Gelish help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou71

Reaction score
So, I'm new to manicure and Gelish but have done my mani and gel courses.

Ordered my lovely Geleish kit with 18G lamp and am practising on willing volunteers. Having varying degrees of success. My own nails and one or two friends last at least the full 2 weeks but most others are chipping, lifting within a week.

I think I've ready every thread and bit of advise regarding prep and application to make sure I'm doing things correctly but not getting very far.

I know that many of you don't bother dry brushing or buffing and still have great results. There seems to be every contradiction around how much of bond, foundation and colour to apply.

My friend who regularly has Gelish done and helped me out cant see any difference in how I apply to what she's already experienced. Her only comment today was that previously hers have seemed thicker and more 'plastic' whereas mine felt more like a standard polish. This is me trying to apply thinly as all the advise seems to suggest.

I'm not giving up yet but just cannot see where I'm going wrong. How long did it take you all to really grasp applying and consistently getting 2-3 weeks?

Sorry for the long post but any advice gratefully received.:irked:

Hi have you done the Gelish course? If not, I would highly recommend it.

PEP is so important so I spend time on this. I don't buff although NH do recommend.
I was taught to dab a tiny bit of foundation onto each nail and then wipe the brush on a tissue to wipe of excess product, then really scrub the foundation into the nails to get it thin but make sure if covers the whole nail. I then use a small sponge (from NH) to wipe over and apply my colour x2/3 . Each coat should be thin. Then I top coat making sure to cover the whole nail. Wipe to remove sticky to finish. My clients get 3-4 weeks x

Hi,
I've personally not had any problems at all with gelish from day one.
I'm on my way out now but quickly Things off the top of my head are:
thoroughly prepping & removing all cuticle from the nail plate
Using ph bond
Thin foundation layer & capping free edge
Dry brushing foundation after curing.
Thin colour coats & capping free edge.
Topcoat & capping free edge.

Are you doing all of those?
Are the people who's nails you have done followed aftercare - wearing gloves when washing up, using nourish, not being hard on their nails?

Just a few things then we can try to help out with what's causing them to chip etc.
x

PEP is so important so I spend time on this. I don't buff although NH do recommend.
I was taught to dab a tiny bit of foundation onto each nail and then wipe the brush on a tissue to wipe of excess product, then really scrub the foundation into the nails to get it thin but make sure if covers the whole nail. I then use a small sponge (from NH) to wipe over and apply my colour x2/3 . Each coat should be thin. Then I top coat making sure to cover the whole nail. Wipe to remove sticky to finish. My clients get 3-4 weeks x

Wiping on a tissue? That's wasting product 😮 😬 lol x

Wiping on a tissue? That's wasting product 😮 😬 lol x

Yes just wiping the brush. It's how I was shown on my course. That way it's really thin. If you wipe on the bottle to get excess off, it still leaves some on the brush. It took me a while to get my head round it too but it works for me. It really is minimal amounts x

Thanks all for your responses.

I believe I'm preping as I should. I'm still practising on getting closer to the cuticle and sides with a neat edge so my only thought is that this could maybe be the issue.

Its frustration as my own nails are fine and I don't follow the advice at all but still get 2 weeks without any issues. Don't know how much longer I'd get as I always change colour after 2!

I've booked a load more ladies in for practice but obviously don't want to start charging until I'm consistently getting at least 2 weeks.

Thanks all for your responses.

I believe I'm preping as I should. I'm still practising on getting closer to the cuticle and sides with a neat edge so my only thought is that this could maybe be the issue.

Its frustration as my own nails are fine and I don't follow the advice at all but still get 2 weeks without any issues. Don't know how much longer I'd get as I always change colour after 2!

I've booked a load more ladies in for practice but obviously don't want to start charging until I'm consistently getting at least 2 weeks.

The Finger Nail Fixer has a great video on YouTube for removing all the cuticle which might help, I've watched it even though I get 2-3 weeks out of CND Shellac for my clients and 3-4 from Gelish, I found it really interesting. Can't understand how people put up with the regrowth after 2 weeks but hey, each to their own lol. Also it depends on the client's natural nails. I only get 10 days out of CND Shellac and 2 weeks from Gelish as my nails are weak and peely. IBX has helped to improve them so this might be worth looking into. Mine will never be perfect due to health reasons but they have improved with IBX. x

I apply a small amount of foundation on each nail, then use a gel brush to cover the nail. Wouldn't waste product on a tissue!

I apply a small amount of foundation on each nail, then use a gel brush to cover the nail. Wouldn't waste product on a tissue!

As foundation is to be scrubbed into the nail plate, I wouldn't want to damage a gel brush. It is just the way I was taught and a way that works for me. Minimal amounts come off the brush as I have already removed most of the excess product from the brush before dabbing on the nails. I'm not a wasteful person and certainly wouldn't waste something that is so expensive. Just giving my method to try and help the OP 😊 I'm sure we all work differently to a certain extent and this is my way. Didn't say it was wrong or right, just how I was taught on my NH Gelish course.

As foundation is to be scrubbed into the nail plate, I wouldn't want to damage a gel brush. It is just the way I was taught and a way that works for me. Minimal amounts come off the brush as I have already removed most of the excess product from the brush before dabbing on the nails. I'm not a wasteful person and certainly wouldn't waste something that is so expensive. Just giving my method to try and help the OP 😊 I'm sure we all work differently to a certain extent and this is my way. Didn't say it was wrong or right, just how I was taught on my NH Gelish course.

I meant no offence! I wouldn,t say I scrub foundation into the nail, just apply an extremely thin layer and using a gel brush works for me. Everyone ends up do in things there own way, whatever works!!

I meant no offence! I wouldn,t say I scrub foundation into the nail, just apply an extremely thin layer and using a gel brush works for me. Everyone ends up do in things there own way, whatever works!!

I know 😊 that's why this forum is great to hear how everyone works differently x

Latest posts

Back