Gel polish underneath acrylic nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilcirkle99

Reaction score
A potential client of mine called my salon and asked me a question I never been asked before. I have only been doing nails for 2 years. She asked for a gel polish manicure then wanted a full set of arcylic nails on top of that gel polish. She said that they last longer that way and the other salon she went to had no problem with doing that for her. I seriously do not think the gel polish underneath would make the acrylic last longer. What is the point of making the acrylic nails last longer since that has nothing to do with the growth of her nails? I think it would be a waste of money since she would be paying for both services. I told her that I was booked till monday and I will call her if I get a cancelation. I just wanted to research this to see if it had any merit before I call her later today.

So has anybody ever applied arcylic nails over gel polish? Any pros or cons on this idea? Please let me know?

I've only ever herd of having a thin layer of acrylic on the base, then a design and then encapsulating that to protect it, but that's more with 3D acrylic designs and certain embellishments, and then maybe a gel design on top of that....

Never heard of that. Completely the wrong way around. What would be the point of sealing all that gel polish in so that in order to re-do when they grew up, you had to entirely soak off the acrylics as well and the gel polish and then do it all again! And actually I'm not at all sure the product and/or tips would adhere to gel polish. Extend with acrylics first, then gel polish and/or nail art, then seal it all in with an appropriate uv top coat - I wonder if she's just got muddled up?

Unless as Sara-jane says, it's encapsulation she's after but she didn't actually mention nail art did she?

Did she mention why she's not going back to the other salon if she was so happy with them?

I've done this before but only on my own nails just experimenting and it lasted really well just as long as I didn't want to change colour lol. Was good for me as I always end up filing my gel polish off when doing other people nails

I've done this before but only on my own nails just experimenting and it lasted really well just as long as I didn't want to change colour lol. Was good for me as I always end up filing my gel polish off when doing other people nails

Did it not feel heavy on the nails?

Did it not feel heavy on the nails?
No as it was just gel polish applied over a tip then clear acrylic whereas on clients I do acrylic then gel polish on top so it was just back to front if that makes sense

Sorry forgot to add I did tip first, then base coat, gel colour no topcoat, then clear acrylic, file and then topcoat

I'm just confused as obv I would need to do a lot of P.E.P to make sure the shellac adheres to the natural nail but if then acrylic on top would that not be needed. Just trying to get my head round this lol

I'm just confused as obv I would need to do a lot of P.E.P to make sure the shellac adheres to the natural nail but if then acrylic on top would that not be needed. Just trying to get my head round this lol
Yes did pep as usual sorry should have put that bit in, didn't mention it as I used take that stage for granted as it's what I always do did everything I would do but didn't topcoat then went straight onto acrylic I have a pic somewhere will post it if I find it tomorrow

I'd love to see it
so does the acrylic stick to the gel ok?

I'd love to see it
so does the acrylic stick to the gel ok?
Yes it was fine I had them on 3 and a half weeks with no problem only reason I haven't done it again is because the colour can't be changed and I get bored easily- was just seeing if it'd work really

Latest posts

Back