Gelish application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trained in shellac and want to try Gelish on myself. Step by steps and videos are telling me different things - can anyone confirm?

Once you've cured the foundation coat, do you brush over it with a dry gel brush or not?

Thanks

I recently switched to gelish and am booked in for the course with them.
I was following the instructions in the booklet that came with my kit (applying foundation then dry brushing after curing) when I was at the Irish Beauty Show in the RDS last week one of the girls at the gelish stand demonstrated it on one nail.
What she did was apply pro bond, rubbing it in well with the brush. Then she took the foundation and placed a dab on each nail, only a tiny bit. Then took a gel nail brush (the one they give you in the kit to dry brush) and rub it in with that brush. And then curing. Ive been doing it ever since it makes application easier and faster as I'm not faffing about.

That's interesting. I don't have the kit, just the bits and pieces separately. But I have brushes that might work.

I recently switched to gelish and am booked in for the course with them.

I was following the instructions in the booklet that came with my kit (applying foundation then dry brushing after curing) when I was at the Irish Beauty Show in the RDS last week one of the girls at the gelish stand demonstrated it on one nail.

What she did was apply pro bond, rubbing it in well with the brush. Then she took the foundation and placed a dab on each nail, only a tiny bit. Then took a gel nail brush (the one they give you in the kit to dry brush) and rub it in with that brush. And then curing. Ive been doing it ever since it makes application easier and faster as I'm not faffing about.

You mean ph bond?
Ph bond is a dehydrator used before gelish, pro bond is a primer for gelish hard gel and l&p enhancements

I took it as ph bond when I read :)

Well just did my mums as a practice after using shellac on her previously and I've really knocked my confidence. It shrink back from the free edge and I made a right old mess out of nerves I think.

I took it as ph bond when I read :)

Well just did my mums as a practice after using shellac on her previously and I've really knocked my confidence. It shrink back from the free edge and I made a right old mess out of nerves I think.

Id definitely recommend a conversion class. Gelish application is different to shellac. (I've also converted to gelish from shellac) they go through application, troubleshooting etc. x

I've only just done my shellac so think I'm just going to not bother with the gelish again

I've only just done my shellac so think I'm just going to not bother with the gelish again

That's a shame. It's an amazing product, you'll be missing out :)

I only qualified in shellac a month ago so don't want to be jumping ahead into loads of training just yet.

I only qualified in shellac a month ago so don't want to be jumping ahead into loads of training just yet.

I don't think you need to do a conversion course, Gelish is fairly simple. I've been using it for years, here are my steps (all after basic pep as I don't scuff the nail plate):

1. Scrub nail with scrubfresh until they squeak.

2. Apply Foundation, wiggling the brush into the nail as you go. This scrubs the base coat into the nail so it adheres better. Cure UV 60secs

3. Dry brush. I used to not to this and had a load of shrinking problems. Switched back to dry brushing and they all went away.

4. Apply color coats. Curing in between at 2min each coat

5. Apply Top it off thinly. Cure 2min

6. Remove tacky layer and apply oil.

I think the major problem with those who use Shellac and go to another gel polish brand is they apply too thinly. Shellacs "thin to win" doesn't work well with other brands. I apply just like I would regular nail polish and thats perfect. I used to use Shellac and would apply Gelish as thin and it would never last.

Another trick is on the second color coat, you dont have to cap the free edge. This reduces the bulk and I find it lasts longer.

Thank you Jen. I did dry brush but I think my foundation was too thick. I just felt a bit sloppy and not 100% happy with mine or my mums application.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426428283.925596.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426428283.925596.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 105
Pic is a bit small ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426428352.058580.jpg

Thank you Jen. I did dry brush but I think my foundation was too thick. I just felt a bit sloppy and not 100% happy with mine or my mums application.

They look good! Just make sure you foundation is thin. Trick is remove almost all the product from the brush and then you will have the perfect amount for a thin application.

I trained in Shellac but switched to Gelish without a conversion course, but there are differences in application and removal and it took me some time to learn. I know techs who dry brush and those who don't and I can't say there's a difference in the result. I do not dry brush, but I think you have to be very careful to keep the foundation layer extremely thin, "scrubbing" it onto the nail, as described by EmmLF above, but also making sure you have complete coverage. A too thick application results in a thicker inhibition layer and the color coat floats on top rather than grabbing the base and you get shrinkage. Dry brushing removes the inhibition layer. But I think it better to go thin in the first place.

Last edited:

It does look a bit thick but still a good job. Jan Arnold once suggested that you run your nail down the client's nail after applying and curing the base coat. You should not feel the seam from natural nail to base coat; if you can, it's too thick.

Last edited:
Thinking of redoing my own this afternoon for a practice. But think I am probably better off sticking with shellac for a while.

Probably thick as I was so frustrated with how translucent the colour was I ended up with three coats.

I don't think the conversion course is very expensive and it's only one day. It pays to train with the company of the products being used as any problems can be sorted at the source and educators are at hand from there on to troubleshoot.

I don't think the conversion course is very expensive and it's only one day. It pays to train with the company of the products being used as any problems can be sorted at the source and educators are at hand from there on to troubleshoot.

No it isn't, I just don't want to overload myself when I've just trained in shellac and it isn't my career choice x

Latest posts

Back