Glitter losing pigment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masooz

Reaction score
A weird one! I did a clients nails using gel polish topped with a rose gold nail glitter. When I had finished we noticed it had turned silver at the cuticle area. This happened before with her using another rose glitter. It has never happened before or with anyone else. Weird! Anyone know why this happens or how I can prevent this?

I've never had it with glitter but have with caviar beads. They were gold when I started and silver by the time I'd finished!
Strange it was only at the cuticle though. Was it definitely sealed with the top coat?

What brand glitter were you using?

Glitters that aren't designed for cosmetic use, such as general and craft glitter will usually do this.

They have a dyed coating that isn't solvent resistant, so are not compatible with nail products because the dye bleeds.

Always purchase from a reputable nail supplier and you should have no problems

Glitters that aren't designed for cosmetic use, such as general and craft glitter will usually do this.

They have a dyed coating that isn't solvent resistant, so are not compatible with nail products because the dye bleeds.

Always purchase from a reputable nail supplier and you should have no problems

I used Magpie glitter. So strange, definitely top coated properly and use good quality products. Never happened before or with other colours. Totally baffled!

I used Magpie glitter. So strange, definitely top coated properly and use good quality products. Never happened before or with other colours. Totally baffled!

That is strange then [emoji15]. I'm stumped

Odd! You didn't buff the nail after the glitter was applied? Are there damaged pieces in the pot? Did the colour change happen before or after top coat was applied?

That is strange then [emoji15]. I'm stumped
Its really bizarre. I am going to do a few swatches and see what happens! Perhaps just an odd anomaly! Come across those occasionally!

Odd! You didn't buff the nail after the glitter was applied? Are there damaged pieces in the pot? Did the colour change happen before or after top coat was applied?
It was after the top coat was cured, wiped and I put on hand cream, it then showed up! It happened with her last time between appts which I concluded was something abrasive that had caused it ( not using gloves when washing up etc)

S
It was after the top coat was cured, wiped and I put on hand cream, it then showed up! It happened with her last time between appts which I concluded was something abrasive that had caused it ( not using gloves when washing up etc)
Sorry didn't answer: No to all the above!

If it happened this time after applying TC and whilst still in the salon then the only thing could be that you have some faulty bits in the pot I guess. If she's damagin them at home however it might be a good idea to apply a clear colour coat over the glitter or two top coats.

If it happened this time after applying TC and whilst still in the salon then the only thing could be that you have some faulty bits in the pot I guess. If she's damagin them at home however it might be a good idea to apply a clear colour coat over the glitter or two top coats.
Yes. Good idea, will try that next time. I was totally baffled but good to know it's not normal! Just wanted to check. Luckily she likes the look!

Thank you everyone! Xx

This happened to me with my magpie glitter too. I assumed it was oil as that's where it was turning silver. It wasn't "Wendy" was it?

Did you double top coat it? The glitters need to be double top coated, if not the gel wipe off can take away the colour x

Latest posts

Back