Giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have , but as I said in my post , it's not worth it , not making the full amount as I would mobile so make my full amount being mobile than in salon paying my daily / weekly rent from my takings

Even 50% of 3 clients is more than 100% of 1 client though!!! and you'd be building up a Client base, getting more experience which in turn would boost your confidence and make you more at ease chatting to clients.

Hey Hun a wee bit off advice if you do decide to continue,
I just had a nose on your Facebook page and a couple of things I noticed

You're work is lovely your nails look really nice!

In your about section all you really have is that you're qualified in extensions. The about section on Facebook is where you really sell yourself it's the first part that clients see!
Introduce yourself, talk about the treatments you offer, what prouducts do you use and why? do you sculpt nails or use tips do you do free hand nail art? stamping? Have a wide variety of colours? Glitters etc? Are you professional, friendly etc? Fully insured? Fully qualified? All things like that need to be in there. You say loads of people in your area use cn I'm from midcalder and haven't seen it is it a professional product what do you like about it? Use your Facebook to tell client why you've chosen it. As someone said people go for brands they know like cnd or gelish etc so if you use something different say why. If you do work from home or have the option for people to come to you take a couple of pictures of where you work all set up so people know what they are walking into. You have some good reviews on your page reply to the reviews people have written even just 'thank you for your review I'm pleased to hear you love your nails/hair. I look forward to seeing you again soon' it's just a little personal touch.
Another thing I've noticed.
When you don't have clients what do you do? Do you paint colour wheels to show of your colour collection? do you practice nail art and different designs on nail pops? If so take some pictures to show clients your colour collection, your glitter collection your skills.

How do you work your deposit system for extensions because that isn't clear do you colour match and do your consultation then ask for the deposit or do you expect the deposit to be paid before consultation etc? As a client I wouldn't want to hand over a deposit until I'd at least met you because it's very easy for you to say I would never con someone but if I don't know you how do I know you wouldn't because plenty would.

I know you said you have a look through other people's facebooks for ideas which is great, as well as looking for the good points think if there's anything you would ask as a client of booking that person, for example do they sculpt nails or use tips? What time do they work? If mobile what area do they cover? Then look at yours and see have you got answers to all those questions on yours?

I absolutely love your nails they look really nice. It might be an idea to look for a position in a salon even if it's employed that will help you build a client base and is guaranteed money and you might even get your love of the industry back xx

Hey Hun a wee bit off advice if you do decide to continue,
I just had a nose on your Facebook page and a couple of things I noticed

You're work is lovely your nails look really nice!

In your about section all you really have is that you're qualified in extensions. The about section on Facebook is where you really sell yourself it's the first part that clients see!
Introduce yourself, talk about the treatments you offer, what prouducts do you use and why? do you sculpt nails or use tips do you do free hand nail art? stamping? Have a wide variety of colours? Glitters etc? Are you professional, friendly etc? Fully insured? Fully qualified? All things like that need to be in there. You say loads of people in your area use cn I'm from midcalder and haven't seen it is it a professional product what do you like about it? Use your Facebook to tell client why you've chosen it. As someone said people go for brands they know like cnd or gelish etc so if you use something different say why. If you do work from home or have the option for people to come to you take a couple of pictures of where you work all set up so people know what they are walking into. You have some good reviews on your page reply to the reviews people have written even just 'thank you for your review I'm pleased to hear you love your nails/hair. I look forward to seeing you again soon' it's just a little personal touch.
Another thing I've noticed.
When you don't have clients what do you do? Do you paint colour wheels to show of your colour collection? do you practice nail art and different designs on nail pops? If so take some pictures to show clients your colour collection, your glitter collection your skills.

How do you work your deposit system for extensions because that isn't clear do you colour match and do your consultation then ask for the deposit or do you expect the deposit to be paid before consultation etc? As a client I wouldn't want to hand over a deposit until I'd at least met you because it's very easy for you to say I would never con someone but if I don't know you how do I know you wouldn't because plenty would.

I know you said you have a look through other people's facebooks for ideas which is great, as well as looking for the good points think if there's anything you would ask as a client of booking that person, for example do they sculpt nails or use tips? What time do they work? If mobile what area do they cover? Then look at yours and see have you got answers to all those questions on yours?

I absolutely love your nails they look really nice. It might be an idea to look for a position in a salon even if it's employed that will help you build a client base and is guaranteed money and you might even get your love of the industry back xx

Right , I'll give that section an edit & be more precise about treatments I offer & what brands I use & why .

I usually offer the free consultation then if they wish to go ahead I proceed to take the deposit . I'll give more info on that too , maybe make an album with products I use , deposits , cancellations etc ?

I'm going to give it all a go one more time , I'm planning on getting a large window sticker for my boot to help promote my business a bit more for when my cars fixed in 2 weeks , do you think this is a good idea ?

