Going mobile, few questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginahhrose

Reaction score
Hi, I've been thinking this week about going mobile. I'm in a salon ATM and I hate it, ime already self employed with a good client base . A few of my clients have suggested going mobile as they can see how much I hate it here and there all up for it.

Just wanted to ask a few questions or if anyone could pm me I'd appreciate it.

Does it work out cheaper than renting a space?
What type of car is good for space/fitting things in? Not passed my text yet but hopefully will in the next month.
How much time would you leave between clients for packing up, setting up and travel?
How do you work out how much petrol you'll be using?
Do you need a differant type of car insurance?
How do you store all your products and stop things like shellac getting to warm in your car?
What do you do in bad weather, like snow were it might not be possible to drive?
How do you stay safe, especially with going to new clients, letting people know we're you are, late nights?
We're do you store stuff when it's not been using, like a beauty bed that you might not need for a few days?

Think that's all I can think of at the minute, really appreciate some help! Xxx

Hi, I've been thinking this week about going mobile. I'm in a salon ATM and I hate it, ime already self employed with a good client base . A few of my clients have suggested going mobile as they can see how much I hate it here and there all up for it.

What type of car is good for space/fitting things in? Not passed my text yet but hopefully will in the next month.
How much time would you leave between clients for packing up, setting up and travel?
How do you store all your products and stop things like shellac getting to warm in your car?
What do you do in bad weather, like snow were it might not be possible to drive?
How do you stay safe, especially with going to new clients, letting people know we're you are, late nights?
We're do you store stuff when it's not been using, like a beauty bed that you might not need for a few days?

Ok, thought id answer a few questions that i could.

Try arrive a few minutes before the appointment if you have a lot to set up, obviously depends where your next client is,w ork it out on a sat nav or google maps then add a little bit more time in between clients so your not rushing.
I travel for free within a certain mile radius ( 8miles from my house) then charge extra 50p per mile
You will need to mark business on your car insurance
Lots of plastic boxes with lids on is your best bet when traveling crammed full so the contents don't move about too much
Text boyfriend/ dad/ friend the address of each client your going to see and what time you should be done, then text them When your out so they know your safe. Maybe check out the house n the area for parking etc before the appointment if u can

Hope some of his helps, and good luck to you :)

Probably, I guess petrol goes in place of your rent, I spend about £120 a month on deisel

Depends what treatments you're doing, I've got a bmw 1 series which is quite spacy in the boot but I used to have a 2 seater convertible which could still fit massage bed and everything else in

Depends how far away they are. I allow an extra 15mins for packing and stuff, travel depends on the next area you need to be in and the time of day for school runs

I put all my petrol through my books and my accountant takes of 20% for personal use and puts the rest through as business. Apart from if I know I'm not working the weekend etc I don't put those receipts in.

I have business car insurance, was about 40 quid more a year than normal

I just leave all my stuff in the car for the day but don't take anything I don't need for the day. Unfortunately if it's hot or cold there's not much you can do!

If it snows and you can't get out then tough for clients, your safety comes first

Let someone know if it's a new client and a rough time you will be finished. I normally only go to recommendations so feel a bit safer.

I have a spare room in my house where keep things

Hope that helps!!!!
Xxx

Mobile isn't for the faint hearted :D. I was mobile for a year before I opened my home salon, hats off to those who do mobile all the time. I'll try help best I can from my own experience :hug:

I would say yes, your overheads; car insurance and petrol/diesel should be a lot less than your rental (obviously depending on the cost of your rent). Just remember to bear in mind up keep of your car and general wear and tear.

I've used a Fiat Punto, briefly a Cinquecento (not advised haha) and a Citroen Picasso. Remember that if you are leaving anything in your car you want it out of sight in a boot and make sure your insurance covers your for theft of products and equipment in your car that actually covers you for the actual cost of what you have.

It depends on your distance between clients. Try and organise your diary so that when clients book in, the next appointment isn't way over across the other side of town- time is money. This will be more important the busier you get. When I was mobile, I kept to a strict area.

Keep petrol receipts and mark down at the start of your journey in a little note book your mileage on your car from the start of your appointment to the end or throughout your day. Create a spread sheet at home and record your details in there. Have a look on the HMRC website for details of claiming mileage or like a few others have mentioned, get an accountant to help you with this along with the rest of your books.

Business insurance. If at some point you wish to advertise on your car with signage, ask your insurer if you would be subject to a slightly higher premium.

