Ginger hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurajane_85

Reaction score
Hi geeks late I know!

Just wondering what your thoughts are with colouring red heads.
My niece is coming tomorrow with her mum and she's a total redhead. Beautiful colour 7/43 is probably closest to what she is naturally. Now she's just text me asking if I could do a few natural soft highlights in her hair. Nothing too harsh more sun kissed look.
Iv just rummaged through my bag of tricks and Iv got 12/89
8/1 and bleach.
Don't have anything to tone so bleach and tone may not be the option.
Has anyone has experience with 12/89 on redheads I'm still getting back into using wella. Doing was thinking a few weaved out foils around the hairline and balayaged throughout the ends with 12%
Any thoughts would be brill.

Late night hair texts........don't ya just love em eh?!?

If she only wants a few soft highlights for a sun kissed look then high lift is going to be too much.

Sunlights would be good if she has natural hair, they are in the colour touch range.

Or you could use your 8/1 with 6% would be better if you had a 9 though x

I'd balayage......

If she only wants a few soft highlights for a sun kissed look then high lift is going to be too much.

Sunlights would be good if she has natural hair, they are in the colour touch range.

Or you could use your 8/1 with 6% would be better if you had a 9 though x

Yes I did think sunlights but with it being bank holiday Monday I can't get anything as the wholesalers will be shut today.
I do have 9% may do that then. Do you think the 8/1 is enough to cut thru the strong red in her hair. I realise it's not going to go ashy thought.

Yes I did think sunlights but with it being bank holiday Monday I can't get anything as the wholesalers will be shut today.
I do have 9% may do that then. Do you think the 8/1 is enough to cut thru the strong red in her hair. I realise it's not going to go ashy thought.

No it will still be warm. That's fine though. A redhead would look weird with ashy matte highlights anyway. The idea when working with red heads, is to give them more tone on tone colors, just to enhance her natural red tones and give them more dimension.

Hi geeks late I know!

Just wondering what your thoughts are with colouring red heads.
My niece is coming tomorrow with her mum and she's a total redhead. Beautiful colour 7/43 is probably closest to what she is naturally. Now she's just text me asking if I could do a few natural soft highlights in her hair. Nothing too harsh more sun kissed look.
Iv just rummaged through my bag of tricks and Iv got 12/89
8/1 and bleach.
Don't have anything to tone so bleach and tone may not be the option.
Has anyone has experience with 12/89 on redheads I'm still getting back into using wella. Doing was thinking a few weaved out foils around the hairline and balayaged throughout the ends with 12%
Any thoughts would be brill.

Late night hair texts........don't ya just love em eh?!?
Hi, I'm a natural red head and on occasion I'll have a few fine highlights but the only thing that'll lift mine is bleach and 20vol....mine doesn't shift at all with highlift! You're best doing a strand test first to see how stubborn her pigment is...mine is VERY stubborn!!! lol xxx

Sorry just seen how that is confusing, I meant it would be better if you had a 9/1.

You still want the hair to be golden because if it's too cool the colours won't sit well together x

Sorry just seen how that is confusing, I meant it would be better if you had a 9/1.

You still want the hair to be golden because if it's too cool the colours won't sit well together x

Totally agree. A 9 would be better cause shes a 7 naturally and using an 8 won't show up much. If you have nothing else, I'd bump up your developer to 30, maybe even add some 40, to make it a 35v. Just to give you some ample lift x

Hi, I'm a natural red head and on occasion I'll have a few fine highlights but the only thing that'll lift mine is bleach and 20vol....mine doesn't shift at all with highlift! You're best doing a strand test first to see how stubborn her pigment is...mine is VERY stubborn!!! lol xxx

Yeah maybe the best thing. I'm trying to find a photo I can upload. She is what I would call a true copper top!

Yeah maybe the best thing. I'm trying to find a photo I can upload. She is what I would call a true copper top!
Ooh might be harder to lift then, mine is more auburn, it's fine but loads of it! Mine goes a really nice warm blonde though without toning so you may be in luck, it might turn out perfect without any toning! xxx

Balayage with 40vol + Ola........:cool:
Trust me on this, we're a family of Gingers, so have had plenty of experience colouring it!
Both my girls have this and it looks beautiful....be sure not to let it dry out....You won't need to tone.:)

I use 11.0 with 40vol and 7.0 & 7.3 mix on a red head client 2 light to 1 dark & it's beautiful, recently I switched to bleach and I was surprised at how much warmth remained in the hair, I generally get a better result with the high lift on her

Latest posts

Back