Hair colour and colour trends hate it or love it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanSmith

Reaction score
Thought I would post this topic for advice and the see others views. I'm back in hairdressing after leaving to try other things. My passion is styling cutting and hair up but when it comes to colour I just get frustrated, nervous, and just hate doing it. I understand colour I can mix formulas and do the trend techniques and have the skill and knowledge but just can't stand doing it.. It's how hard it is explaining to clients that colour is not magic and in some cases what they want can't be done. Especially when it comes to free hand lightening tech and ombre balayage which I find horrible and annoying! But will stop ranting and ask what others think about it all? Have you ever felt like this where you have the knowledge and confidence but just don't want to do it? How do you manage people who just don't take no for an answer or expect the impossible eg black to platinum blond?

Thought I would post this topic for advice and the see others views. I'm back in hairdressing after leaving to try other things. My passion is styling cutting and hair up but when it comes to colour I just get frustrated, nervous, and just hate doing it. I understand colour I can mix formulas and do the trend techniques and have the skill and knowledge but just can't stand doing it.. It's how hard it is explaining to clients that colour is not magic and in some cases what they want can't be done. Especially when it comes to free hand lightening tech and ombre balayage which I find horrible and annoying! But will stop ranting and ask what others think about it all? Have you ever felt like this where you have the knowledge and confidence but just don't want to do it? How do you manage people who just don't take no for an answer or expect the impossible eg black to platinum blond?

I get like this, I'm only qualified to level 2 so when people ask me to strip colour and fix it it's difficult to explain that it's not what I am qualified to do. I know how to do it theoretically and had a go in college with my tutor, at colour corrections but I wouldn't do it on my own clients. I hate basic foils and all over colours or even root touch ups!

If I get an impossible request like "I chucked colour b4 all over my head and want yiu to make me baby blonde" I simply tell them to shave it off and buy a wig! I joke, seriously I refer them to my friend who is a very excellent advanced experienced colourist. I explain that they need some serious correction and they will not get a beautiful clean blonde in one go. Better to just be honest and straight forward.
I just like to cover all my beauty, I love hair up and cuts too. Difference is, I have zero confidence in my colour and that's y I quit level 3. Disheartening as I was loving it until I felt too overwhelmed and simply not good enough x

Oh yes! Lol! I've also come back after a break doing something else and dya know what! ....it's the same in any client/customer based industry. They will want the complete opposite or the most impractical thing for their needs. But what I have realised it hair & beauty is a lot simpler in some ways. They are in your chair because they want to be and know they will be getting charged for it. I was doing sales and they can take up a massive amount of your time and walk out the door and not spend a penny! So disheartening

So don't beat yourself up you can only do your best and you can hold your head up knowing you havnt compromised anyone's hair by doing what they ask rather than what's practical. Or maybe you could get yourself into a position that you can concentrate on what you do have a passion for

I've really struggled getting to grips with Ombre/balyage, but I did one tonight and I loved it so much. I'm scared of doing it because I'm not confident in it, but I can do it.

I think you just need to throw yourself in a little bit more, once you get more confidence you will love it.

And if your not enjoying colouring the hair then maybe you should just be a cutting stylist. If your not enjoying it then your work will start to deteriate.

Or go to some hair shows, get some motivation! x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back