Gel to acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelajane

Reaction score
Hi, Ive have a client get intouch wanting L+P on her own natural nail, but she has already got gel on them which have grown half way up her nail, any suggestions on how to go about this as it is new to me, only ever done rebalance on the same product, would i be best to take of all gel and start a fresh or thin out the gel and apply the acrylic over the top. Any advice much appreciated :biggrin:

I myself would probably take the gel right down. Just because I get nervous sometimes when a new client comes and you dont know what kind of product they have on. It takes a bit longer to take it down but I like fresh starts, and I love doing a new set of nails best :)

Thank you so much for your reply, i thought everyone would be in bed lol, am i right in thinking its ok to leave a very thin layer of gel on before i reapply with acrylic.

Thank you so much for your reply, i thought everyone would be in bed lol, am i right in thinking its ok to leave a very thin layer of gel on before i reapply with acrylic.

Treat it as an infill, gel is cured so its not classed as mixing systems. As long as the client is aware there could be a slight colour difference, this would be the quickest way, and will grow out soon enough. Good opportunity to upsell too, shellac or similar (if you offer it) over the NNO would disguise the colour difference perfectly ;) hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

I would remove most of the gel but leave a medium to thin layer, this way, you can protect the natural nail from any possible damage from over filing the old product off.
There really is no need to try and rid all the gel from the nail, it will grow out and by the sounds of it, it won't be long if she's saying it's already half way down her nail.
As already mentioned, there might be a slight color difference but as long as you explain this to the client, make sure you let her see you write this on her client card so if she complains about it in 2 weeks time, you can remind her she was informed and was ok with it as it's all written on her card.
I too would try and up sell a gel polish or even nail art or normal polish to cover the color difference if she thinks it's too noticeable.

Thanks everyone, i will let you all know how i get on :D xx

Well it didnt go to well, we decided on what we were doing, made sure she was aware that there would be colour difference with the different products and of i set to make her nails look beautiful and once the product went on it started to burn her nails, so i took it all off, she was ok about it, i suppose it is just one of those things, i offered to do her a gel polish but she doesnt like colour on her nails.

I'm curious when you say the product started to burn her nails so you took it all off again. Was that the whole nail or over the gel? Xxx

Latest posts

Back