Going Mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbad

Reaction score
Hi all

I was just wondering how hard people have found it to go mobile.

This is my last year at college and seem to be ahead so my tutor has said providing I get my colours right I could be signed of by March.

So this is the year I really need to crack on with deciding what to do.

I would not mind going mobile but really need some fors and againsts.

Thanks x

hi
i wouldn't do it personally just after qualifying!
are you gonna of done your level 3 coz you really need that, defo for working on your own,
alot can go wrong with colours and stuff and even now i like to get 2nd opinions on things after 9 years hairdressing,
i think it would be better for you to get some experience in a salon first and maybe build a client base whilst doing so..
it has took me 2 years and alot of long hours and hard work to get a decent enough size client base to make me financially comfortable.

HTH xx

hi
i wouldn't do it personally just after qualifying!
are you gonna of done your level 3 coz you really need that, defo for working on your own,
alot can go wrong with colours and stuff and even now i like to get 2nd opinions on things after 9 years hairdressing,
i think it would be better for you to get some experience in a salon first and maybe build a client base whilst doing so..
it has took me 2 years and alot of long hours and hard work to get a decent enough size client base to make me financially comfortable.

HTH xx

Hi

I understand what you are saying and I do agree. The only trouble I can see is that there are no hairdressing jobs out there. Most of the salons are filled and they continue to keep their apprentiships on. And their are over 100 students in my area that will trying to get the 1 or 2 jobs in our area.

I really do not know what else to do as I do not want to waste 2 years at college to do nothing.

After college I will be still be doing colour course and such other ones that are available. I.e sallys and other such places.

I was even looking into rent a chair but you still need a client base. x

maybe you could volenteer then for one or days a week to get experience?? i know its crap not getting paid but be worth it.

xx

maybe you could volenteer then for one or days a week to get experience?? i know its crap not getting paid but be worth it.

xx

Hi

I do I currently go into a couple of salons and help out which is good I just wish I could do more. I also have a couple of people who I do cut and colour there hair. And I do family which is good as they are my little practice heads lol. x

yeah thats what you need. my mum is fab she has let me do everything to hers, you need to just do hair all the time, evry weekend get as many people together and colour, blow wave cut ect...
and try to experiment too,
xx

yeah thats what you need. my mum is fab she has let me do everything to hers, you need to just do hair all the time, evry weekend get as many people together and colour, blow wave cut ect...
and try to experiment too,
xx

Thanks for your advice. I am just starting to panic and worry that I will end up having to get a job in something I dont want to do because I have no work in hairdressing x

Surely it's just as difficult to start off as a mobile with no client base? I would say compete for those two salon jobs and get into a salon any way you can, especially if you are college trained, as you will benefit a huge amount from working with experienced stylists.

Surely it's just as difficult to start off as a mobile with no client base? I would say compete for those two salon jobs and get into a salon any way you can, especially if you are college trained, as you will benefit a huge amount from working with experienced stylists.

Hi

I would advertise in local papers and hand flyers out to try to see if i can get any work. Im thinking more if I can not get in to a salon going mobile is the only thing that I could do. I will do extra colouring courses and correction courses I will do anything that is going to help me in the long run.
But as I stated so many students so little jobs I dont stand a chance really. x

I know its difficult at the moment, cast your net wide and don't give up. Send a CV to every salon in a radius around you, follow it with a phone call, ask if you can leave your number in case they need sickness cover at short notice.
The youngsters that are turning salon owners off at the moment are the ones that still feel they can dictate the hours they want to work and the salary they will get out of bed for. Someone who is super keen and realistic will still do ok. Make sure you look the part too.

I know its difficult at the moment, cast your net wide and don't give up. Send a CV to every salon in a radius around you, follow it with a phone call, ask if you can leave your number in case they need sickness cover at short notice.
The youngsters that are turning salon owners off at the moment are the ones that still feel they can dictate the hours they want to work and the salary they will get out of bed for. Someone who is super keen and realistic will still do ok. Make sure you look the part too.

