Go mobile or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkBlonde

Reaction score
I have always wanted to go mobile, but have been waiting til I have had salon experience.

But I can't find any work at all in a salon! I have NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy. The treatments I am qualified for are are:

waxing (eyebrow, leg, bikini, lip, chin, underarm)
facial (cleanse, tone, moisturise, steam & extraction, mask, exfoliate, ect)
eye treatments (eyelash tint, eyelash perm, eyebrow tint)
makeup
manicure & pedicure (french, cuticle work, exfoliate, hot oil, paraffin wax)
nail art

I was wondering is this enough to start out?

And do I need salon experience? I know it would definately benefit me, but I just can't find any salon jobs! I have just started working at Salon Services so its a little step in the right direction. I am qualified for the above, have a lot of my own equipment and have been practicing on friends and family as much as I can. I would prefer to work in a salon at the moment, but I don't want to end up spending so long looking for a salon job that I forget things!

Also, would I get insurance without salon experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance xXx

I have always wanted to go mobile, but have been waiting til I have had salon experience.

But I can't find any work at all in a salon! I have NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy. The treatments I am qualified for are are:

waxing (eyebrow, leg, bikini, lip, chin, underarm)
facial (cleanse, tone, moisturise, steam & extraction, mask, exfoliate, ect)
eye treatments (eyelash tint, eyelash perm, eyebrow tint)
makeup
manicure & pedicure (french, cuticle work, exfoliate, hot oil, paraffin wax)
nail art

I was wondering is this enough to start out?

And do I need salon experience? I know it would definately benefit me, but I just can't find any salon jobs! I have just started working at Salon Services so its a little step in the right direction. I am qualified for the above, have a lot of my own equipment and have been practicing on friends and family as much as I can. I would prefer to work in a salon at the moment, but I don't want to end up spending so long looking for a salon job that I forget things!

Also, would I get insurance without salon experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance xXx

Going mobile is a good way to practise what you have learnt so far and to improve your skills, which will be benefical when it comes to working in a salon. It is also a good way of earning money while you look for a job.

A Level 2 qualification is enough to start out with but I would definitely recommend completing Level 3.

And yes, you would get insurance without salon experience.

I hope this helps.

Yer it did help! Thanks. I definately want to do level 3 and I'm hoping to do some courses through Salon Services, just want to pick up as much as I can really! I've noticed that not a lot of mobile therapists offer the electrical treatments covered in level 3. Is this because the equipment is difficult to move around?

Does anybody know roughly how much it costs to start up? I've not passed my driving test yet (lol) but am learning and have saved enough to get a car as soon as I pass, so I'm trying to get through my test asap, but I don't think I will have a lot of money left after I get my car.

Also, what legal aspects do I need to think about? I know I will need insurance, but not sure exactly what type. And also business insurance for my car, I think my mum might be able to help with bookkeeping ect.

What do I need to do in regards to tax and NI?

Yer it did help! Thanks. I definately want to do level 3 and I'm hoping to do some courses through Salon Services, just want to pick up as much as I can really! I've noticed that not a lot of mobile therapists offer the electrical treatments covered in level 3. Is this because the equipment is difficult to move around?

Does anybody know roughly how much it costs to start up? I've not passed my driving test yet (lol) but am learning and have saved enough to get a car as soon as I pass, so I'm trying to get through my test asap, but I don't think I will have a lot of money left after I get my car.

Also, what legal aspects do I need to think about? I know I will need insurance, but not sure exactly what type. And also business insurance for my car, I think my mum might be able to help with bookkeeping ect.

I don't offer electrical facial treatments because of the price of the equipment to purchase.

When you start up as a mobile beauty therapist, you don't have to offer every treatment that you have learned so far. If you are needing the money that you have saved up to go towards a car, I would recommend using what equipment and products you have to treat your family and friends, on clients. I haven't passed my driving test either, although I do have a car, but it's of no use to me without an experienced driver as a passenger, so I rely on my boyfriend and my Dad to take me to my appointments and pick me up after. It is handy because they can help me with my stuff as well. Maybe your Mum or someone who has a car wouldn't mind helping you out to start with? Or depending on the location of your client, get a bus or taxi. Although this is an extra cost to you, hopefully the total cost of the treatments will make it worth the journey. It's not the best siutation having to rely on others, but it won't be forever. If you start earning extra money now, it will be helpful for when you have to pay for the upkeep of your car and also so that you have more money to put back into your business so that you can offer all the treatments that you would like to.

