Got interview / practical at a salon.. Scared! Advice pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Biscuit

Reaction score
Hi All,

S'been a couple of years since I qualified with Creative and besides a couple of refresher class and a scuplting class I haven't really set the Nail world alight!

I have been doing nails ad-hoc here and there on friends and still take ages (3 - 3.5 hrs -Down from 4.5!) as I don't do them that regular. I do my own too and ALWAYS have a set on, but I hardly seem to have time to rebalance them and end up with them all breaking and I have to do a new set!

ANYWAY, part of the reason I don't do them more often is cos I work full time in a stressful job and as I take so long to do a set evenings are out of the question.

So, I enquired with a local salon that IMO has the best rep in town about a Sat job and they want to see me tomorrow. They don't seem phased by my timings and want me to bring a model to do a couple of nails on. (Luckily my chosen model has beautiful long healthy nail beds.)

But now I am panicking, I am probably really rusty... What will they be looking for from me? They no I am far from an expert!

Do I wear just what I'd wear to do nails (Creative Polo.) or go smart as it's an interview too?

Any advice gratefully received.

Miss B. x

I'm about in the same bout as you. I graduated from nail school in Dec and I'm presently going on interviews and being asked to do sets in front of the salon owners.
I try to get a feel for what it seems the dress code is at the salon and match it when I go in. If it's all black, top and pants, I'll wear that. If it's more casual, I go that way, etc. I think the most important thing is to be comfortable. And...relax!

Hi

congrats on the interview!

If you know what they wear at this salon then i would try and wear similar, otherwise i would just where my tunic and smart trousers with hair tied back.

When you are doing your interview nails don't panic and rush. I'm sure they would prefer to see someone take their time and be very thorough with prep and application and make sure you finish them off just right, buffing, cuticle oil etc, than someone who is very quick but don't produce anyting special.

Just explain that your timing will improve with more clients you get as you really want to make it in the beauty/nail industry.

good luck!! let us know how it goes.:)

xxx

Good luck with the interviews xxx to you all

Good luck with the interview, I'm sure you'll be fine!! Re the timing you'll get there the more you do the quicker you'll get!!! :) Let us know how you get on!! :)

Ive done a few of these, they know you are going to be nervous so usually are very nice to you and dont put pressure on you, just be yourself and try your best without rushing the nails, maybe practice on your model first doing a couple of nails each day in the run up to the interview and just leave two or three to do on the day, your lucky you can take a model in, on one of mine i had to do the boss her nails, that was nerve racking, good luck hun we are all behind you :hug:

hi miss b - try not to panic - the salon owner ill know that you will be nervous as everone is in interviews. whenever i went to interviews i wore something smart black trousers nice top ect. they will be looking for someone who produces a good end result not a rubbish one but does it in 2minutes flat!! also they will be probably be thinking about how you will interact with clients and current staff ect - so just be yourself and try to relax - im sure you will be fine let us know how you get on!
good luck tori x

good luck with your interview

i am sure you will do really well

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I go!

I think mine went well. Still waiting for her ti call me with her decision.

Latest posts

Back