Getting started:Please help me if you can

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheekychicken12

Reaction score
Hi I'm a fully qualified beautician I've never ever worked in a salon I'm very passionate about my beauty and always perform my treatment on close friends and family I never charge as I'm not self employed this is my question I have level 2 beauty I've also done a spray tan and eyelash extension course how do I go about becoming self employed I have no idea where to start or what to do any help at all will be really good thanks in advance xx

Buy kit, have a promotional strategy, decide where you'll work from, inform hmrc that you're self employed, perhaps find an accountant who will charge you proportionately to the amount of money that you expect to earn.

Good luck :)

Yep get yourself set up, inform hmrc. Any products you buy, clients you do, petrol if you do mobile keep the receipts for your yearly tax return x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Same reply as above really :)
Buy the kit you need (keep all receipts)
Work from home (notify local council & HMRC
Work mobile (notify HMRC & car insurance, as will be classed as Business use)
Rent room (notify HMRC, have a contract in place between you & landlord/salon manager)
Plus notify National insurance.
Keep all receipts for paying rent, utility bills, petrol, keep them all & at the end of the tax year the amount you have spent will come off any taxable income.

Set up a social media page, advertise yourself, your treatments, your products, SELL YOURSELF it's your business!!
Set your prices so you will make a profit, look at what others charge around you, but don't undersell yourself, we provide a professional service & we take pride in our work!!
Search inland Rev they have a lot of information on there, some jargon but the more you keep reading about it all the more you will understand!!
Open 1 or 2 bank accounts, personal use & one for business use to buy products from (statement will back up receipts for end of year tax)
Xx

Hi I'm a fully qualified beautician I've never ever worked in a salon I'm very passionate about my beauty and always perform my treatment on close friends and family I never charge as I'm not self employed this is my question I have level 2 beauty I've also done a spray tan and eyelash extension course how do I go about becoming self employed I have no idea where to start or what to do any help at all will be really good thanks in advance xx

Hi I'm in exactly the same position as this, NVQ Level 2, never worked in a salon, Eyelash Extensions & Spray Tanning Certificate, had lots of practice on friends and family and thinking about maybe starting to charge / advertising etc as I feel there's potential for it to take off.. and I see this is a recent post too. Would you mind letting me know how you get on with the list of things to do ? and any tips you pick up along the way? What kind of insurance/company will you go for? How much does it cost?

I would stay employed too in a non related job, for a steady wage for bills etc.. So mobile beauty would be evenings & weekends where possible. In my experience the most popular & suitable times for people wanting mobile beauty treatments is evening and weekends anyway. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks for any help
Hollie

I work fulltime throughout the week and do nails at night time, usually giving myself the weekend off. I tend to do 5 appointments a week which is enough for me at the moment. It works for me.

Ill be training in waxing in april so hope to see more clients throughout the week and possibly drop a day with my fulltime work to have a full day of wax/nails!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back