bit. It's all I've been thinking of since I've got the lady booked in next week for a review on the nails, so hopefully with a week of no gels they would have calmed down. But I don't think she'll be able to have them again, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing them. Thank you again

Im glad ive helped a little! I let things play on my mind too so i know how you feel but Just remember you know best where nails are concerned and dont do anything you are not comfortable with! Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back