gel teething problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marijane

Reaction score
OK, today I bought a lamp from Sally's and set about trying out the gels I enthusiasically got when my trainer said she would demonstrate them. I got soak off white and clear from Dream and bonder gel from their tri-phase because I want to do a natural nail overlay. My own nails are long and strong, but not perfect with a wonky natural smile line on some so I set to work concealing that with the white. That skill is going to take time, the smile is fuzzy. Anyway I am more concerned about the feel of the things, compared to fibre glass they feel waxy. Have they not cured for long enough or is this normal. If it is not normal what should I do about it?

marijane

Hiya,
If they feel waxy, I would check your lamp to make sure the bulbs are ok. When the nails come out of the lamp and are wiped with scrubfresh or whatever finishing wipe you use, They should feel smooth not sticky or waxy.
The smile lines do become easier with time, You can dip your brush into a little scrubfresh and sweep under the smile line to give a much neater smile.
Hths

Sounds like your lamp is not suited to your gel. I had to get a lamp once in a mad panic, client in front of me lamp not working, mad dash down to Sally's, got the only one Sally's had which was a 6 watt lamp (up for sale on geekbay now!), and it wouldn't cure those buggers. Turns out my main lamp just needed resetting as it has a safety cut out if there's a power surge. You can put it under that lamp for eternity but it won't cure it as it doesn't have the right uv output or power to cure it. Looks like there's gonna be another lamp on Geekbay.

Phone your supplier and ask them if you can use this lamp just to make 100% sure, and if not buy your lamp from them.

Yes it is the same lamp I saw for sale on geek bay, but I know another nail tech who is using it without a problem. Had I best soak off these waxy things?

marijane

Hiya,

If it isn't a curing problem, it could possibly be that it naturally has a rubbery feel to it. In my experience, soak off gels tend to be much softer and pliable so this feeling would be quite new to you if you are use to the feeling of fibreglass.

Hope that helps.

P.S In case you have no experience with UV Lamps, bulbs do not 'blow' as normal ones do; they just start to set the product slower and slower until eventually they will not cure at all.

Hope that helps!

Georgie. xx

I'll check this one out with my friend who uses same gel.

thanks
marijane

Thanks Georgie,

Ive got it sorted now, I wasnt curing for olong enough for the low watt lamp and I wasn't ready for the different feel to soak off gel. thanks to all you geeks who also gave advice. I haven't given up and the results are getting much better.

marijane

Monkeystails said:
Hiya,

If it isn't a curing problem, it could possibly be that it naturally has a rubbery feel to it. In my experience, soak off gels tend to be much softer and pliable so this feeling would be quite new to you if you are use to the feeling of fibreglass.

Hope that helps.

P.S In case you have no experience with UV Lamps, bulbs do not 'blow' as normal ones do; they just start to set the product slower and slower until eventually they will not cure at all.

Hope that helps!

Georgie. xx

Latest posts

Back