Getting To Grips With Your New Skills. Perseverence Is Key!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
When people decide to become nail technicians/beauty therapists etc, they most often are filled with an overflowing excitement and rush of passion for the new skill they are about to learn. This is admirable and yes...... for most of us who have already entered the beauty industry, we can understand that rush of excitement and passion.

However, it is disheartening to hear, that when encountering the first hurdle in learning a new skill..... and there will be hurdles..... the student or trained therapist wants to just chuck it in and give up.

We all have good days and we all have bad. We all find doing somethings or learning new techniques/skills more difficult or easier than others. But how do we overcome these difficulties? Is the answer, to just give up and move on to something else?

I know passion fizzles (yes it has happened to me) when things go wrong, but should we not then strive to overcome the hurdles and work around them and try to put them right?

Do you think that many people entering, or who have already entered the beauty industry, think it is easy and a' piece of cake'? I for one, know it is not. It requires the appropriate knowledge, understanding and hard work of how and why we do what we do in our jobs.

I really do think perseverance is key. It requires determination and a bit of discipline, but the rewards are huge especially when the old passion is fired up again.

What are your thoughts on this and what advice would you give to somebody struggling to master a certain skill?

This is very well said

I think the key thing to remember is why you wanted to enter the industry in the first place, although you need to have passion for learning a new skill you also need to be patient and know that very often it will get hard but you must persevere in order to succeed

Nothing worth having ever came easy!

Good post Mrs Clooney, Wheres gorge babe ? lol

Anyway as Im' a student, I think incouragement from those around you, including your tutor is a really good start, a lot of determination, a passion for it, lots of practice, even if it's on tips, and lastly to feel confident, ( I'm not a confident person in general ), but it does work imo, well for me it has, I still dont like certain things, eg blending, but I just get on with it:hug:

Hear hear Tracey! My advice for anyone entering this industry would be to Practice,Practice,Practice and when you're done Practice Some More! Skills and experience cannot be gained 'overnight' and sometimes it is this impatience that leads to a poor service for the client and disillusionment from the therapist. The skills we have can always be improved upon and no one must ever become complacent...as soon as that happens the client is out the door and trying a different salon down the road....
oohh I'm on my soap box again, sorry :)

Sarah xxx

Unfortunately I think perserverance is a quality that's becoming rarer in life in general! It's so much easier to just give in than face challanges & obstacles head on & to come over all zen-like the journey is often worth more than the goal!

One of my friends who is training was thinking of giving it all in as she was comparing her skills to mine, saying "I'm not as good at it as you", until I pointed out I had 13 years of practice to get where I am! I was apalling at college, couldn't paint nails, took hours to wax & stuck someone's eyelids together trying to apply false lashes! I always tell them there's no quick fixes to being the best, it just comes down to applied practice.

I echo all the sentiments expressed here - but I believe there are still attitudes that think beauty is "easy" I mean how hard can it be to paint a few nails!!!! I also think that learn in a day type courses should also take responsibility for this misconception that you too can be a beauty therapist/nail tech in a short space of time. This industry takes dedication, plenty of financial backing and determination to get there.:)

Great Thread!

First off i want to start by saying those who are not in the beauty industry often think its easy being a beauty industry as your doing things all beauty - yes indeed its a great job and we enjoy doing what we do, but by all means it isnt easy at all. It takes good memory, good communication skills, patience, skill and more learning than you could ever think of!

When i started out in the beauty industry i thought hey this is going to be so easy (i started off with tanning) but it sure wasnt easy i must admit tanning is easier than other treatments, but after my traning i done so much practice and got honest opinions from people. But looking back the more practice i done the more i learnt - at first i made mistakes but i was determined to carry on and correct my mistakes you are ALLOWED to make mistakes you wouldnt be normal if you didnt. Even to this day i ocassionaly make some mistakes but you learn from them for next time.

Last year in April i took my manicure and pedicure course was so excited and i planned to practice and then start charging once my confidence was Ok.. And i went allong and practiced and never did actually add it to my treatment menu, i sold all my things and gave up!! (Not to sure why now i cant remember?) But now i wish i never as ive decided to use my skill to now add this to my menu for clients and now i find it hard, as ive had to go and do all my practice again and gain my confidence all over!

What gives me the confidence and drive to carry on is partly this forum seeing those who have their success, confidence and skill... and i think to myself i want to be like that so i carry on. It does get hard, you will make mistakes but you learn from it and carry on.

As most of the time when you do give up you will mostly end up going back to doing it again then you will have to start from scratch just like i did.

This is my advice to those who are finding it hard to get it right, but you will get it right in the end remember there is no rush! You have all the time in the world you dont have to rush and get it all done and be perfect within a month take your time it will be worth it and you will feel so proud of yourself once you are there and you will get far in what you do.

Practice makes perfect

hths xx

well said and I totally agree but I think what is a main part of the problem is the fact that most people do think its easy....and if im totally honest I used to think it must be easy....

the 2 main reasons in the beginning that I wanted to be a nail tech....ive always from a young age liked messing about with nails and liked wearing polish and make up that kind of thing....I got mine done at an NSS one day and loved wearing them..wanted to be able to do it myself and of course...thought it looked easy....hence also thinking I could make some easy money...on the side lol....they are the raw stripped down honest facts that started me on the road.....so when I started imagine my shock and disappointment when I realised it wasnt easy at all lol....which is enough to make someone give in but as it happens I do have a true passion for nails and not for making money on the side...so ive stuck with it, spent a fortune and I love the industry more and more everyday....but I do think its a fact that most people think that its easy....on one hand its down-right ignorant but on the other hand....who can blame them really....I mean all the client sees alot of the time is a tip being stuck on with glue...some stuff painted on top...some filing and away they go with nails on....they only see a fraction of what is involved...and that small fraction to them looks pretty simple!

I get so fed up of that attitude...I still get comments occasionally from my friends...they jokingly say something to imply its all a peice of cake...nothing to it....in fact I havent spoke to my dad for a few months now because Im sick and tired of him thinking that what I do is not only easy but a load of rubbish...a bimbos job etc etc....he thinks I should forget it all, get rid of all my stuff and get a real job..even its cleaning or shelf stacking or something! grrrrrrrrrr!

Latest posts

Back