Possibly offer party packages for children , discounts for OAP's , police etc

I'm getting married next year and were looking to move into a bigger home as just now all I've got is my living room / dining table for the hair fitting so I'm hoping I have a big enough garden to place a summer house in & get that all decorated so I can make it look homely & appealing to clients , that way if it's my garden , my kids can play outside were I can still see them , more of a professional look to my business if I have a set area for the treatments I do ...

Does all that sound ok ? X

I agree with what others have said re your FB page. It needs to be positive and professional. Don't let potential clients know you're struggling for appointments as they'll wonder why.
I've never heard of the gel polish either and when I had a look on their website they are selling cnd shellac kits and they aren't an authorised distributor. Their polish is the same shape etc as cnd, bluesky, elite etc.
I pay for advertising regularly on FB and it has really worked for me. Almost all of my business has been through FB and personal recommendation so ask clients if they mind sharing a pic and tagging your business in it.
I'm very close to you but I'm out in the sticks so people have to travel to get to me and they do, some a fair distance so hang in there and really market yourself.
Good luck

As I'm not qualified in beauty myself, I treated it as a potential customer and think you need to sell yourself a bit more, how many years you've been qualified, what your unique selling point is. Also the biggest thing that would turn me away from using you is the gel polish you use. It looks like a fake Shellac, especially with it being called CN. To me it would worry me about what other products you would use and how it could impact on me. Other than that your work looks really good. Try doing a Facebook ad, I ran one for my salon and the bookings I got were worth three times what I spent.

As I'm not qualified in beauty myself, I treated it as a potential customer and think you need to sell yourself a bit more, how many years you've been qualified, what your unique selling point is. Also the biggest thing that would turn me away from using you is the gel polish you use. It looks like a fake Shellac, especially with it being called CN. To me it would worry me about what other products you would use and how it could impact on me. Other than that your work looks really good. Try doing a Facebook ad, I ran one for my salon and the bookings I got were worth three times what I spent.

She has since had to change the way she puts her brand on polish & she had a clash with CND as its very similar , so now her new label on the bottles says classy nails .
I use NAIO acrylic system , tomorrow I'll be adding a few sentences into my about section on what products I use etc how many years I've been qualified & a few other pieces of information , I'm taking every ones comments on board & going to give it my best shot one more time & hopefully things start progressing :)

She has since had to change the way she puts her brand on polish & she had a clash with CND as its very similar , so now her new label on the bottles says classy nails .
I use NAIO acrylic system , tomorrow I'll be adding a few sentences into my about section on what products I use etc how many years I've been qualified & a few other pieces of information , I'm taking every ones comments on board & going to give it my best shot one more time & hopefully things start progressing :)

I really admire you for taking on everybody's comments. I always worry about giving out advice on here just in case it's taken the wrong way.

I wish you so much luck xxx

Definitely pay to boost pictures on your work on Facebook. Spend a little and keep an eye on how effective it is.

If you're ever in the edinburgh area please do grab a coffee with me. Due to partners job I've moved around and had to build my client base from scratch quite a few times now. I can usually get myself pretty busy within 6 months. Am happy to share everything I know.

Good luck xx

Good luck and well done for taking all criticism as constructive :) xx

Right , I'll give that section an edit & be more precise about treatments I offer & what brands I use & why .

I usually offer the free consultation then if they wish to go ahead I proceed to take the deposit . I'll give more info on that too , maybe make an album with products I use , deposits , cancellations etc ?

I'm going to give it all a go one more time , I'm planning on getting a large window sticker for my boot to help promote my business a bit more for when my cars fixed in 2 weeks , do you think this is a good idea ?

Possibly offer party packages for children , discounts for OAP's , police etc

I'm getting married next year and were looking to move into a bigger home as just now all I've got is my living room / dining table for the hair fitting so I'm hoping I have a big enough garden to place a summer house in & get that all decorated so I can make it look homely & appealing to clients , that way if it's my garden , my kids can play outside were I can still see them , more of a professional look to my business if I have a set area for the treatments I do ...

Does all that sound ok ? X

Yeah that all sounds great! There's so many people in the industry and for me I get a bit of anxiety so I'd rather only have to contact people for an appointment instead of having to ask loads of questions so if all the information isn't on the page I personally just move on and find someone else cause it's easier. Think about gettin loyalty cards that way people have to keep coming back to get a discount that should help with repeat custom. Always ask if they want to book their next appointment in before they leave and tell them when it will be due.
Definitely make your policy for deposits clear because if people think they need to hand over money before they've even met you that can put people off. Yeah definitely for the car sticker just always try and park your car where people can see it walking past if you hide it away in the back of a car park it's pointless also make sure your car it clean nothing worse than someone advertising a business on a car that looks like it's just been through a swamp.
Good luck to you I wish you all the best.
Well done for listening and taking on board everything that everyone's saying so many people would take it as an attack or get defensive but you can never stop learning and everyone just wants to help xx

Right I've managed to put more Info on my page , there's a part were its showing the same I think and I can't seem to remove it [emoji85][emoji23] can you go on to it & let me know if it's any better :) and anything I should add or remove x

That looks much better xx

Right I've managed to put more Info on my page , there's a part were its showing the same I think and I can't seem to remove it [emoji85][emoji23] can you go on to it & let me know if it's any better :) and anything I should add or remove x
Keep us updated with how you are doing :) x

Hi there!