The best people to talk to about tax and national insurance is the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Thanks I can't believe how helpful everyone is on here, I wish I had discovered this website earlier!

I have enough equipment and products at the min to do waxing, manicure, pedicure, eye treatments and a bit of nail art. The only thing I really need is a portable couch, trolley and a little stool or something, I think that should be enough to start.

I could do with a makeup set, if anyone can recommend a good one, I would love some advice on that.

The only thing that is concerning me is the legal side of it, making sure I have covered my back for absolutely everything, and building up clientelle.

Also, would it be enough fora basic facial just to do cleanse, tone, moisturise, exfoliation, mask and add a massage for a slightly more expensive facial?

I am qualified to do steam and extraction, but can't really afford a steamer at the min and I only did 1 assessment with extraction (about 2 years ago) so I wouldn't feel confident to do extractions on a client without some kind of refresher course.

Thanks I can't believe how helpful everyone is on here, I wish I had discovered this website earlier!

I have enough equipment and products at the min to do waxing, manicure, pedicure, eye treatments and a bit of nail art. The only thing I really need is a portable couch, trolley and a little stool or something, I think that should be enough to start.

I could do with a makeup set, if anyone can recommend a good one, I would love some advice on that.

The only thing that is concerning me is the legal side of it, making sure I have covered my back for absolutely everything, and building up clientelle.

Until you get a portable bed, manicures and pedicures would be good treatments to offer.

At the moment, is a makeup set a priority? How long do you think it will be before you will get your money back to cover the cost of the kit?

The legal side, all you have to do is:
* Make sure that you have insurance.
* Make sure that the job centre knows that you are self-employed as it may affect any benefits you get.
* Contact the Inland Revenue for information on tax and national insurance.

If mobile beauty therapy is something that you would like to do, it's best to start building up your clientelle as soon as possible. And word of mouth really is the best form of advertising. You may not be fully booked to start with but don't let this discourage you. It takes a lot of commitment and hard work so much sure that if you do go into this, it is something you really want to do.

Also, would it be enough fora basic facial just to do cleanse, tone, moisturise, exfoliation, mask and add a massage for a slightly more expensive facial?

I am qualified to do steam and extraction, but can't really afford a steamer at the min and I only did 1 assessment with extraction (about 2 years ago) so I wouldn't feel confident to do extractions on a client without some kind of refresher course.

The facials I offer are as follows:

EXPRESS FACIAL:
Facial cleanse, exfoliation, tone and moisturise.
ULIMATE FACIAL:
Facial cleanse, exfoliation, massage, mask, tone, eye contour gel and moisturise.

I don't have a steamer either and it is one less thing to take with you.

Thank you!

I wouldn't need a makeup kit right away, but I have been wondering, can you use any products or do you need trained for certain ones? I get so confused as some products you can just buy and use right away, but some products you need training with that brand.

I think I still need to do a bit more practice before Itake the plunge! But I want to plan ahead and get as much information as possible so I know what I'm doing when I do start out. I am quite confident in the treatments that I offer, I think I just need to perfect them (especially french tips!) and time myself so that I know how long I need to allow for each treatment.

Is second hand salon furniture worth considering? I've seen you can get quite cheap couches and stools on places like Ebay, obviously I would clean them before using them but would that be ok til I can afford better ones?

Also, when I am adding to my products do I need to be registered as a business before I can buy from trade only websites? I get most of my stuff from Salon Services at the min.

And can I use OPI nail polishes without being trained by OPI? (Hope I can I LOVE OPI!)

xXx

Hey, dont want to feel like im taking over the thread, but i thought it was better to post it in here cos its sort of related. Im in the middle of setting up mobile too. And have just come round to the inland revenue bit :( boo!! do i just need to declare myself self employed? and they sort out the rest?

Also, ill still be working part time as a sales assisstant too, the inland revenue will already know this wont they when sorting out national insurance and so on? ..

