H.A.B.B. The Scoop!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Dear SKIN GEEKS - I am posting this again in the Skin Geek area as I know many of you may not be interested in nails and may miss this. It is important to ALL of us! :hug:

OUR CHARITY – SO LET’S OWN IT!!

Recently I was honoured to be asked to join the Hair & Beauty Benevolent Fundraising Committee (HABB) to add support for the beauty and nail side of the charity. Up until now, Jayne Lewis-Orr (HABB Committee President, Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of Health & Beauty Magazine as well as Hairdressers Journal), has been the only other individual representing us.

The committee is made up of some wonderful, passionate and influential individuals from the hair industry so I am going to enjoy the challenge of pushing nails and beauty up and along par with exciting world of hair!

So what is the Hair & Beauty Benevolent and why is it important to the world of nails and beauty? Many of us are not aware of HABB’s existence or what it can do for us as a business or individually, so PLEASE let me tell you about a charity that we can call our own; a charity that was set up to help each and every one of us representing the Nail, Beauty and Hair cultures.

HABB is OUR charity and for over 150 years it has supported those industry individuals that have faced difficulties in life such as illness, bereavement or financial hardship.

HABB has been helping people, both young and old and in some cases making them regular beneficiaries or by giving one-off grants to provide essential equipment - especially to those who are no longer able to enjoy a full life within the work place that was once their existence and passion.

HABB now has over 500 beneficiaries whom we help financially, emotionally and practically!

HABB has 90 children on our Children’s Welfare Fund with each child receiving pocket money, clothing and holiday contributions or occupational therapy for those with special needs. Some children have severe disabilities or have come from an abusive background; others may have lost one or both of their parents.
We, with your support, are there to help them; we are here to help you and I think it is incredible that a charity exists for our sake; one that can make a difference to our industry should something go terribly wrong for us.

So, how can you help your industry?

Every year, we must raise £400k and although we have some very generous sponsors, both in manufacturers and the trade media, we need more help to meet our target. A seminar raising £4000 could provide enough funds to support 10 of the children on our Children’s Welfare Fund for an entire year, but here’s the thing - we need more members from the nail and beauty arena particularly!!

We need to hold various fundraising activities throughout the year that will excite its participants and allow them to ‘give-back’ at the same time! We need your support by attending these events because (and I can’t stress this enough) – this is YOUR charity and YOU HAVE TO OWN IT!!

Did you know that if every nail artist, hairdresser and beauty therapist in the UK donated £1.00, we could reach our annual target with ease!! On May 4th 2007, you will ALL have that opportunity to help. Our HABB A GREAT DAY will give EVERY industry member the chance to donate £1.00 - you may need HABB one day so this is an easy, thoughtful way of supporting your industry charity! I will also be organising events for 2007 so PLEASE watch your trade media for information!!

I feel very passionately about this and would dearly LOVE to see three great industries, all individual in their talents and strengths, yet all one artistic and passionate group of people – come together under the HABB banner - our charity, so let’s do the right thing, support HABB and OWN IT for ourselves, and our families!

Samantha Sweet

Congratulations on joining the HABB committee Samantha, I'm sure you'll be a wonderful ambassador for our industry.:hug:
I for one would be more than happy to support this great institution. I've read up some more on the work of the HABB, very worthwhile.
So come on geeks, rally round and let's do something amazing for our industry.

Yehhh thank you Odette - wonderful PMA - :hug: :hug:

So how do we donate ?

Sounds like a fab idea, I had heard of it before but never really knew much about it. Thanks for giving us the details :green: xx

Very interesting. I will look out for it in the future and as other people have said how do I donate?

Latest posts

Back