Graduate completely starting out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateandLate

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need some good advice on starting out my own beauty business (mobile/based at my flat) completely from scratch. I have a degree in marketing and have worked in business for a little while now, however I'm not finding it satisfying at all despite it being a well paid job.

My passion has always been in beauty especially new trends and brands. I'm looking to learn one or two skills that I can perfect on family and friends, then slowly become part time (at the office, evenings and weekends) with a view to become completely independent (if it all works out) in the next 18 months :lol: .

The problem is I have NO formal training whatsoever, just what I have learnt from getting treatments done (lots of experience there lol!) and youtube etc. I'm looking for someone to give me some kind of idea where to start, maybe a training plan or reccomend some really good courses. I take this pretty seriously and I can't really see how doing a one day product led shellac/Nouveau lash course and then buying the kit can really be enough!!

Iv'e had enough experiences having a really mediocre treatment from people of Gumtree offering 'HD Brows' which aren't really HD Brows and clumpy eyelashes - I would really love to be great at what I do and would love to have a loyal retained client list.
Ideally I would love to be able to perfect shellac first but again I can't see how one day could teach me how to shape nails and all the other bits and bobs! I have looked into doing an NVQ/BTEC but I don't really have time to do a 2 year course, and after a 4 year degree I think it's a little bit too late.

Any advice would REALLY be appreciated as everyone on this forum seems to have so much great experience and opinions.

thanks in advance :lol:

Hi,
What I would do is def look into which treatments you want to provide and look at the best courses available if your not able to do the NVQ route.
.. if your looking at nail technician courses CND are the best by far ... And they also have courses which are accepted by all as they are so in depth and also recognised in the industry. More expensive but they are the best.

Some beauty academy's offer short diploma courses which you need to make sure are 'accredited' to gain insurance ... and you can also go back to do the assessments and written exams to convert your diplomas into NVQs...
Hope this helps xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

.... And yes your completely right one day courses are usually for a trained Nvq L2 or L3 which have the under pinning knowledge already ... But for a complete newbie usually leaves you stuck - as I'm sure a few on here will tell you, as you feel like you've had half the training you need before starting on clients - most have to pay for further training to feel confident before performing them on paying clients xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Thanks! I will look into CND training now, might as well learn from the best :)
That is very interesting that you can get a NVQ from a written assessment too, I live by a collage so I can talk to them about doing that.

The worst thing that could happen is that I book onto a lash/nail course and am completely blindsided and lost!

Latest posts

Back