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Jodie

x

all you need to do is notify the tax office you will then get sent self assessment details which you can either do online or paper either way you will need to declare in your self assessment any paid work that you do and the tax you pay with your self employed earnings will be adjusted accordingly.
Mobile or salon either way is ok but i do recommend to my students to try and get salon work first and then complete level 3 alongside working in a salon (this is a tutor/lecturer and salon owner point of view) even if it is only a few days. If this really isn't an option call in to your local parent and toddler group and offer pedicures, manicures eyebrow shaping etc this helps to keep your hand in and earn a bit money at the same time and possibly new clients
Hth

all you need to do is notify the tax office you will then get sent self assessment details which you can either do online or paper either way you will need to declare in your self assessment any paid work that you do and the tax you pay with your self employed earnings will be adjusted accordingly.
Mobile or salon either way is ok but i do recommend to my students to try and get salon work first and then complete level 3 alongside working in a salon (this is a tutor/lecturer and salon owner point of view) even if it is only a few days. If this really isn't an option call in to your local parent and toddler group and offer pedicures, manicures eyebrow shaping etc this helps to keep your hand in and earn a bit money at the same time and possibly new clients
Hth

Thanks very much for that teaze :) luckily i did salon work for 2years .. so iv got a bit of experience there. and is BTEC National Diploma in Beauty Therapy Sciences level 3? ..

x x

i cant believe how helpful people are on here too! its good that we can all pull together and help each other out! i have done mobile and salon work and love them both! yes you can get opi from sallys salon services! and with make up it depends on how much you wanted to spend on a kit! i use mac cosmetics on my clients! i agree with ambience the best way to build up clientelle is by word of mouth xoxo

Im a hair geek, but im mobile, I haven't had much salon experience. I feel doing mobile helps more as i have nobody to ask, in college the tutors were there to give support and guidance. After that i had to use my own judgement and to start with i was a little worried but i am yet to fail my clients. If you listen to them and apply all the knowledge you have in that particular area you cannot fail, Shop around the internet for liability insurance quotes to find the best deals that cover even things you may not have thought about for example any equipment getting damaged lost or stolen. I called on the help of my uncle who had set up his own business a while back and he helped me with drawing up business plans and registering as a small business. The freedom you get with freelance work is great and the rapport you have with clients is amazing, I have some lovely clients that feel more like family now! Hope it all goes well for you its an excellent way to gain experience in situations you may not find yourself in when working in a salon.

just a thought.. dont think youve said... do you have the option to work from home? would save you alot of expense on travel especially as you dont drive yet.

just a thought.. dont think youve said... do you have the option to work from home? would save you alot of expense on travel especially as you dont drive yet.

I did look into that, but my mam said there's something in either the deeds or mortgage agreement that says I con't set up a business at my house. There are a few self employed people in my area, but I'm guessing it means a business that would bring customers, e.g. salon, shop.

Also thinking of setting up selling customised t-shirts, can't decide!! Lol :D

Hey, dont want to feel like im taking over the thread, but i thought it was better to post it in here cos its sort of related. Im in the middle of setting up mobile too. And have just come round to the inland revenue bit :( boo!! do i just need to declare myself self employed? and they sort out the rest?

Also, ill still be working part time as a sales assisstant too, the inland revenue will already know this wont they when sorting out national insurance and so on? ..

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Jodie

x
Ive declared myself as self empolyed as I'm mobile and also have a part time job. When i declared myself as self employed the tax office sent me a form to fill in so i dont need to pay NI on earnings from my bussiness, the form is called @Application for exception from liability for class 2 contributions' its for small earnings as I am only doing this part time aswell as Ive young kids.

So hope this helps.

You will need Public, Product and Treatment liability cover to perform your treatments. The Guild can offer £2 million worth of cover, which you can use when working mobile, at home or in a salon. You can find out more or join at Beauty Guild : Home - Beauty Guild or by calling 0845 2177383. If you quote Geek when joining you will get a £10 discount.

You may also want to look at covering your stock and equipment.

Talk to your car insurance company once you get driving and they should be able to tell you what cover you need. It may be that they cover you for items in your car up to a certain value.

Ive declared myself as self empolyed as I'm mobile and also have a part time job. When i declared myself as self employed the tax office sent me a form to fill in so i dont need to pay NI on earnings from my bussiness, the form is called @Application for exception from liability for class 2 contributions' its for small earnings as I am only doing this part time aswell as Ive young kids.

So hope this helps.

It certainly does help!! Thank you very much Alyson :) x

Thank you everyonefor the help! :D

xxXxx

Latest posts

Back