Gelish monomer help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonda

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,

I've just spent the last half an hour reading all the previous posts about how to reduce the smell of monomer, what techniques you can do to reduce the smell, products available which reduce, odour-free or even take the smell out.

I'm in the middle of my Gelish Fusion course & even though i'm informed that the monomer Nail Harmony use is low odour, i obviously have a keen sense of smell as i think it's really strong & it's giving me headaches using it.
During the 1st day training with it, it took me 6 hours to get rid of the headache & that was even after i took 2 of my strongest painkillers :sad:

For example, last night when i got home, i had to practice on myself, (due to living with my folks & not wanting to stink their house out) i worked in my bedroom, on the window-ledge, with both windows wide open.
At the time i couldn't smell the product, went downstairs to show my folks my handy work, popped back up to my room & WHACK ... straight in the face, the smell of monomer :sad:

I left the windows open while i tidied my equipment up, put all rubbish in the bin outside & put my equipment in my trolley which i kept in the en-suite bathroom.

However, i've woken up this morning with a stinking headache & my bathroom stinks of monomer even though it's locked up in the middle of a large metal case !!

I really don't think i'll be able to keep using a monomer that smells but i want to be able to do acrylics as i know this is what clients will want.
I already do Gelish treatments but i know there are die-hard enhancement fans out there & i don't want to miss out of any future business.

So my question is ... would it be possible to use an odour-free monomer with the Gelish products i already have ?

71 views & no replies :|

Anyone got any help ?

Sorry I can't help as I was wondering a similar thing.. Have you phoned Harmony directly?

I haven't rang them, i was speaking to another nail tech at my local salon when i was getting my eye brows done, she thinks i would be able to, however apparently the odourless monomer causes the acrylic to be sticky once it's set, which is what i've also read on here.
She thinks if i was to ring them, they'd say no cause they'd want me to purely use their products &not mix & match.

I've spent the afternoon reading even more about different monomers, products & extractor fans.
The NSI fuminator is no longer available with NSI, but after lots of random internet searches i think i've found something similar which i'm considering trying to overcome the vapours.
FXF11-1 FILTER SYSTEM WITH STAND: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
is one of them, not cheap but if it works i'm willing to pay.

I haven't rang them, i was speaking to another nail tech at my local salon when i was getting my eye brows done, she thinks i would be able to, however apparently the odourless monomer causes the acrylic to be sticky once it's set, which is what i've also read on here.
She thinks if i was to ring them, they'd say no cause they'd want me to purely use their products &not mix & match.

I've spent the afternoon reading even more about different monomers, products & extractor fans.
The NSI fuminator is no longer available with NSI, but after lots of random internet searches i think i've found something similar which i'm considering trying to overcome the vapours.
FXF11-1 FILTER SYSTEM WITH STAND: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
is one of them, not cheap but if it works i'm willing to pay.

First of all, there is no such thing as Gelish Fusion:) There is Harmony fusion and Gelish Hard gel and soft gel. Regarding using a odourless monomer with Harmony fusion powders I would definitely not recommend it. Odourless systems are a lot different from the normal ones and there is on guarantee that it will not cause problems.

I think everyone here that uses l&p will tell you that they didn't very much like the smell in the beginning but you really do get used to it. I can hardly smell it anymore. If you really cannot get along with it you should rather get a full system of odourless acrylic and use that instead. Or you can specialize in gels.

Bottom line, it doesn't do the Harmony acrylic justice to mix it with another monomer. None of the high end nail companies do an odourless monomer and I would think there is a reason:)

First of all, there is no such thing as Gelish Fusion:) There is Harmony fusion and Gelish Hard gel and soft gel.

Ah, see that's what a banging headache does to me first thing in the morning ... i get my product names all mixed up .... i'm surprised i didn't put my clothes on back to front as well !!

I may get used to the smell but if it still gives me headaches then there's no point in doing it.
Think i'm going to try the extractor fan & see how i get on, failing that acrylics are off the menu.

I may get used to the smell but if it still gives me headaches then there's no point in doing it.
Think i'm going to try the extractor fan & see how i get on, failing that acrylics are off the menu.

Read the thread I linked, there are plenty of options in between an extractor fan and giving up L+P!

Latest posts

Back