I used to have beauty box on wheels, so all my products came in to someone's house with me anyway.

This is part and parcel of mobile work unfortunately, similarly to when clients can't get to your salon. Call clients as soon as possible, keep an eye on the weather and notify and rebook as soon as possible.

Always book your clients over the phone first. I avoid ever booking anyone just through email or Facebook, sometimes rightly or wrongly, you can get the feel for a client speaking to them first. Leave a list of names and addresses and appointment times with a friend or family member so they know where you are and have been that day. If you feel particularly concerned you could always let your client know, discreetly, that you are just going to call person X to let them know you have arrived. You don't have to create a big song and dance, but it just warns (should you get any unsavoury folk- which is rare) that someone knows your whereabouts. Also if you an unsure about a particular property, leave all your stuff in the car, go knock on the door to let them know you have arrived, and if for any reasons you feel uncomfortable all you have to worry about is getting yourself safely back to your car, swiftly.

I just used to store in my bedroom at home. Don't leave anything in your car overnight just in case, even if it is out of sight.

HTH and good luck with your new venture. xxx

I would say yes but as said above take into consideration petrol, loosing money by travelling, advertising etc.

I have just upgraded to a bigger car, started with a ford fiesta, I've now got a ford grand C Max, absolutely fantastic for space as all 5 seats in the back lie down completely flat so it's like a small can.
Tinted windows are a good idea as it helps to hide equipment in your car when your at an appointment and not using it all.

I leave between 15&30 minutes travelling time between appointments and try to group different areas together.

Pretty impossible, I fill up my tank on average once a week, I charge after 8 miles £1 per mile travelling charge. You must make sure if your going further afield you take into account charging for the time it takes you to travel no just the petrol it costs you.

You'll need to upgrade to business insurance- usually this doesn't cost any if much more.

I have lots of small bags an rucksacks to keep all my things in. Rucksacks make everything so much easier to carry.

Depending on how bad, put all your stuff in a shopping Trolly and walk... Just kidding, I cancel in extream conditions an give then the option to come to me instead. No amount of money is worth potentially risking your life and if you write off you car I bet it'll cost you more than what the appointments made you. Always save a bit of money for rainy days ;)

I use an app called ovatu to book all my appointments which is synced to my home PC, my mums tablet & my boyfriends phone. They know where I am at all times this way.

I have a spare room so put it in there however usually keep all my stuff like that in my car.

Being mobile is very hard work but also very rewarding. It's hard when u get list/can find the house/ get stuck in traffic etc so always make sure you take a telephone number. Also hands free is good so you can drive an talk at the same time especially if your lost an they are directing you.

Any more questions let me know, have been mobile for 3 years now so have pretty much worked things down to a fine art lol!

Ohh also I keep invoices an copies of my T&Cs in my car so if I get to an appointment I fill out the invoice an post it and a copy of my T&Cs through their door.

Start as you mean to go on. Cannot stress this enough. Enforce cancellation an no show fees from the very start it'll stop the time wasters and it's graded to enforce these when you see clients as friends.

Don't allow people to mess you around either the amount if times people think your mobile cus you having nothing better to do is unbelievable. So stay firm for the start.

Xxxxx

Being mobile is very hard work but also very rewarding. It's hard when u get list/can find the house/ get stuck in traffic etc so always make sure you take a telephone number. Also hands free is good so you can drive an talk at the same time especially if your lost an they are directing you.

Any more questions let me know, have been mobile for 3 years now so have pretty much worked things down to a fine art lol!

Ohh also I keep invoices an copies of my T&Cs in my car so if I get to an appointment I fill out the invoice an post it and a copy of my T&Cs through their door.

Start as you mean to go on. Cannot stress this enough. Enforce cancellation an no show fees from the very start it'll stop the time wasters and it's graded to enforce these when you see clients as friends.

Don't allow people to mess you around either the amount if times people think your mobile cus you having nothing better to do is unbelievable. So stay firm for the start.

Xxxxx

hiya, i started out mobile a few months ago, do you mind me asking what sort of things are on t&cs? I hadn't thought of this, when i book someone i confirm by text the day before that they are still ok for appointment but a lot of my clients so far have been people i know/know of. X

Give me an hour an ill get my laptop out an PM you a copy of them :) xxxx

I love this topic as I too am going mobile soon and these are things I've been stuck on too. In regards to the products getting warm I've been told by biosculpture to buy their product bag (it's insulated) and put a fridge cool pack in it when it's hot weather.
:) x

Thankyou!