Thank you for all your advice x

Hi

But as I stated so many students so little jobs I dont stand a chance really. x

Ok, got my mother head on, YOU STOP THAT RIGHT NOW MISSY:smack:
You are going to be signed of in March, ahead of the other students, because you are ahead of them. Is that because you are slow? or because you don't work hard?
Em, NO!!! It's because you are the best in your class.
That means you stand the best chance.
So, you ask your tutor if she will write you a referance, you brush up your C.V. and you write a nice covering letter to each and every hairdresser in your area, that would be up to ten miles away, and you do it now. Becasue that way you will stay ahead of your class.
Hair dressers will be impressed by your, get at it. attitude, and the tutors referance, oh and while you're at it, get the people who's hair you have worked on to also write you a referance, how pleased they are with their hair and what a great person you are, that's just as important.
Back to your question on the pros and cons of being mobile.
Cons first.
You have to sort out your own tax and N.I.
You pay your projected tax 6 months in advance.
You can't earn while you are traveling to and from clients.
It can be a very lonely way to work, no one to talk over any problems with etc.
No work, no money.
A car is a must.
Cars can be expensive to keep on the road and always seem to need work when you have no spare money:irked:
Your safety should always be at the top of your list when visiting a new client. Not trying to worry you but there are some truly strange people out there.
Pros next.
You are your own boss.
Your overheads are much lower then having a salon.
Self employed N.I. is much less.
You choose what training to take and when.
You can sack a client:lol:
Provided you are good with your money, save what you should, keep on top of the paper work, the profit is far higher.
My honest opinion though is that you should try for a salon to start with.
When I started out with nails I did holiday cover at a local nail bar and the tips and tricks of the trade that I learned from the other girls were beyond price.
Good luck with it all hun and let us know how you get on:hug:

Ok, got my mother head on, YOU STOP THAT RIGHT NOW MISSY:smack:
You are going to be signed of in March, ahead of the other students, because you are ahead of them. Is that because you are slow? or because you don't work hard?
Em, NO!!! It's because you are the best in your class.
That means you stand the best chance.
So, you ask your tutor if she will write you a referance, you brush up your C.V. and you write a nice covering letter to each and every hairdresser in your area, that would be up to ten miles away, and you do it now. Becasue that way you will stay ahead of your class.
Hair dressers will be impressed by your, get at it. attitude, and the tutors referance, oh and while you're at it, get the people who's hair you have worked on to also write you a referance, how pleased they are with their hair and what a great person you are, that's just as important.
Back to your question on the pros and cons of being mobile.
Cons first.
You have to sort out your own tax and N.I.
You pay your projected tax 6 months in advance.
You can't earn while you are traveling to and from clients.
It can be a very lonely way to work, no one to talk over any problems with etc.
No work, no money.
A car is a must.
Cars can be expensive to keep on the road and always seem to need work when you have no spare money:irked:
Your safety should always be at the top of your list when visiting a new client. Not trying to worry you but there are some truly strange people out there.
Pros next.
You are your own boss.
Your overheads are much lower then having a salon.
Self employed N.I. is much less.
You choose what training to take and when.
You can sack a client:lol:
Provided you are good with your money, save what you should, keep on top of the paper work, the profit is far higher.
My honest opinion though is that you should try for a salon to start with.
When I started out with nails I did holiday cover at a local nail bar and the tips and tricks of the trade that I learned from the other girls were beyond price.
Good luck with it all hun and let us know how you get on:hug:

Hi

Thank you for that advice and I will take it on board.
I will keep you posted on what happens.
Thanks once again x

Personally I would get some salon experience before going mobile.
Keep trying salons send your cv in to them all!! Go ina nd speak to them.

You need to have a fairly decent client base beforehand really.

Thanks for all your advice. The only thing I worry about is if i dont manage to get a job I dont want to be wasting time trying to get a job in a salon for months with out doing anything else.

I dont know what to do then any ideas?????

Thank x

It doesnt have to be one or the other. Do both. You will not be so busy doing mobile that you have no time to job search. Do unpaid work experience in a salon (how I got my first job 25 years ago, nothing changes!) and fit in any mobile clients in the evenings to keep you afloat financially.
What concerns me more is your "Ican't get a job" attitude. If you truly beleived that there is no salon work, then why do you think that there will be mobile work?
You really will benefit from working alongside more experienced hairdressers, courses are fine but they cannot teach you the finer points of hairdressing in the way that a top stylist can.
There are salons in every area that lean towards younger, newly qualified stylists. Use the fantastic advice you have been given on this thread by people who have been in exactly the same position as you. Go get em!!

I do unpaid work in a salon and have gained so much out of it, i have my own column and a poster is on the salon window advertising models and i must say from 9 am till 4 i am pretty much booked, this was done through asking tutors at college if they knew anyone that i could work for for free, and it ended up being a tutors salon that i work in...
ask tutors at college if they know salon owners
work for free
walk into salons and ask them...tell them you are willing to do anything..becasue you will learn so much from watching and getting involved with the running of the salon which will help you when you go mobile.

I do do voluntary work in salons now. However they dont allow me to touch anyones hair. And when it is model night only their apprentiship girl is allowed to do any work on the models I am only allowed to wash hair, make tea sweep floors and wash towels. Get everyones dinner that sort of thing.

I have written to more salons and this week I will go into a couple of salons to see if they will allow me to work along side them.

Thanks again for all your advice. x

Latest posts

Back