Going self employed-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannah_899

Reaction score
Hi ladies!!
Basically, I'm employed at the moment and have been for a year doing nails and beauty.
My boss has decided she no longer wants to keep us employed due to family reasons and we go self employed and rent tables off her, so she'd be our landlord rather than employer.
There's 8 of us employed, and we have till the 1st June to do this.
I literally have no idea how to go about this, I've never been self employed. And I have no savings to buy all my products in.
Is there any type of grants to just help you on your way for products? And would anyone know how this would affect my tax credits? (I'm a single mum of 2 and work 16 hours)
And also is £35 a day rent good/ bad?
And advice would be brilliant as I haven't got the first clue about this. Thank you xxx

I'm sure others will fill you in on the details but I just wanted to see she can't force you to go self-employed just because it suits her.

That's what we all thought but apparently she said she's spoken to 3 different solicitors and it's all above board. But I suppose if she closes the business then there's nothing we can do?

Try phoning acas, I don't have the number to hand but they are very helpful x

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance? They often have a legal helpline.

I can't see why she went to three lawyers. Lawyers aren't cheap.

What will happen if you say no to going self employed?
She can't make you resign.
Is she trying to avoid making you redundant and paying out?
It takes about 3 months to make a member of staff redundant. There are specific Legal steps to go through.

Visit your nearest Citizens Advice as they'll be able to offer basic employment advice plus advice about welfare benefits and how the available options could impact on you as a single parent.

That's what we all thought but apparently she said she's spoken to 3 different solicitors and it's all above board. ...
Lol. That's like Little Red Riding Hood asking the wolf if it's safe to walk in the woods. :eek::cool:

If she closes the business, you may still be entitled to a redundancy payment through the government but she has to declare that she's ceased trading, which presumably, she's doesn't want to do.

As a group, you're in a reasonable negotiating position to argue for a lower daily rent if you decide to stay.

Visit your nearest Citizens Advice as they'll be able to offer basic employment advice plus advice about welfare benefits and how the available options could impact on you as a single parent.

Lol. That's like Little Red Riding Hood asking the wolf if it's safe to walk in the woods. :eek::cool:

If she closes the business, you may still be entitled to a redundancy payment through the government but she has to declare that she's ceased trading, which presumably, she's doesn't want to do.

As a group, you're in a reasonable negotiating position to argue for a lower daily rent if you decide to stay.

Thank you so much for all your advice. So the update is we had another meeting and literally piled in all the information we had been given. There going to look in to redundancy but instead of paying cash give us the amount in products cause she owns a distribution aswell. Which doesn't involve me cause I've only been employed for 1 year. So I think she's going to do our account on tick for me and another girl who's under the 2 year make to give us a head start. But we did have letters yesterday for voluntary redundancy? This is all so confusing for me lol xx

Thank you so much for all your advice. So the update is we had another meeting and literally piled in all the information we had been given. There going to look in to redundancy but instead of paying cash give us the amount in products cause she owns a distribution aswell. Which doesn't involve me cause I've only been employed for 1 year. So I think she's going to do our account on tick for me and another girl who's under the 2 year make to give us a head start. But we did have letters yesterday for voluntary redundancy? This is all so confusing for me lol xx

Yes, getting a letter asking for voluntary redundancies is usually the first step in the closing down process. Consider the figure she is offering, it may be better than what you might get later on.
Personally I would not accept goods in lieu of cash payment - but that's for you to decide.
Remember that stock only has a certain shelf life and your boss will be looking to get rid of dead stock as she is unlikely to be able to return it to the wholesaler (and it is therefore valueless to her).

Please go and see a qualified adviser before agreeing to anything.
She can't force you to accept products in lieu of payment. Surely you'd be better getting the money and shopping around and choosing your own products. What if you decide to work in a different salon? She won't let you have the products then and you will have lost out on cash that the benefits people WILL take into account when calculating your support.

Latest posts

Back