Going back to hairdressing but self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanSmith

Reaction score
Hi I'm new and looking for some advice. I am a fully qualified hairdresser with loads of skill knowledge and experience but I have been out of hairdressing, this time, for only a year due to the last salon closing down. I am currently working in retail and hate it so much. I am in the process of going back to hairdressing, I have trade test next week, this is for full time employed position in a salon. But I have been thinking about going self employed and renting a chair. I wanted to get some advice from the experts on this. Do you think it is doable? what should I look out for if I am going to seriously do it? what are my options and the pros and cons? any advice would be great thanks you so much. :)

Hi I'm new and looking for some advice. I am a fully qualified hairdresser with loads of skill knowledge and experience but I have been out of hairdressing, this time, for only a year due to the last salon closing down. I am currently working in retail and hate it so much. I am in the process of going back to hairdressing, I have trade test next week, this is for full time employed position in a salon. But I have been thinking about going self employed and renting a chair. I wanted to get some advice from the experts on this. Do you think it is doable? what should I look out for if I am going to seriously do it? what are my options and the pros and cons? any advice would be great thanks you so much. :)

I was mobile in my village and have gone rent a chair in a town centre so am basically starting again. It's slow on days then you get a rush, it is definitely doable. Xoxo

Hi, to start with a decent sized clientele helps. If you don't have one I'd either work employed and build one up or work on a percentage basis so you pay a percentage of what you take. I've been self employed for 8 years and love it. You pay rent, find out what that covers, and you keep the rest to pay your wage, tax and expenses not covered in rent. You need to be earning enough for it to be worth it and allow for holidays and sick where you should still be paying rent but not taking anything. Best of all though, you are your own boss!

Latest posts

Back