Groupon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to pay for Facebook offers - though you may make more money overall.

I was thinking of doing one but they do cost alt of money :(

Does anyone know a way around the high fees for facebook offers?

Jemima :)

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to read through all replays so apologies if I'm going over covered ground.
I ran some deals when I had my salon, they were great for filling the book up and made the salon look busy but such hard work for not a lot of money. I did retain some clients but in all honesty most were just after the best deal. I got tired of haggling with customers that wanted to exchange for something else and had so many not show for their appointment with no call or email and then expect to be able to rebook "because they had already paid"
I never worked with groupon, their commission was too high and when they did offer to run a deal I found a weeny but in the small print that stated once I had signed I would not be permitted to work with any other voucher site!
My advice if you were to run a deal would be:
1) Read all small print very carefully
2) Be very clear on your offer ie for what treatment it is valid and state a 48hr cancellation notice required otherwise voucher invalid
3) Haggle your commission, I had KGB down to 25% as a set commission and even 20% at times
4) Consider making your voucher only valid for your quieter times, it's saves turning away full paying customers and regulars and helps fill slots
5) Always give 110% in your voucher treatments as much of a slog as it seems, after all this is your reputation and you do want this client to return. You chose to run the deal and luckily they bought it :)

Chose your voucher company very cafe fully too, you will be associating your business with theirs so make sure that their reputation is tip top.

Good luck!

Hayley :)

Run a competition for exposure. ;-)

I have never had one bad review. People always like to point out the negative before the positive but fortunately this has not happened to me. ..(touch wood - - bashes head a few times) ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have not had any bad reviews either but I do know that it happens a lot with groupon. Im not a negative person. You sound rude. Have a little forum ettiquette. All I said was to be careful.

I have not had any bad reviews either but I do know that it happens a lot with groupon. Im not a negative person. You sound rude. Have a little forum ettiquette. All I said was to be careful.

Virtues wasn't being rude :) she just states things as she finds them, the trouble with reading text is you can't get a tone of voice through it :)

We've done a couple of deals for both hair & beauty, we've gained some very loyal regular clients from it.
Yes you will get some pains but it's how you deal with them.
I did find the beauty ones were bought more for gifts and hair was because they were looking for a new salon.

If you really think that comment with a little funny quip and ha ha after it 'sounds' rude please understand offence is taken not given and it is your problem... not mine.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am considering doing a groupon with my colleague I am beauty & nails she is holistic! We were thinking of coming up with a package specifically for groupon ie that doesn't have much cost for us only time and that won't affect our existing regulars. We will purely be using it to get our names out there! Any advice would be great!:/

I am considering doing a groupon with my colleague I am beauty & nails she is holistic! We were thinking of coming up with a package specifically for groupon ie that doesn't have much cost for us only time and that won't affect our existing regulars. We will purely be using it to get our names out there! Any advice would be great!:/

If your doing a special package that's not available to regular clients, ie on your price list, make sure you put the regular price high so the apparent discount is high but your not losing money.

Example I did a special mani/pedi package that's not available on my price list. I said the original value was £150 but I put it on groupon for £39. My actually cost for the package about £3

If your doing a special package that's not available to regular clients, ie on your price list, make sure you put the regular price high so the apparent discount is high but your not losing money.

Example I did a special mani/pedi package that's not available on my price list. I said the original value was £150 but I put it on groupon for £39. My actually cost for the package about £3

Yes this is a good point thanks for that

I've not done a groupon, or similar, for salon services, but I have done giveaways and special sales for the 'other' side of my life ( that I'm not allowed to mention on here!) it does work to an extent, and gives great exposure, just be aware that even as a marketing tool, services come at a cost.
Make sure your offer is as local as possible, and really carefully costed out. Hairdressers have a saying that the moment a salon does a groupon, it's about to close down.

I see it on the other forums I visit for my 'other' life, people fooled into giving their work away, thinking they'll get exposure and advertising. It ONLY works if you have more than one *beep* to sell! and in my case, giving away the first *beep* of my trilogy drove sales of *beeps* 2 & 3.

