Going barefoot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

body talk

Tinkerbell
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on here so I hope I'm in the right section! I run my own massage therapy business and usually wear shoes for work - but I think I'd prefer to have some kind of massage therapy slipper or sock (or even barefoot?) to work in, so it's more comfortable for me and quieter for the client. I've come on here to ask if anyone else prefers to go without shoes while working in the salon and if so, is there some kind of slipper/sock for massage therapists that anyone knows of? Thanks!

I always massage with my shoes off I feel as though I'm more grounded during the massage, i usually remove them just before the massage and put them back on before I leave the room [emoji3]

Hi Joely and thanks for your reply. I could put shoes on and off when going in and out the treatment room, but I'm more looking for something that acts as a barefoot/slipper and can be worn all day until the working day is done and I'm going home then I'd change into my outdoor shoes again. In any case, it's good to know there's other therapists out there who prefer no shoes on when massaging, so thanks for that.

I don't do massage so this is only from what I've seen, but my osteopath wears a sort of sock.. Made out of what looks like wetsuit material?! He's totally into full body health and posture, and always wears them wear treating clients. He says they feel like going barefoot, but obviously feet aren't exposed. Look a bit silly but clearly they work!

Hi Joely and thanks for your reply. I could put shoes on and off when going in and out the treatment room, but I'm more looking for something that acts as a barefoot/slipper and can be worn all day until the working day is done and I'm going home then I'd change into my outdoor shoes again. In any case, it's good to know there's other therapists out there who prefer no shoes on when massaging, so thanks for that.

Aaah I see, I hope your able to find something [emoji3] good luck

We have to wear shoes. Going barefoot is against occupational health and safety regulations. We just wear a flat shoe. The relaxing music covers up the sounds from the shoes

I used to go barefoot when I worked in a spa, much preferred it x

I wear fit flops all day but slip them off when I massage so I always massage bare foot. It's interesting to see how many of us do this. I slip my flops back on right at the end. My daughter wears her fit flops for about half an hour then spends the rest of the day barefoot!

Make sure it's something you want to wear and are comfortable in. I would think the slipper type socks would work .

Vic x

I wonder, for beauty treatments, if clients would find it acceptable for us to wear slipper socks? I love my fit flops but I'm a barefoot type of person. I'd love to wear my slipper socks at work but I'm just not sure how clients would react :/ would they be OK with it or would they think it's "cheap" in a word....

I slip my fit flops off during facials (I don't do massage) and slip them back on before leaving. Clients never know and I prefer massaging barefoot as I feel more grounded.

With elemis you are trained to work with no shoes...or at least that's the way I was trained a few yrs ago!

Thanks everyone for your replies and thanks to Makkena for the link - very helpful. Jen - I used just ordinary socks today and it seemed to go down well - one client commented on it giving the massage a more 'grounded' feel. Personally it felt better for me barefoot, but I think the salon floor can now do with a rug for when I'm moving around the plinth! I will look more into the flip flop idea and that funny looking sock from the link, thanks.

Purely from a client perspective, whatever enables the therapist to be comfortable and better able to deliver a fab massage is fine by me. I couldn't even tell you what people have had on their feet when I've gone for massages, I just can't wait to leap on their table lol

I used to work in a day spa and we were required to work barefoot we had heated floors, the spa was in the middle of the countryside so it had that back to nature feel, I really liked it just had to make sure my toe nails were always nicely polished

Latest posts

Back