Groupon offer for a tanning salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
I know there are lots of groupon threads but my query is a bit more specific so can anyone offer me any advice? I opened my tanning salon back in early May and have been pleased with how busy we were for a new salon....however it has really tailed off in the last two weeks....partly weather, partly as many of my customers were 6th formers at the local schools and have now gone off to university.... and also I guess that my business is seasonal and I just need to bed in for a full year to understand the patterns!! I am racking my brains as to the best way to bring in some new customers as winter draws in and am just about to contact both Groupon and Living Social. I am a little reluctant to use Groupon as I know many businesses who have struggled to cope with their fees, over-selling etc, but I figure that for my sunbed courses it could work nicely. My main overhead would be my electricity as I am not really giving the customer my time or that of my staff, just handing them some tokens and keeping our sunbeds clean. Also we offer spray tanning and nails as well as other bits and pieces so I'm hopeful that the spin off trade will be good. Other established tanning salons locally are pretty busy and I figure that I could take some of that business if folk knew we were actually here. We have succeeded well till now without advertising....just by using Facebook etc and we are about to have a huge M&S food store right on our doorstep next year so I am more than happy with things so far....I just need to boost things over the winter season. Anyone used Groupon or similar for a tanning salon...or any other tips/advice? Thank you x

Rather than groupon and the other people, call both, ask what they would charge a client on their site, then tell them you will think on it.

If for example they charge a client £10 and give you £5 of the charge then do your own promotion at £7. Your making £2 more than groupon would give you, you control the numbers, and you don't get deal finding non returners.

Get posters made for your windows or a board saying "beat the coupon sites! £7 for x service."

Print leaflets and post them, or do it as a timed deal and send out the leaflets with a cut off voucher with t&c's saying no photocopies. Cash value of 0.0001 and other t&c's available on request (have a full list pre printed incase).

This way clients get a batter deal than they would on Groupon and so do you! I'm imagining getting home from work to find a leaflet on the mat in green and red with black writing don't know why but its what I'm envisioning the colour scheme to be lol xoxo

Tomme has a GREAT idea! going to remember this for future reference :)

I agree that you should try and do some of your own promotions before going to Groupon or any of the sites like that. A well known tanning salon near me does a refer a friend system where you get 6mins free each when you refer someone to the salon (you have to buy 6mins before you get any free) and also BOGOF on a Sunday which is VERY popular. On average people at that salon do 6mins each time but will only be paying for 3 which is why i go every Sunday and have also reffered lots of my friends who go regularly.

Do leaflet drops with coupons for these offers and if you have a website put it on there. Offers for liking the FB page etc.

Having had a resident beautician use Groupon in my tanning salon , my opinion is steer well clear.

Not only do they insist that you reduce your services by a min of 50% but they then take 50% of your earnings plus vat.

Practitioners go along with this on the premise that you will get lots of repeat business. This often isn't the case. Clients don't want to pay the full price after having it reduced.

Thank you SOOO much everyone and especially Tomme!! I was obviously having enough doubts to have posted on SG and am glad I did! I'm thinking of doing a leaflet drop and really dropping my prices as you suggested...my only concern is getting the maximum possible exposure! There is no doubt that these sites get you massive exposure....but as you say it's the aftermath that worries me!!

Latest posts

Back