Would anyone recommended getting a car on finance? I can get a good deal on quiet a few as my boyfriend sells them, would this be better than buying if ime going mobile? Xx

I don't think it really affects being mobile, depends on your finances. Personally I am not a fan and would never in a million years finance a car, but that's just me! Most people do finance. But you do end up paying so much more so if you can buy outright you would save some money and relieve the pressure on monthly oayments

Thanks, just thinking as it's my first car I won't be able to afford to buy something really decent as I want the security of if it does break down or need anything, being on finance it would all get sorted. Been looking with my boyfriend and he can get me like £100s knocked of with his discount at work, think I might have just answered my own question! Xx

My cars finance dead easy as any problems I can take it straight back to the dealership for them to fix. I personally find finance a lot easier my car was 20k so no way could I afford to pay that outright so finance was the only option an I'm so used to it that I don't really miss it anymore :) xxxx

I had a car on finance before... It was all good till I lost my job and couldn't afford it! when I came to give it back they added on all these charges for tiny scratches etc it was a bit if a nightmare to be honest!
If your gonna get one make sure you can definitely pay it long term- I wouldn't rule it out again in the future despite all my issues but I would think carefully!

Not to be negative but you've got to think- What if you were to become injured or ill or something and couldn't work anymore?
Or if business went really quiet?
Do you have a contingency plan?

When just starting out i wouldnt get a car on finance. What if business isnt as good as you thought and your gonna struggle with payments. Just get a tun around for now until youve done the mobile business for a while and see how it pans out xx

I can definitely pay it long term, I've always got money saved up,and i can get a decent one for £100 a month with a tiny deposit, and looking at what I've earned since I started I've always made enough to pay for a car. Worried if I get a little run around it won't fit anything or might break down then ime stuck! Xx

When just starting out i wouldnt get a car on finance. What if business isnt as good as you thought and your gonna struggle with payments. Just get a tun around for now until youve done the mobile business for a while and see how it pans out xx

I agree ... Even tho you can offset car & ins etc to your accounts being a new driver the insurance will be costly anyway - never mind the fact it will cost you slightly more as you will need business insurance and be driving more miles, petrol etc ... Something to consider as a new driver ... !!!
Also snow (although we don't have it often) it does affects our apts - (as it would be in a salon with clients cancelling as they can't get to you) - I have had to canx many during these times / last year a whole week worth of apts (twice) ....
... you can't do as many mobile as salon based due to getting to and from apts setting up etc ... and clients full attention at their house (lol - My car previous was a ford puma ( and was packed with my stuff i even had to use back seats as boot was of a normal small car size etc .. (I now have a zafira for the boot space - to get my beauty couch in the boot)
Then consider if you do use your back seats leaving your things on show outside someone's house while doing apts (if you have a small car - and varied treatments for the day) ... !!!
If its a quiet week iv got no rent etc so less stressful on my finances I just need to worry about my mortgage not rent of a salon as well ... And I'm not stuck sitting around in a salon waiting for phone to ring ppl coming in as you need to be there ... I can go to gym be at home etc etc...
Some things to consider on both sides of the coin I think - as there are pro / cons which you need to suit your needs really ... Xxxx

... And to answer where I keep my things when I'm not working / I uses spare room which I use as a home based salon and my garage ... But When I lived with parents my bedroom & spare room was packed with my beauty stuff as you can't leave it in the car ... Xxxx

I can definitely pay it long term, I've always got money saved up,and i can get a decent one for £100 a month with a tiny deposit, and looking at what I've earned since I started I've always made enough to pay for a car. Worried if I get a little run around it won't fit anything or might break down then ime stuck! Xx

Yes but uve never been mobike before and might lose some clients also its not guaranteed money. Id seriously consider just gettig a decent run around (£1000-£2000 if u say uve got money and uve not done your test yet) and im sure you wouldnt get a rubbish one that would break down and just coz yoir buying one doesnt mean u buy a small one

I'm interested in all this too as also going mobile. So apart from travelling time how much time is needed for packing at start and end of appointment? X

I'm interested in all this too as also going mobile. So apart from travelling time how much time is needed for packing at start and end of appointment? X

How long is a piece of string? It depends on how organized you are, and how co operative the client is. I usually add an extra 20 minutes to each appointment time, this is to set up, clear away, take payment & re-load the car. Some clients seem to think you have all day to wait for them to find their purse/put the chairs back etc. You need to be disciplined with yourself & your timings once you get busy. Hth

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back