Gelish vs OPI GelColor: The Verdict!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Havent been on Salon Geek in a few weeks but as some of you know I was encountering alot of problems with OPI Gelcolor and decided to change over to Gelish and give that a try... well heres the verdict...
I LOVE IT :D

Application: Gelish is alot easier to apply, It stays where you brush it and doesnt run, with OPI I found the colour run a bit, it seems thinner than Gelish and I always, no matter how hard I tried, managed to get OPI in the sidewalls or flood the cuticle on at least one finger.
The Colours: Gelish have such a wide variety of colours I am spoilt for choice! I know OPI have just started out and they did start with 30 colours and then added another 12 to the collection... In my eyes the 12 new ones they have added are all quite similar. There are no neons or pretty Nudes as of yet which is disappointing. I only brought 15 of the OPI colours as I didnt like the others that much at all! Also Gelish colours seem to have a depth to them, like they look better than what an OPI colour would (This is in my opinion anyway)
Longevity: So far I have only tested Gelish on myself and my mum, this is because I didnt want to offer another product to my clients without knowing if it lasts or if it would chip. I do not want to lose anymore customers to the 'chip problem' OPI only lasted a maximum of a few days to a week with my mum as she does alot of cleaning (yes she uses gloves, shes always in and out of them which I think caused a problem with OPI) anyway she had been in and out of bleach and things like that and the Gelish has stayed in tact, she had it on for 2 weeks and received one chip on her thumb, this was because she picked at something which caused the thumb to lift. She has told me that she definitely feels it lasts a lot longer than OPI. Thumbs up from her.
For me its lasted alot better also. With OPI if you had applied it incorrectly, for example used too much polish on one nail (I usually do this with my little finger on my left hand for some strange reason) it would lift literally the next day and would come off after about 2 or 3 days later no matter how hard you tried to keep it on. With Gelish it didnt lift for at least a week and when it did lift it was only a tiny bit and still stayed on for another week. I am amazed!
Removal: Here is my only downfall, OPI does remove alot better, with Gelish it came off in bits, OPI comes off as one and you dont need to break the seal. I buffed a bit with Gelish and it took around 15 - 20 minutes for it to come off. I know some people say they dont break the seal... my mother tried this and apparently it came off alot better so I shall try not breaking the seal on my next removal.
Condition of the Nail after: Gelish does seem better for the nails than OPI. When you removed OPI the nails looked dry and slightly flakey. This happened often with my mum and she feels it made her nails worse.
With Gelish she has told me her nails actually do seem stronger and they look normal, no dryness and no flakeyness! (She uses solar oil everyday and has done with both brands)

I hope no one takes offence to this post. This is just my opinion. I am not cussing the brands or anything like that I am just simply comparing them and explaining my findings!
So anyway thats my review :p
Oh and one more thing... You dont have to shake the Gelish bottles... WOOHOO... no more looking like a idiot shaking an OPI bottle madly in front of my clients :o

x

Awww Chelle i've read all your posts about your problems with OPI. I'm glad you've now found a product that suits you perfectly.

Get gelish-ing your clients lovely :) xxx

Awww Chelle i've read all your posts about your problems with OPI. I'm glad you've now found a product that suits you perfectly.

Get gelish-ing your clients lovely :) xxx

Thank you lovely!
What a nice comment x

Yey!!

I'm pleased you've found a product you can work with xx

You have definately had a hard time with it so good luck with the new one and hope your clients love it too xx

I haven't tried OPI Gelcolor as I'm into Gelish, so I'm glad to read your review on here. I was tempted to try out a few OPI Gelcolors but seeing as their bottles are so much more expensive I won't bother now.

Aren't the Gelish neons fantastic ??? I just got them recently and I'm in loooove !!

I too have been following your threads about OPI as I was tied between them and Gelish and ended up choosing Gelish.

I'm so glad you love it!!!

Latest posts

Back