Gelish top coat burning clients in lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
So for the last few weeks I've had a LOT of clients say its burning when they put their hand in the lamp after applying the gelisg top coat. Its fine for colour coats and base and only happens with the top coat. I'm using the gelish 18G LED lamp and haven't changed anything. Its too many clients that have never had this issue before to be a coincidence. I don't want to be causing them unncecessary discomfort so would like to figure it out ASAP!
Any one have any ideas why this could be happening?

Stop using the product as you don't want to cause your clients harm. You then need to contact nail harmony, tell them where and when you bought the product (I'm presuming you bought from an authorised dealer) they will need to investigate, and will replace your product.

If you bought from an unauthorised retailer then a lesson has been learnt in buying counterfeit goods.

Is it a new bottle? May be the product is applied too thickly and causing a heat spike!

It sounds like heat spikes, apply thinly and make sure it doesn't touch any surrounding skin.

Is it being applied too thickly?
Clients nails thin?
Are you filing/buffing too much at removal before re application?

Have you tried it on yourself to see if you have the same problem?
Just trying to rule things out.

It won't be the actual top it off. I'm guessing it's either something you are doing or the lamp xx

OK to answer the above questions
Yes its from an authorised seller:Creative Academy are authorised distributors here in Ireland
No its not being applied thickly I haven't changed how I apply it. Yes it sounds like a heatspike but I can't understand why.
No I'm only used a soft buffer when buffing.

I can't use it on myself as I have gel extensions on so wouldn't feel it. I've used it on my boss and colleagues and they are getting the occasional heat spike also.

One thing that has changed is the top coat could have been exposed to UV light. My table is in window and one day as I was applying top coat on a particularly sunny day there was sunlight shining on clients nails as I applied top coat, I noticed the brush start to toughen up (it was curing from sun) I immediately blocked the sun and cleaned the brush off.
Could this have affected the bottle of top coat and somehow changed its chemical makeup to cause spiking?? That's the only thing I can think of that's happened.

Also no it's not a new bottle which is why I'm confused as to why its suddenly doing this

I've recently got an 18g lamp and have had this problem too. I never ever had any problems with heat spike before with my UV lamps.
I had put it down to me applying the top it off too thickly, I had just opened a new bottle and was possibly overloading my brush.

I apply it as thinly as I can, but some clients have still commented that "this lamp feels hotter" when the topcoat is curing. I get them to take their hands out and then go back in. Not ideal, but it's the best thing to do.

It is for this reason that the CND led lamp pulsates for the first 10 seconds, to prevent heat spike, so it is a known problem if they felt the need to do that.

I've had my 18g for over a year and none of my clients or myself have ever had heat spike so that's odd.

Especially if it's just the top it off and not colour coats? x

I've had my 18g for over a year and none of my clients or myself have ever had heat spike so that's odd.

Especially if it's just the top it off and not colour coats? x

Its really odd, I've had the lamp for months now since January and never had the problem until now. Thats why I thought it was the topcoat being exposed to UV light since it only started around that time. Im getting to the end of the bottle now so it'll be interesting to see if it still happens when I get a new top coat!

Maybe email nail harmony and see if they can help. Xx

I find that it can happen to my clients when they're hormonal as your more sensitive x

Just get them to press their fingers down as its happening...it will stop the burn feeling straight away xx

On another note...absolutely no problem when I did my toes yet I know I was a bit heavy on the topcoat. I hate doing my own tors...they seem to get harder to reach every time I do them [emoji13]

I find around their lady days it is more sensitive (for myself also) I ask my client to pop their hand out push down on the fingers and back in again.

Latest posts

Back