Hair advice - adding clear to your colours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen1989cuttie

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I was wodering if anyone adds clear to your colours?

i understand clear will give you shine and make the colour last longer ( so i've read) but i was wondering if adding clear to your colours will it change the end result?

for example:

if i was to add clear to matrix 10A + 10V or in wella 10/11 or 10/89 what would happen to my end result colour?

would it cancel out the ashyness? would it not do anything to the end result and just give shine? would it perhaps make the end result lighter in colour?

hope someone can help me out x

I don’t think adding Clear can extend the longevity of permanent colour. It’s not changing the chemical composition of the permanent tint.

I’d assume it would dilute the colour as you’re mixing developer to the same ratio, but there will be fewer colour molecules in the final solution.

I would normally use clear as a glossing treatment to brighten up their natural hair colour or existing tint that hasn’t faded too much.

Hi geeks :)

I was wodering if anyone adds clear to your colours?

i understand clear will give you shine and make the colour last longer ( so i've read) but i was wondering if adding clear to your colours will it change the end result?

for example:

if i was to add clear to matrix 10A + 10V or in wella 10/11 or 10/89 what would happen to my end result colour?

would it cancel out the ashyness? would it not do anything to the end result and just give shine? would it perhaps make the end result lighter in colour?

hope someone can help me out x
In my experience it's used to dilute tone in demi /quasi colours. In permanent colour it's used to give half a level of lift. It only add shine if you use a demi/quasi with the lowest developer by itself not added to colour. If you was to add clear to 10/86 (as a toner)what you would technically be creating is 10/086. If you add it to 10.11 alto lift you will get an extra half a level of lift, and obviously less tone.
Clear (permanent) is also used to removed direct dyes /stains.

Latest posts

Back