Hair colour advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_Bart

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to achieve a rich warm chocolate brown base with caramel blonde balayage pieces round the front and scattered through the back just from mid lengths to ends. I know you will want to know what I have on my hair at the moment so here goes. Since is used colour B4 last year I stayed pretty light balayage with a base of a warm level 7. I stupidly decided to get highlights and all over colour in summer, they used loreal in the salon I went to. End of summer this year I put a mix of demi perm redken shades eq cream a mix of 5bc and 7wn all over as I didn't like the highlights, leaving out some sections that were blonde and glossing the whole lot with shades gloss mix of 9nb and 9aa hoping to produce a warm caramel. It looked good..warm aurburn but faded so quickly.

I want to go darker and richer for winter but keep some balayage pieces a little lighter and warmer. I decided on loreal majirel 5.35 as the base, not wanting to overlap bleach, I foiled some pieces out of the way and smudged the base colour down as far as I wanted it to go, then did the same gloss formula as above all over on wet hair after washing the perm colour off. I also had half of it cut off at the same time into a shoulder skimming graduated bob so a lot of the over processed damaged hair has gone. This was done just yesterday.

The colour looks nice but it is much warmer and a bit lighter than I expected, still very auburn. I was hoping for a rich, chocolate brown with subtle warmth/red tones under light. Whatever goes on it lately it seems to want to pull a similar shade of auburn. Also the pieces I left out that were blonde do not stand out against the darker base as I had hoped.

What do you suggest I do? I want to do it again within the next couple of weeks. As I want a rich base colour should I use another perm? Especially as the demi perms don't seem to last on me? And if I want to get the definition between the base and the balayage would I be better off colouring the whole lot with the base and then taking the balayage highlights through after?

Are there any brands/formulas you would recommend to achieve the desired results?

Sorry for the essay but I know it's hard to advise without knowing what is already on my hair. :)

Why don't you enrol on a hairdressing course if you're interested in doing it properly? Otherwise, visit a professional.

Thanks for your input but I came here for advice! My friend is doing it for me, she is newly qualified, very good at applying the colour but still learning as I'm sure your aware many top colourists are still learning, that's why I see so many actual colourists and stylists asking for advice on here. And FYI I have been to many professionals believe me and the ones I've been to over the last couple of years have not listened to me, it's been a case of rushing to get the next client in unfortunately so I've gone with my mate who takes pride in what she does and is eager to be the best she can be. If anyone has some actual advice I'd be very grateful!

Thanks.

I agree!

I would be mortified if someone questioned me like that.

This site is to bounce ideas off each other, we all learn from experience and also learn from mistakes.

What does your friend think about what you should do?

Sorry to burst your bubble but you won't get any technical advice on here as you're not a professional.

Also as a professional myself, I wouldn't be very happy with a client telling me what to use based on what she'd read on the internet.

It's like googling an illness and telling your doctor you've already sussed out what you're suffering from and what they must prescribe to treat you with, without allowing them to properly diagnose you. :(

Last edited:
😂tut tut AcidPerm come on now I thought we have to be nice on here, that's what you mods keep telling us!

And FYI I went to the doctors the other week I had diagnosed myself with blood clots on the brain thanks to google 😂 she laughed at me but was also very nice & then proceeded to do her own evaluation of my head pain

Why don't u get off your high horse hair cutz! U r not a doctor, ur a hairdresser! If the questions offend u, don't read them! My mate was with me when I sent the message so it is kind of like a professional asking for advice! I'm a makeup professional, if someone asked for my advice I would give it and if I didn't want to I certainly wouldn't insult them for asking! Take your bad attitude to someone else's thread before I report you!!!

It's against Forum rules to give technical advice to a non pro.

Please visit a professional hairdresser or training academy.

Absolutely agree with the above. We should be encouraging others not beating them down. I find it so upsetting when I read some of the things that have been said on here lately. We learn from our mistakes. The OP shouldn't be humiliated every time a question is asked, their qualifications questioned, their education questioned. It's comes across quite bullish and arrogant.

Maybe get your friend to sign up to the site xx

I agree babes,

I'd be totally offended too Everyone likes to check things against someone else's judgement sometimes but we do need to follow site rules, as I said get your friend to ask - less hassle that way ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

As has been suggested La_Bart, perhaps it would be better for your friend, who you have confirmed is a newly qualified hair professional, to register as a site member. She can then, provided she has completed her profile adequately, ask the questions on behalf of her client, ie. yourself.

In the meantime, AcidPerm is quite correct by stating that detailed technical information, particularly colour formulas, will not be given to those who are unqualified.

Latest posts

Back