Getting out blue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
I have a client who has dyed her hair dark blue. It has faded on the ends so they are a silver/grey (she was a dark blonde before) midlenghts are still very blue. She is wanting all the blue out with out going to dark. She is wanting to be blonde eventually but understands it could take quite a while. She will be happy to be a light brown/dark blonde for now.

I was going to strip it with something like zalon but I'm thinking that wont take blue out, I might need something bleach based?
Any suggestions or help?

This is her when she 1st dyed it
PicsArt_03-04-01.18.33.jpg

I have just been messaging her and the colour she used was blue mercury live box colour! So I am now thinking the colour remover might work as if I remember right it is only direct dyes it doesnt work on?

I'm also going to tell her she might need to go darker than she wants, theres no way shes going to walk out blonde

I have just been messaging her and the colour she used was blue mercury live box colour! So I am now thinking the colour remover might work as if I remember right it is only direct dyes it doesnt work on?

I'm also going to tell her she might need to go darker than she wants, theres no way shes going to walk out blonde
Do a strand test, you'll be surprised. The live blue is actually some form of semi permanent. I had a client attempt blue hair with home bleach and live XXL blue. Needles to say she didn't achieve what she wanted to. So I strand tested it and I used wella blondor + 6% and it lifted the blue out and lifted through a lot of the banding that she had. I managed to lift it to a level 8 and then re coloured it. You could try and lift out the blue and then even out the base to start with. If you're lucky you could get a nice even level 7 or lighter.

Do a strand test, you'll be surprised. The live blue is actually some form of semi permanent. I had a client attempt blue hair with home bleach and live XXL blue. Needles to say she didn't achieve what she wanted to. So I strand tested it and I used wella blondor + 6% and it lifted the blue out and lifted through a lot of the banding that she had. I managed to lift it to a level 8 and then re coloured it. You could try and lift out the blue and then even out the base to start with. If you're lucky you could get a nice even level 7 or lighter.

Thanks. So do you think it would be best to go straight in with bleach rather than a colour reducer?

Thanks. So do you think it would be best to go straight in with bleach rather than a colour reducer?
I would definitely strand test, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. But that's what worked for me. If you feel more comfortable with a colour remover then could you strand test with that?

Thanks I'll ask her to come in for a strand test first

I decided on a colour remover in the end and it worked perfectly! When she came in her blue had faded a lot on the ends but midlenghts were still very blue. I used a colour reducer all over which removed all of the blue then all I had to do was a root stretch in 7.0 + 7.3. I didn't even tone the ends as she loved the blonde colour.
Hes a pic

Attachments

• PicsArt_03-06-01.57.55.jpg
    PicsArt_03-06-01.57.55.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 23

I had blue and it was totally gone after 5 months. I went straight to highlights and you would never have known.

Latest posts

Back