Good idea or raving bonkers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyGeek

Reaction score
I opened my salon last week ... had a few customers in - so far so good but realise that a lot of work needs to go into it.

I have a friend who lives in a town about 3 miles away. She has just finished her NVQ level 2 beauty this month ... has previous trained in massage and holistic and is doing nails at college in September. She has just found herself a space to rent in her town two days a week (super excited for her) but is wanting to practise a bit more before she starts charging full price. She is currently advertising for practise models for treatments for £2.50 and up for eyelash and eyebrow tints, mini manicures, make up trials and hand massages.

ANYWAY - To the point. She has approached me about the possibility of bringing her beauty bed into my little hair salon one evening and doing a pamper party for a few select people to help us both. We would invite 5-6 "acquaintances" each - and charge an entrance fee.

The entrance would get them one of the above treatments with her, entry into a raffle for a prize, a money off voucher for my salon, a glass of fizz and nibbles followed by a visit from an Ann Summers or Body Shop rep to finish it off. Extra beauty treatments available but before party or during the reps visit.

This would get her the practise she wants - it would get feet through the door to look at the salon and then people might use their vouchers - and even if they don't then if they have a good evening they might mention my name to friends etc.

We were thinking £12-£15 for the 'ticket' .... a few pound from each for the fizz, nibbles etc. Throw in some products each and then buy some goodies for the raffle prizes and split anything left 50/50 and then do a donations box for if anybody wanted to leave us a little extra and extra treatments being available at £3 - £6 each with all profit from any extras going to beauty girl to cover travel expenses.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or is a bit too much business and pleasure?

We would hope to do maybe 2/3 of these parties for different people and then possibly do 1-2 a year if they were successful?

What do you think? Any further suggestions if you think it could work?

Thanks geeks xx

Anybody? 145 views and no replies is making me wonder if this is just a reaaaaally bad idea?!

Obviously any patch tests required would be done before hand and everyone is properly insured etc.

Good idea if you stick to smaller numbers & short treatments, time flies at these things & people hate sitting around feeling like a spare part. On problem with offering things very cheap is people then don't want to pay more next time. Sorry I can't say more x

I think it's a good idea as long as you make it clear that these prices are an offer rather than a norm.

To be truthfully honest that all sounds a lot of trouble and not worth the bother but I am a bloke and perhaps women love all that but I look at it from a business point of view.

Perhaps it would be ok if you were introducing a new product thats out to your customers but this sounds like its offering the usual services to people you know as you are inviting them, they may come cause they dont want to be rude and say no, and half will come anyway as I expect half will be friends and family that want to support you or just want a cheap deal.

Either way I dont see this helping business but your friend will gain a little more experience as long as she is not under pressure rushing to fit everyone in and starts making mistakes which would be a dissaster.

Latest posts

Back