First of all I love your pictures and I love the nail art!

Do you have a local Facebook page that you advertise on for your area or an Instagram account? That really works for me.

My clientele took off massively when I started doing gel nails for a lovely bunch of elderly ladies at warden assisted housing, a lady I know, her mum is in there and I was recommended that way but if you know of anywhere near you it may be worth popping in some flyers and advising of your discounted rates for oaps etc?

I do 7 nails in 1 day a week in there and have been recommended by them to their daughters & granddaughters etc!! I'm so busy I have to turn people down!

BUT I come across as a confident social butterfly, deep down I get nervous before every treatment and worry about what to say what happens if something goes wrong etc!

What I do is switch off and focus solely on them to forget my own anxieties, I ask them, are you comfortable? Your backs not hurting is it? How are the grandkids? I have so many diff clients I write down little bits along with their name so I remember their kids names etc! I genuinely care and I want to show that and for them to remember me!

Please don't give up just yet!

Hello, I hope you don't mind me asking but do you still charge the elderly ladies? I would love to volounteer at an old peoples home doing nails but am unfortunately not in the financial position at the moment to be offering free treatments as I am only just starting up my treatment room. You saying this about them recommending friends/family etc sounds perfect but was unsure about expecting them to pay. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thank you x

Hello, I hope you don't mind me asking but do you still charge the elderly ladies? I would love to volounteer at an old peoples home doing nails but am unfortunately not in the financial position at the moment to be offering free treatments as I am only just starting up my treatment room. You saying this about them recommending friends/family etc sounds perfect but was unsure about expecting them to pay. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thank you x
Hi there!

No problem :) I do charge, I charge £10 for hands and £10 for feet, I wouldn't feel okay with charging salon prices due to their situation but they all know how much gel costs in the salons so all take advantage of me when they can! They all understand that I still need to make a profit etc even if only small and nearly all of them tip me bless! It's also totally worth it with the recommendations that they make, they keep asking for vouchers but I haven't got round to that yet!

I'm very lucky, the care home is in the street next to me so I literally walk over with my case, I set up in the communal lounge and they all wait and take their turn! Haha I don't lose any petrol money etc but would still do it probably anyway!

I also do their waxing, I do lots of eyebrow tints, brow, lip & chin waxes and I charge £5 for each of these, its very niche, most warden assisted housing homes have a regular hairdresser and a chiropodist but that's it, I would recommend anyone to get involved, they are so grateful and love seeing how it all works nowadays, another tip if you are going to do it is get 2 lamps, I'm very quick with painting after doing so many sets and I can get a lot more residents done with 1 hand in each lamp :)

Anything else or any over questions let me know, it could really take off for you - just need to get in there! Maybe a half price day at first? Explain how gel works? Most of mine did know etc :) X

I have to say it could be the talking part...I alway think that it's all part of it ...having a chat and a laugh if clients have a fun time it's like going out!!! I understand the anxiety as my two children have it...but just work on that and smiles and just listen to what they have to say...that's always good....maybe don't apologise just try and start a conversation and you listen and smile lots... Compliment them eg you have lovely shiny hair what shampoo do you use??? Etc.....make it fun and chilled and they will be back I am sure x

Oh lovely please don't give up! I do think the issue maybe the lack of 'chatter'..... your work is lovely and unless the nails are lifting or not lasting I doubt it's the quality! My personal experience has taught me it can change!

I worked in a few salons when I started out and had quite the opposite issue I kept getting sacked for one reason only I talked AT clients /talked to much and asked intrusive questions I really didn't know that I was crossing a line I was young and thought everyone was my friend I was so enthusiastic I was like an over excited puppy! I only found out when I out right asked my boss (ex boss... This was after he sacked me) for his honest opinion was when I got told very bluntly.... "I love your work.... But clients don't like you" I cried the whole way home!

But I realised that after going on a few courses (confidence building / networking) I realised that I was doing it as I was socially awkward! I over compensated and scared the bloody crap out of people! Nowadays I'm self employed as I don't like being micro managed ( another thing I learnt) I take on board what I have learnt, I read lots of business books and tell myself to calm a lot sometimes you have to fake it to make it! And that's not me telling you to change at all it's asking you to look at other things you can do to build your social skills. Ask your husband about when you guys first met, talk to your sister.... Ask for honestly & get your friends on board....tell them that for every 3rd person they recommend to you you will do their nails for free ect for the first year. Can you attend one of your kids playgroups /parent class /groups /parents evening and flyer? And I would run a comp on Facebook I got 500 veiws in 1 day! (try a saturday or Sunday)
"Please like and share this post I will pick 3 winners at random for a free set of acrylic nails"

Please don't take this as me telling you to such eggs! Xx

But I had two options

Latest posts

Back