Getting foils neat and close to the root on curly hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a couple of clients with amazing curly hair - I think it's such beautiful hair but I seem to struggle getting the foils close to the roots for them! It seems to be much more of an issue with curly clients than straight haired clients! I also find it really hard getting the short baby hair at the roots and round the hairline into foils too :( my clients seem happy enough with what I'm doing, but I really want it to be as perfect as possible because I love colouring so much. Any advice would be really appreciated x

One idea would be flat ironing the partings to get hair that lies flat but my best tip is to foil slightly damp hair.
I don't mean soakingly wet but starting the cut, then flat wrap but keep some moisture in. You may up your developer though with very dark or thick hair though.

With shorter edges or difficult hairlines - try to do microfine weaves not taking too much hair. Or balayage the coutures afterwards.

I put foils in the way the hair grows out of the head....go with the bend of the hair. I also like fing grade foil and use the hair to bend the foil over for coloring. Fine grade is better manipulated and I find it stays in place better too.

Latest posts

Back