Google!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of Google. I have submitted my link to them and also got an account with adwords - but I'm not 100% sure how it works, and my site isn't coming up in a search.

My site is www.sarahsmobilebeauty.co.uk

Any help much appreciated :green:

xxx

You should be able to use Google Webmaster Tools (accessible via logging on to Google using your Google account details) - this will show you the status of your web site including whether it has been indexed by Google yet, and how many people have searched for it using particular search keywords. I am guessing you have already added the "verify-v1" tag to your web page if you have already submitted your site, as you will need to do that to register with Google Webmaster Tools (it just proves to Google that you are the owner of the web site).

Hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Ruth thanks for that, I've tried to copy and paste the tag into my home page but Google is saying they can't find the tag. My website is through Vistaprint which just has a site builder - you don't see any HTML and I can't upload a HTML file either :eek:

Ah, so are you saying that Vistaprint doesn't have a thing where you can set meta tags then? I would have thought it should give you that option somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think so - it's some sort of basic website builder which is easy to use but I can't find a thing about tags! TBH I've never even heard of them before lol.

What do they do and are they important? Also do you know anything about Adwords on Google? I've got it and you have to give them keywords and "bid" on them or something?

Sorry for all the questions! xx

Aha, meta tags! They are special tags that you can put in the "head" section of an HTML page that are read by search engines etc. Common ones being "description" (a brief description of your site), "keywords" (a list of keywords) and "robots" (instructions on whether you want search engines to index a particular page or follow links on that page or not). So definitely useful things to have control over.

But "verify-v1" is a custom meta tag specific to Google. When you add a site to webmaster tools on Google, it gives you some HTML code consisting of a "verify-v1" meta tag, for which the value is a long string of random letters and numbers. Google then checks your web page for that tag so that it can prove that the site is yours (as you will have added the tag).
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back