Hair and beauty prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie101

Reaction score
This is not to cause an argument or anything but I'm just wondering why hairdressing prices are say cut and blow dry - £25 and beauty luxury manicure - £20 - two completely different services yes but why can hairdressers charge a lot higher prices when they use less products and even time in some cases?

Hope that make sense haha

Hmmm, all sorts of things to take into account:

Why does anything we buy cost more than something else? Cornflakes can be bought for 99p and some are nearly £3 a box!

Think about - the stylist/technicians time, product costs, electricity, water, laundry costs, staff wages, salon rental charges, how much you want to earn from minimum service, what type of products you're using. Where you price yourself in the market.

Ummmmmmm.............why can a plumber charge £60 an hour, why can a solicitor charge a fortune to get his secretary to print a letter that he signs, why does a care worker get paid less than £7 an hour to lift, clean and care for 6+ elderly patients in an hour, this argument could go on forever?

In any salon I've ever worked in, the hairdressers have always been paid the most, as the services require more skill, and less product. Plus there are fewer good hairdressers around, hence they are paid more.
Beauty therapy is more about the products.

hairdressers train for longer,and yes whilst being able to perform nail services requires training and talent a hairdresser trains for years to be able to perform services such as a cut and blow dry let alone perform chemical services hence hairdressers being able to charge what they do.to be honest I don't think these services are comparable in any way with regards to pricing,they both involve different skill sets,products etc x

got mi tin 'at and popcorn, i'll save this for later ;):eek:

no, but really the market sets the price in general & i wonder if there's a perceived total value to play? so the lady pays £25 for her hair every 6 weeks, over the year thats £215 (8.6visits to be precise ;-) ) but has a manicure every 2 weeks, that's £520, so in this case the lady perceives the value of the manicurist at nearly twice as much as the hairdresser :twisted: :cool:

got mi tin 'at and popcorn, i'll save this for later ;):eek:

no, but really the market sets the price in general & i wonder if there's a perceived total value to play? so the lady pays £25 for her hair every 6 weeks, over the year thats £215 (8.6visits to be precise ;-) ) but has a manicure every 2 weeks, that's £520, so in this case the lady perceives the value of the manicurist at nearly twice as much as the hairdresser :twisted: :cool:

Your correct, however the cost of service is far higher to the manicurist than the hairdresser. Profit on a haircut is far far higher.

I don't mean to put them treatments together to compare them, I just mean how can they charge £25 and use just a pair of scissors and beauty charge say £20 and use how much worth of products in that time?
I agree with you saying we get more money in longer run ( with your yearly adding up haha :D ) but we use more products in that time too to replace so we don't actually get that much profit compared to hairdressers.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :eek:

I'm thinking that it's just because hairdressers are better? :smack:

Paa haa ha!

I'm thinking that it's just because hairdressers are better? :smack:

Paa haa ha!

If I didn't train in my level 2 hairdressing I would take offense! haha :lol:

Beauty therapists are better they have more a&p knowledge and more of a variety treatments to carry out ;) haha :biggrin:

Just for the record, I charge 42.50 for a trim.

52 weeks-: 6 weekly = 8.66 visits per year x 42.50 = 368.33 per year

We charged 20 quid for a shellac app, most came 3 weekly.
52-:3= 17.33 x 20= 346.66 per year.

Add in the fact that your product cost is approx 4 times what the hair product cost is, and the margin for hair is far higher. Bear in mind both services take the same time, and same premises cost.

If I didn't train in my level 2 hairdressing I would take offense! haha :lol:

Beauty therapists are better they have more a&p knowledge and more of a variety treatments to carry out ;) haha :biggrin:

I'm qualified in both babe, so am pretty impartial.

Just to mention as well that we change say £28 for a cut using "just a pair of scissors"...don't forget to take into account electricity, water, shampoo, products, cost of said scissors and chair rent/wage etc...

Latest posts

Back