Good quality metal tools?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelu

Reaction score
Fed up with tools going kind of rusty from tool disinfectant, nippers going blunt etc. What are the best tools to get for long term use?

Keep your tools in barbacide , that won't rust them and put some cotton discs in the bottom of the disinfection bowl to save blunting them.
I have many metal tools from various companies and never have rusting ....CND and Youngs mostly

Have to agree with Rinn in Barbacide I never got rusting but in mundo I have so tend to use mundo and then remove, seal in clean container and then use mundo spray in front of client, then for longer soak use Barbacide. That's stopped the problem.

Interesting! Will swap to barbicide then. Any tips for good SHARP nippers?

Interesting! Will swap to barbicide then. Any tips for good SHARP nippers?

I agree with Rinn and Maz.

Nippers that I would recommend are the Tweezerman ones! They're amazing!

Have a search on this forum as there is a thread going on them...they're my favourite ever! So easy to use and very sharp! x

Have to agree with Rinn in Barbacide I never got rusting but in mundo I have so tend to use mundo and then remove, seal in clean container and then use mundo spray in front of client, then for longer soak use Barbacide. That's stopped the problem.

Both Mundo Tool Disinfectants contain rust inhibitors. If you follow the instructions on the bottle and don't leave the tools to soak for an excessive period of time, you will not get any rust or oxidising issues.

Both products are designed for QUICK and EFFECTIVE disinfection to medical grade. There is no need (or any benefit) to leaving the tools soaking longer than stated.

Last edited:
In my State they have banned the use of barbicide. I now use Accel (accelerated hydrogen peroxide). Tools are packed in individual pouches and not to be opened until ready to use on your client. After you are done you have 20 mins to wash them up and repeat the process. I use Master Beauty implements and they give me a lifetime warranty on all surgical steel tools.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374844393.607486.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374844393.607486.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 164
In my State they have banned the use of barbicide. I now use Accel (accelerated hydrogen peroxide). Tools are packed in individual pouches and not to be opened until ready to use on your client. After you are done you have 20 mins to wash them up and repeat the process. I use Master Beauty implements and they give me a lifetime warranty on all surgical steel tools.
This looks great. I autoclaved all metal tools

What is the reason barbicide is banned?

Funny, they ban Barbicide but not the use of Credo blades i see :eek:

Barbicide is great for stylists, it was created "to kill barbers" great for disinfecting combs, brushes .. Etc however, it is not an acceptable disinfection for tools that come into contact with bodily fluids. This is what was taught in College and what each Spa has implemented here, we are all just following rules and regulations.

Funny, they ban Barbicide but not the use of Credo blades i see :eek:

Credo blades are frowned upon in our industry, yes. Untrained person can cause serious damage :( They are sold over the counter so any refular folk from the street can use it. That said, I trained with a Chiropodist and a well known foot surgeon and worked within his office for a year. I was to "peel" a minimum of 5000 oranges while in training to get a feel for it. (Lots of orange juice during that 6 months) I have been qualified and since 2006 I have never injured anyone, knock in wood! I am fully certain I can control that blade blindfolded :) I have implemented a no cutting rule for diabetics. Most of my pedicures ask me for the blade even when I feel it is not necessary.

Hi can I ask how you use the hydrogen peroxide and also what you use to seal the tools in the pouch. I'm mobile and very keen to have sealed tools to open I front of clients.

Many thanks

Hi can I ask how you use the hydrogen peroxide and also what you use to seal the tools in the pouch. I'm mobile and very keen to have sealed tools to open I front of clients.

Many thanks

Every supplier should have pouches available. If not then a medical supply store has them. I like Ikkona brand. I buy boxes of 200 pouches. I have a chemical tray that I submerge all the washed (hot soapy water/brush) tools in Accel for 15 mins. Then I rinse with clean running water and dry under a towel. I use a pair of tongs to place each piece inside the pouch and then seal the opening (self sealing sticky surface) I keep them inside a UV oven until ready to use.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374852811.288935.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374852811.288935.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 102

I also say if you want to use Barbicide it will do just fine for the industry needs, however.. Couple of years ago a whole load of NSS were caught red handed using Windex glass cleaner instead of Barbicide. Public outcry was the reason why we dont use Barbicide anymore!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374853013.143910.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374853013.143910.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 79

Many thanks

T36 and Viralex are two other popular ones to use in keeping your tools and hard surfaces clean

Credo blades are frowned upon in our industry, yes. Untrained person can cause serious damage :( They are sold over the counter so any refular folk from the street can use it. That said, I trained with a Chiropodist and a well known foot surgeon and worked within his office for a year. I was to "peel" a minimum of 5000 oranges while in training to get a feel for it. (Lots of orange juice during that 6 months) I have been qualified and since 2006 I have never injured anyone, knock in wood! I am fully certain I can control that blade blindfolded :) I have implemented a no cutting rule for diabetics. Most of my pedicures ask me for the blade even when I feel it is not necessary.

My original comment was not a shot at you hun, don't worry :hug:

I also say if you want to use Barbicide it will do just fine for the industry needs, however.. Couple of years ago a whole load of NSS were caught red handed using Windex glass cleaner instead of Barbicide. Public outcry was the reason why we dont use Barbicide anymore!

I remember this, shocking!

We use Marvcide and then autoclave in sterile pouches.

That is insane! Surely they cost roughly the same price?

Has anyone actually got any further recommendations for metal tools? I keep landing on this to see what's recommended, and it's all about sterilisation/sanitising etc!!! Desperately need cuticle nippers, but not keen on those shown so far......any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks x

Latest posts

Back