Your prices can only reflect your current price list. Groupon expect to see your price lists, so to make up a value of £150 would not be permitted. I asked the question when I first did a deal two years ago. However that said, in my opinion Groupon are very highly unlikely to take you to court for using another deal site. I have used two different sites, Groupon and then social living so probably I should have been in trouble, however be it on your own head I suppose if you do this, I doubt if they would even remember you!. £3 for the package Jen889?? Doubtful unless you work for no hourly rate with the heat and light off....I think you just mean your products...A little confusing maybe to those who do not understand accounts, or costs of sales.

Your prices can only reflect your current price list. Groupon expect to see your price lists, so to make up a value of £150 would not be permitted. I asked the question when I first did a deal two years ago. However that said, in my opinion Groupon are very highly unlikely to take you to court for using another deal site. I have used two different sites, Groupon and then social living so probably I should have been in trouble, however be it on your own head I suppose if you do this, I doubt if they would even remember you!. £3 for the package Jen889?? Doubtful unless you work for no hourly rate with the heat and light off....I think you just mean your products...A little confusing maybe to those who do not understand accounts, or costs of sales.

I've done quite a few groupon deals and I just tell them what I want to do, the price and the value of the deal BUT that said I'm in North America so groupon might work differently here. They don't tell you what deal you can do, we (owners) plan everything and then just tell them.

I never count my hourly rate into groupon or livingsocial deals (I understand that's just me and I'm not saying it's the right thing to do) only because the deals I do at usually IPL and the machine cost is basically nothing. Also being IPL the areas I do are small and most client are in and out within 5min-10min. My rent is extremely low and all inclusive so yes £3 is what my last deal cost me :p hope that made sense lol

I've done quite a few groupon deals and I just tell them what I want to do, the price and the value of the deal BUT that said I'm in North America so groupon might work differently here. They don't tell you what deal you can do, we (owners) plan everything and then just tell them.

I never count my hourly rate into groupon or livingsocial deals (I understand that's just me and I'm not saying it's the right thing to do) only because the deals I do at usually IPL and the machine cost is basically nothing. Also being IPL the areas I do are small and most client are in and out within 5min-10min. My rent is extremely low and all inclusive so yes £3 is what my last deal cost me :p hope that made sense lol

Ah yes North America probably is different to the UK ha ha. You can't increase your prices here only what is stated on your price lists. Good to talk to you. :lol:

This thread is really interesting. I've been called by Living Social in the last few days wanting to do an offer for me.

So far I've refused but there is one treatment I'm considering that they're very keen on. There is less than pennies product cost associated so only my time and as salon costs would be there regardless of whether I had a client in or not then the profit margin, even with commission still works out at a decent hourly rate.

It will be interesting to see how far I can push them on their commission, currently they're asking for 50% (my cut being 50% less VAT!) - yeah right, that's not going to happen, but to negotiate with them and perhaps promote a service which I love doing but isn't so popular might be fun!

xx

In my salon which has been established 8 years we have done 4 groupon deals. The 1st 2 were rubbish & we made a loss!
But once you know how groupon works you can use it in your favour!
My new deal has just gone live today.
It is a decleor facial & scalp. 40 min work! It is selling £18 & I get £11. This makes me a few pound covers wages & costs.
But the way I'm going to make my money is on the up sell! We offer a upgrade when the client rings up. £12 full decleor facial inc back diagnostic massage. £7 if they want to upgrade the 10 min scalp to decleor 30 min scalp! So far we have upgraded all but 2 that have booked in!
We are also offering voucher for £5 off decleor treatment & 10% off retail. We have a staff comp going to upgrade & selling is all pushed!
Groupon deals have grown my business. You just need to know how to sell them & use it to your advantage. Not there's!
We also have at least 5 loyal clients from our last deal we did.

I'd also just like to add we aren't doing the deal because we're broke/struggling. It is an advertising method which doesn't cost us a penny & earns us money too.

If anyone wants a nosy this is our deal!
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/sheffield/beauty-lounge-10/33886675

Latest posts

Back